Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

tein s techs or tein basics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Default tein s techs or tein basics?

Ok guys not a real big expert on suspension but i've been pondering what to get for my box either the s techs or the basics from tein. I have a buddy that is really into suspension and he tells me that the basics are going to be well worth it for ride quality and drop. But the s tech springs are cheaper but i don't know the benefits of these so please help me out thanks
Old 09-02-2004, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Springs Vs. Coilovers...really, no contest.

Coilovers are worth it IF you can afford them...just like everything else in life!

The ride will be better, and you will have a matched shock and spring going on with the coilover setup from Tein.

The user HAHAJOEY went from Tanabe springs to Tein Basics...PM him for his experience.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've asked this question to Tein once before regarding my wife's xB. She wanted a softer ride so I was debating on the H-Tech and Basic kit as well. From what they told me, the spring rate on the springs will be a little softer than the coilovers, but with the Basics, you get the height adjustability. If you go to SS, you get dampening adjustability too. Since my wife wasn't going for that dropped effect, we really didn't need the adjustability that the Basic offered, so we got the H-Techs instead. I got mine from Jeff @ streetimage. Great guy to deal with.

Most of the time, what you decide is what you feel most comfortable with. If you want the dropped effect and also have superb handling, get the Basics. If you just trying to get rid of the wheel gap, and have good handling, get the S-Techs. ...One more thing about the basics though, if you are going for the extreme dropped look, you might want to reconsider the Teins. Other people on the board say it doesn't drop low enough, so they ended up getting Tanabe's or JIC.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For $150 you can get springs and lower your car and it will handle better. With Tein basics you are spending hundreds of dollars and for about $200 more you can get the whole fully height and damper adjustable. So basically spend a little or if your going to spend a lot go all the way and get the Tein SSs.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

well i already ruled out the SS's cause im not going to be using the box for a track car so i don't need dampining adjustibility i just want a good ride and a good drop i think i'll be going with the basics
Old 09-03-2004, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbox83
well i already ruled out the SS's cause im not going to be using the box for a track car so i don't need dampining adjustibility i just want a good ride and a good drop i think i'll be going with the basics
IMHO I'd check out the S-Techs first, if you are happy with them, you just saved yourself from nearly blowing several hundred dollars, rather than a mere $150. Just think of the other things you can do with that extra money. Not that I'm saying that Basics are bad, they are very good I'm sure but the real question is do you really need them? Honestly Tein Sales team quoted me the same thing when I asked about Basics. I was ready to buy the Basics, but they were very honest and told me that If I didn't really need the adjustability go for the springs instead. Over here in the SF Bay Area we have our fair share of steep driveways, parking lot wheel blocks, and speed bumps that it just ain't funny to lower your car too much and then scrape like a be@tch.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats a very good point. I have s-tech and been happy with it. I wanted the lowest drop but i'm surely going to scrape somewhere/somehow. with the s-tech i got the fair drop and the peace of mind that iI won't scrape, I don't need to slow down and do angle driving(too annoying for the motorist on your back).
I hope you made a right choice,