Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Springs but not shocks..asking to blow shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

question from a total n00b here, but doesn't this also depend on the AMOUNT of the drop? 1" drop from TRD springs that are stiffer than stock would probably work fine with the stock equipment, where a 2"+ progressively wound spring would not, correct? thanks!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by dante
question from a total n00b here, but doesn't this also depend on the AMOUNT of the drop? 1" drop from TRD springs that are stiffer than stock would probably work fine with the stock equipment, where a 2"+ progressively wound spring would not, correct? thanks!
TEIN and GoldLine both have a 2 inch drop and they both said they were designed to work with the OEM equipment.

If TRD's 1 inch drop was designed to work WITH the OEM stuff, why do they sell the struts and shocks, and scare you into thinking you need them?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Originally Posted by dante
TEIN and GoldLine both have a 2 inch drop and they both said they were designed to work with the OEM equipment.

If TRD's 1 inch drop was designed to work WITH the OEM stuff, why do they sell the struts and shocks, and scare you into thinking you need them?
And the answer is $$$$$$$$$$$ they want it all.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRD Web site
Factory vehicle suspensions are designed for everyday street use, but do not meet the needs of more advanced drivers. TRD's shock absorbers and struts, however, are specifically designed to accommodate the aggressive driving style of today's performance enthusiast. TRD has analyzed the data derived from extensive testing conducted on each model vehicle, under a variety of driving and road conditions. The result: shock absorbers which have been perfectly tuned to provide enhanced road feel, better cornering and roll resistance and consistent damping performance under heavy-duty use. TRD's line of shock absorbers provide the perfect blend of performance, durability and safety under even the most demanding use.
http://toyota-trd.jp/en/strt/s_shckab.html

They are a more agressive shock. You can use the OEM ones to save money, but a month later you will wish you just did it right the first time. I just ordered them both and they should be arriving this Monday. I will pay a local shop $50 to install, and it will save me an entire Saturday. I have the know-how and tools to do it myself. I give some dap to anyone who does it themselves, but being able to relax on a Saturday is worth more than $50 to me-