Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

What effect does lowering your xB have on performance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default What effect does lowering your xB have on performance?

Can anyone explain in layman's terms how lowering an xB affects performance? Does it make it handle better? If so, what's the best amount to lower it if you have the stock tires for winter and Kosei K-1 Racing Wheels and Yokohama AVS ES100 205/55VR15 tires for the summer?

My wife's MINI has a much lower profile and handles amazing. But, I'm not sure whether that's more to do with it's overall design rather than its lower profile.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What effect does lowering your xB have on performance?

Originally Posted by Dylan
Can anyone explain in layman's terms how lowering an xB affects performance? Does it make it handle better? If so, what's the best amount to lower it if you have the stock tires for winter and Kosei K-1 Racing Wheels and Yokohama AVS ES100 205/55VR15 tires for the summer?

My wife's MINI has a much lower profile and handles amazing. But, I'm not sure whether that's more to do with it's overall design rather than its lower profile.

Thanks.
The minis better handling is partially due to its lower center of gravity, partially due to stiffer overall suspension, and partially due to vastly superior rear suspension design.

Lowering a car will lower the center of gravity, reducing weight transfer and improving grip. Lowering springs are also often stiffer making the car more stable, reducing body roll which reduces camber change due to bodyroll.

on the scion, lowering the car also may get you a bit more negative camber up front, which is a good thing for extra grip when cornering.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I totally agree with Jackmott...
From my experience with other cars, lowering reduced the amount of brake dive as well as squat upon acceleration... which equals better braking and accelerating.
In conjuction with sway bars, they would also reduce the amount of lean on the vehicle as it is making it's way around an apex.
...just as Jackmott described.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Thanks for the info, guys. If I were to lower my xB, what do I need to do?

What products do I need to get and would it be best to have a dealer do it just to make sure it's done properly in compliance with the car's warranties?

Also, by how much should I lower it given that I'll be using 15" tires (stock ones for the winter and Yokohama AVS ES100 205/55VR15 for the summer)?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dylan
Thanks for the info, guys. If I were to lower my xB, what do I need to do?

What products do I need to get and would it be best to have a dealer do it just to make sure it's done properly in compliance with the car's warranties?

Also, by how much should I lower it given that I'll be using 15" tires (stock ones for the winter and Yokohama AVS ES100 205/55VR15 for the summer)?
all you need is a set of the many available lowering springs. 1 to 2 inches of lowering should be prefectly safe. Sometimse if the springs are too stiff for the shocks to handle the car can get 'bouncy'.

If you want a nice setup that is sure to work properly, the TRD shocks and springs together will work great.

its also a good idea to get your car aligned after lowering it.