Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

n00b Help: Springs and Shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default n00b Help: Springs and Shocks...

Ok, I've been searching and reading alot, and hell I'm gonna post, and hope you guys don't get mad at me ;)

Anyways, I'm looking into getting a slightly sportier setup for my xA. I have a couple general questions, and one or two specific questions, so be nice

1) If I drop with the TRD springs, can I still go with the stock shocks? Or would a smart person still replace the shocks?

2) Are the TRD shocks good enough for springs such as the megan, Hotchkis or H&R?

Basically, what I'm looking for, is a drop between 1-2" and less body roll etc. The springs I've found thus far in searching that look good in price for me, are TRD, Hotchkis and megan. But I cant find much organized content or feedback on any of them. As far as I can see, the megan's are the most "hardcore" out of the 3, and the TRD are the least. But my worry is about shocks, I want to make sure the shocks I get can handle the springs I get. Also, price is a concern. I like the attractive price of the megan's but im concerned with the drop, if TRD shocks are enough...

Also, at the same time, Im looking at the hotchki's set of springs and sway bars, anyone have any good experience with correctly installed sway bars? Feel any significant difference?

Sorry for all the questions, but I simply was having a hard time finding good thought out answers while searching, so please forgive me
Old 02-10-2005, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Admin Emeritus
SL Member

In my opinion, you dont need to replace the shocks yet, that car is still spanking brand new, but hey its your money. I have seen 2 shock replacements for the scion:1 is the trd replacements & 2 would tokico adjustable. You might want to check other sites out their that carry different springs, because they might be able to give different drop amounts you might be looking for or maybe a better price. Springs, shocks, & swaybars are pretty much straight forward to install. Look on the tech forum somewhere there might be a tech article on how to install springs & sway bars. Hope this helps you out
Old 02-10-2005, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I current run TRD Springs on stock shocks. I haven't had any problems so far, but then again, I haven't even put 3k miles on my xA that's 5 months old.

I can't comment on your 2nd question, but I know the TRD shocks are designed to work with the TRD springs, which is about a 1" drop.

If your looking for TRD Springs for an xA, PM me. I'm gonna be letting mine go once my H&R springs come in this week.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:01 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Might I suggest looking into the H&R Cup kit?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...artNum=31023.1

If it is the fact that you want the most compatible set up then I would go with something like that or the TRD shock/springs. This will give you the longest life for the shocks since they are designed to work together. As for the sway bar I have heard of some people who were impressed with the Hotchkis setup.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Haha, H&R Cup Kits... I started that thread and man, am I so disappointed with TireRack jacking up the price by $85 bucks overnight after I started that thread. Even the Race Springs that I was looking at went up by $20. But like Roger from TR said, H&R upped their price so they had to up theirs as well.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Admin Emeritus
SL Member

i run trd springs on stock shocks & i've had my almost 2 years now. I got about 23000 miles on the car & it seems to run just fine.