Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

spring and shock combo sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the TRD shocks are made by KYB some people like the adjustable shocks personally kyb is all I will run on my cars monroe shocks are great if you are a cruiser. and as far as all these otehr springs there fine for cruising but I drive hard and TRD is the only spring cold rolled no other spring can compare no matter the drop the manufacturing process is substandard. I drive my Xa very hard in corners my life depends on good tires rims brakes springs and shocks as well as my sway bar and strut tower brace and energy suspension bushings. I just won't bet my life on a set of springs that aren't made to the highest manufacturing standards and TRD are the only ones out that are. There is no argument to that. cold rolled springs are always superior just like a mandrel bent exhaust is better than one that isn't and a solid sway bar is better than a hollow bar and a welded on sway bar in the rear is better than bolting it on thats why mine is fabricated from 1 inch around cold rolled steel and welded on. No matter what people advertise you really have to look at the manufacturing process and 90 percent of springs are made by one company and just powdercoated diffrent colors and sold in diffrent grades to diffrent companies to resale this is common with all cars. if your cruising I guess ti doesn't matter what you get and monroe will soften your ride you can send me all your used kyb shocks if you want lol if your driving hard I stand by going with TRD and KYB shocks even though you don't get as much of a drop.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider25
and as far as all these otehr springs there fine for cruising but I drive hard and TRD is the only spring cold rolled no other spring can compare no matter the drop the manufacturing process is substandard.
eh??? ...

TRD aren't the only springs that are cold rolled steel. Tanabe, Espelier, Zeal/Endless and even hotchkis to name a few. None of those companies are substandard.

I drive my Xa very hard in corners my life depends on good tires rims brakes springs and shocks as well as my sway bar and strut tower brace and energy suspension bushings. I just won't bet my life on a set of springs that aren't made to the highest manufacturing standards and TRD are the only ones out that are. There is no argument to that.
Sadly, TRD are far from the best parts out there. They do make decent parts for the cost however. If you like them, that's great! I'm glad there is someone talking about them! But, they are far from the finest quality.

the TRD shocks are made by KYB some people like the adjustable shocks personally kyb is all I will run on my cars monroe shocks are great if you are a cruiser.
I thought TRD shocks/struts had Tokico stamped right on them? Not KYB.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hotchkis are not cold rolled teir advertising makes it sound like they are. Tanabe are a bit better with cold wound but there is a diffrence in the manufacturing process. I am not familiar with the other brands. KYB is clearly stamped on my factory shocks. I have run adjustable shocks before and I prefer KYB my personal preference but I believe they make a superior shock. Alot of companies make there springs sound like they are cold rolled through their advertising you really have to get on the phone and grill people to find out. from all the research I have done TRD are cold rolled and are very good springs I have had mine for awhile with no problems and absolutly love them no bouncy ride and they stick in the corners. Toyota selected TRD for their high specifications and I trust their processes and rigourous testing very much.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok.. please inform me the differences in the cold rolling process.

Tanabe:
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/manufacturing_spring.asp

Hotchkis are also def. made from cold rolled steel. I know John personally. And have witnessed many testing sessions first hand.

TRD doesn't really make ANY of their parts. I'm not putting them down what so ever. Just making a point. You mentioned KYB is stamped on the OEM shocks. It's also interesting to point out that on the TRD shocks, they are marked Tokico if I'm not mistaken. So who is TRD again? BTW, who makes TRD springs? LOL

What other adjustable shocks have you run? Just trying to see where you are coming from and better understand your point of view. Again, for discussion's sake. If you like KYB, you like KYB.. Nothing wrong with that.

TRD's high specifications?? Sadly, TRD doesn't compare to other aftermarket parts because they are forced to follow OEM compliance. They are a blip on the radar just past factory parts in my book. However, I believe they are priced right and perform well. But, If I had a choice.. they wouldn't be my first.

Best Regards,
Old 07-05-2006, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well I called all over including hotchkis before I bought my springs and everyone told me they were not cold rolled thats why I went with the TRD if it is a terminology issue i don't know. but I also read threads of alot of so called top springs where people were having alot of problems alot of that came from reading about tein. I have a few friends that have tein on their cars and I personally do not like them. I have driven a Xa with the hotchkis springs and they were very bouncy. I also read threads about problems with them. The only complaint I have ever heard about TRD is they aren't as low as some people would like them to be so that is what I went with and I called alot of companies. I used the spring rate sticky and started calling and couldn't get a definitive answer from people so I went with TRD. I haven't had a problem their great springs and they perform very well. and I know the upgrade kit for the Xa is KYB as well according to car and driver now they may be changing this for some reason that I don't know about but I have always liked KYB and I will run KYB I have run koni and other brands on other cars and they were fine for awhile but they seemed to give me problems. once I switched to KYB on my cars I get long life and have not had failure. You may know something I don't about the springs but all I know is TRD was the only company that could tell me they were cold rolled. So thats what I went with and have been extremely pleased. I guess thats all I have to say. My suspension is done I absolutely love it and as soon as I can get boost on the car in a carb legal supercharger I'm planning on doing alot of SCCA racing.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I hate Tein as well. See, we didn't even know that about eachother.

Best Regards!
Old 07-15-2006, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep yep nice to know we have one thing in common lol and I learned alot from your posts too. I hope manufacturers will be more clear in the future about what is cold rolled but I like my springs and I'm sure you like yours so thats all that matters
Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member

Default shock/spring combos

I just installed TRD springs and Monroes all around...I must say, despite all the hype on the monroes, I was rather disappointed. Granted I live in Chicago and the roads here are one pothole after another, but I think it rides worse now than before. It is fine at very low speeds and small bumps. but on rough roads it really jumps around. I am gonna bite the bullett and do what I should have done the first time...Koni's are on order.