Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Help me choose correct Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 PM

Default Help me choose correct Springs

Wats up guys,

i have an 09 tc, which i think is in need of a drop! I would love to drop the car but have no type of effects on the current "feel" of the car. I am very picky and i notice everything with my ride. I really want to drop it but have no "bounce" or any other type of problems when driving the car. I currently live in Miami and these are my questions:

1. any good locations near me in miami to get the job done.
2. what brand should i go with (no bounce).
3. how much should i expect to spend.
4. how low should i drop to have a good ride but notice that its been dropped.

Thanks guys. ill await ur response
Old 09-28-2010, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most of these questions depend on what YOU personally want. If you want to drop it mildly, or go pretty deep. Browse the picture section of the dropped tC's.

Bounce will happen regardless. Most aftermarket springs are stiffer than stock. This being said, unless you upgrade your shocks/struts when installing springs, you'll experience bounce down the road. This is because the lowering springs will accelerate wear on the stock shocks and struts.

You can also look into the TRD springs, they will give you the most "normal" ride, and drop you about an inch all around.

How much? Depends on where you buy. Shop around.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Agree. You pretty much need to know what you're looking for ahead of time. From then on, you can choose a setup.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:17 PM

honestly am so scared to ____ my ride up that i dont know what to do. lol ... i would love to do the trd but 1 inch is lame theres no point. then again i read all this other bs about happening to the car dat am juss not willin to do it..

whats considered a mild drop? how many inches? why do some springs come with difference sizes ex. 1.5 front 2.0 back... do springs come to adjust the height.. not after installing i know they are not coil overs but before installing do they have a max drop to choose from then once you do it you cant nemore?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 PM

and what do you guys mean by a rough drive.. i mean the handling of a tc is already heavy.. is that what you guys mean? it will be harder to turn the wheel. if you understand what i mean.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM
SL Member

no i think they mean the ride will be stiffer than stock.............sounds like you are in need of some trd springs....look in the classifieds there are some you can get cheap
Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You say a 1" drop is lame, yet thats a mild drop. The biggest drop you can get with springs is just over 2". They come as 1.5" in front and 2.0" in the rear to level the vehicle out. This way the back, or front are not sitting higher or lower then the other. And its not a "size" its the amount of drop.

You won't mess up your ride with springs. As long as they are installed correctly nothing bad will happen. Eibach used to make a semi-coilover sleeve in which you can adjust the ride height. However it was pricy and not really worth it.

A "rough" ride is meaning stiff, or rigid. You will feel more bumps in the road. IT has nothing to do with the ability to turn the vehicle. I may sound like a complete tool right now, but honestly with your responses I suggest to READ this forum about suspension. It will answer most all of your questions you already have.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I owned a 95 Integra before i bought my tC it had skunk2's and tokiko blues. It rode rough, anymore than 100 miles i wanted to die.

I'm on H-techs with stock struts. The ride IMHO is the same if not better, its great around curves(afraid to push too much no alignment yet).

The H-techs are like the luxury spring from Tein. I <3 mine.

The S-techs are more for style and looks, though i have never rode in a tC with Stechs my buddy has one and he says its an okay ride.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tein s are a little more than 2, but 1.5 is about right, im on teins with tokicos, low as possible before coilovers, rides decent, rode bad before the shock when i rode OEM with the teins
Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would go with h techs. They offer a more modest drop compared to Trd IMO. I'm riding S Techs and the ride is fair but not what you are looking for. Search the lowered tc's for some ideas.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tein H-Tech FTW!!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eibach is the best for an appearance drop.
SportLines will drop around 2".
Eibach has a serious race reputation. AND, they have the best warranty BY FAR.
See who else says their springs are designed to work with the stock struts!
On stock struts, they will give a slightly stiffer ride.
With Koni yellows, they are raceable. It depends a lot on the struts/shocks.

H&R Race are NOT race springs, but they are slightly stiffer 2" drop springs that work nicely too.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 PM

Gotta echo the obvious here, that ride quality is totally subjective. As one of the seemingly few members of the forum more convened with daily driver vs race status have found my lowering experience a bit less desirable than most. Running on Tokico blue struts and vogtland springs cornering is far tighter but the trade of has been that I feel every pebble in the road. Vogtland's run a 1.6" drop in front and 1.4" in the back, modest by most measures, but a dramatic difference in ride characteristics versus OEM equipment. In a city with awful roads and potholes every 30 feet I can honestly say that I frequently consider reverting back to OEM equipment to make the ride a bit easier on my daily commute.

Definitely review the Sticky on suspension setups at the top of the forum. Invaluable as means of comparing drops across brands.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will also say that I thoroughly enjoy my H-techs (in terms of ride quality, I wish they were lower haha). Ride quality is great, stiffer than stock but then again stock felt too squishy to me so firming it up with new springs felt great. As stated this is totally objective and specific to each person.

Decide how much of a drop you want, then read up on what people say about how they feel, remembering that this is general and won't be an exact description of what you get. That should give you an idea of what you want to do.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I had Tanabe DF210's before my coilovers. 1.7/2.2 drop if I remember correctly. Decent ride. I'd rock them again if I had to do it all over again.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the consensus is that changing out your shocks when you do the springs makes for a gentler ride?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not exactly. The factory shocks arent meant to have the travel shortened(lower, more of the shock is pushed in, less travel), so its harder on the shock, so you replace the shock for longevity. Factory shocks can last over 20k miles dropped, alot of factors determine how long they will last with the added stress of dropping your car.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, I'll probably end up getting springs and just keeping the stock shocks then.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im on htech's stock strut's. I will be until i finish a few more things, then im gonna go some coilovers with dampening control. So when i drive on the interstate soft ride, our road's suck i will be lucky to get another 10k miles off of these struts.