Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Lowering Springs???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Lowering Springs???

Can anybody tell me how good or bad the TRD lowering springs are?? I heard its only a 1 inch drop. Does it even look dropped? also how is the ride (stiff, smooth)?? Is it better to go with TRD springs and shocks if i want a drop with a luxury car ride? Sorry for all the questions but im thinking about buyin one next week. Need all the answers
Old 10-30-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people on this forum will say TRDs are not worth it compared to other aftermarket springs. The 1" drop isnt much, but you can kind of tell it is dropped. The ride is very stiff too.

For a comfortable ride most people will say go with Tein H-Techs and then Koni Yellow shocks/struts. Those springs drop you around an inch and ride really good.

If your option is TRDs or nothing, then I say go with TRDs.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey dude, I put the TRD springs on my tC and it looks sweet and handles even better.

I got about 2" drop front and back. I left the stock struts. Doodle

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 10-30-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I did the whole nine. The Springs, shocks, form TRD and sways front and rear from hotchkiss. Car handles like a dream now.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:37 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did Tanabe NF210's not the DF210's the NF's sit slightly little lower then the TRD's

and i used the TRD strut and shock dampers.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 10-31-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD springs/ shocks

hmm...the ride is stiff huh...well..i want the dealership to cover it with the warrenty so its trd or nothin...but i dont like stiff rides.. what if i only take the TRD springs with stock shocks?? will the ride be less stiff??
Old 10-31-2005, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have both the springs and shocks installed by the dealer. The ride seems fine to me.

It doesn't lower it a lot but it is noticeable next to a stock xB.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 11-04-2005, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My TRD Lowering Springs are in the mail but I didn't buy any shocks or struts. Will the dealer still install the springs?
Old 11-05-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ride compliance is a very subjective thing, but I'll offer my opinion anyway.

Before buying, I test drove an xB at a local dealership with the TRD springs and stock shocks. At the time I had nothing to compare it to, though I felt like the ride was pretty stiff, plus with an even 1 inch drop all around it gave it a very slightly lower stance in the rear.

So when it came time to "spring" my Box, I opted for the H-Techs.....for a couple of reasons. (1) They are spec'ed at slighty lower in the front than the rear which helps to tune out some of that rear-ward lean. (2) They are quite soft. In all hoesty, my wife and I notice virtually no difference in ride quality vs. the stockers. The Box is a cruiser, not a performance machine, so we didn't need the benefits of increased handling and didn't want a taut ride (more taut than the Box already is, that is).

In the end, if ride quality is a priority, get the H-Techs or even the S-Techs if you want her a bit lower.

Be warned though, my H-Techs settles very quickly in the rear (within a few hours) and it scared me a little. But over the course of the next few days, the front followed suit.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by RFR79
My TRD Lowering Springs are in the mail but I didn't buy any shocks or struts. Will the dealer still install the springs?
Bet they will... For a price! They are really easy to install. I'd check around and get prices from different places if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: TRD Lowering Springs???

Originally Posted by JDMRyde
Can anybody tell me how good or bad the TRD lowering springs are?? I heard its only a 1 inch drop. Does it even look dropped? also how is the ride (stiff, smooth)?? Is it better to go with TRD springs and shocks if i want a drop with a luxury car ride? Sorry for all the questions but im thinking about buyin one next week. Need all the answers

I would suggest you try to take a ride in an xB that is lowered before you buy springs. Just to see how it feels lowered. Keep in mind that when ever you lower a car the ride is going to get a little stiffer than stock. Personally I like the Hotchkis springs over all. They have a really good ride and the drop just looks great IMO. The great thing about TRD though is it's covered under warranty. If you're interested in either one let us know.

TRD
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...1&parts_id=314

Hotchkis
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...1&parts_id=477

Josh
Old 11-07-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: TRD Lowering Springs???

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks
Personally I like the Hotchkis springs over all. They have a really good ride and the drop just looks great IMO.
I hope you're right about the Hotchkis springs. I've heard nothing but good about them. The cheapest I was able to find them for was about 160 shipped. Do you know if they ride a little softer than the stock springs? Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I don't know if I would say the ride softer than stock. I think stock is the softest ride you're going to get. I just think Hotchkis has a happy mid point. But like said before find someone with a box thats dropped and take a ride in it. Thats the only way you're going to know for sure.

Josh
Old 11-09-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have just the TRD springs installed on my xB from the dealer. The ride actually improved from stock. The handling is noticeably better....and the wheel gap is closing in a little. the 1" drop is only noticeable if compared to a stock xB. I went TRD springs route only because of the warranty factor and etc...otherwise I probably woulda looked into the Tanabe DF210's.