Notices

cupped tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default cupped tire wear

only 1250 miles on my xB and it's already showing some cupped tire wear on the front tires. Has anybopdy else had this problem?
what kinds of problems cause cupped tire wear?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I believe this is a balancing problem..........
Old 08-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, that usually is a balance or shock problem...and at that milage it is much more likely balance.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had that problem early on too. My balance was way out of tolerance. After they were balanced, it went away.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I have approx 20,000 miles on my 2" dropped box and 17" Konig Unknown rims...I recently developed a vibration at 75-80 mph...I had Discount Tire rebalance them and I still have the same problem...Also, the fronts had inner tire wear so I had them switch the tires around on the rims (directional tires) and moved the wear to the outer side...I still have stock shocks...Are my stock shocks finally wearing out? Or is my alignment off...Any help would be appreciated.......Thx
Old 08-15-2006, 02:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yelosub, I really can't answer that remotely, sight un-seen, but I did notice that the labels on the boxes my new shocks came in suggested changing them at 20,000 miles...

I'd check for something out of alignment or bent first, but it actually could be the shocks, I guess.

Tomas
Old 08-15-2006, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Thx Tomas...I just had them all removed and remounted/rebalanced...They are not bent...Anyone else?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did the vibration move after you rotated the tires? Or is it still vibrating in the same location?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Thx Tomas...I just had them all removed and remounted/rebalanced...They are not bent...Anyone else?
you need to look at everything that rotates.
brakes, axles, wheels, tires...

if the vibration is still in the same corner after moving the tires all around...it is something with the brakes...
if it moves from corner to corner with the tires...it is the tire.
have them rebalanced again. (did they check the balance after applying the weights?)

as for the inside wear...that is caused by camber (from your 2" drop) and the toe in for better handling.(from factory)
Old 08-16-2006, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

^^^^Thx HotLava but I'm not exactly sure where the vibration is coming from...I know it's from the front because at 75-80 my steering wheel begins to shudder...Under 75 and over 80 it smooths out...It didn't do it for the first 20,000 miles or so after lowering...I took off the front wheels and noticed I had some inner tire wear...I took all 4 rims and tires to discount, had them break them down and flip them on the rim...They then balanced them and then they were put back on the car...It still vibrates...I still have the stock sruts and shocks with a total of 26,000 miles, of which 20,000 or so is with it being lowered...I never had it aligned after the drop as I was told it did not need it...Would an alignment fix the problem? I don't think it's the brakes, they seem fine with plenty of pad left...Rims are not bent, axle is not bent...So basically I don't know what's causing this...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Front, eh? You're to the point that a lot of things could affect it, even a bad CV joint...

Tomas
Old 08-16-2006, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Thx Tomas....Now I have several things to look at....
Old 08-16-2006, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^^Thx HotLava but I'm not exactly sure where the vibration is coming from...I know it's from the front because at 75-80 my steering wheel begins to shudder...Under 75 and over 80 it smooths out...It didn't do it for the first 20,000 miles or so after lowering...I took off the front wheels and noticed I had some inner tire wear...I took all 4 rims and tires to discount, had them break them down and flip them on the rim...They then balanced them and then they were put back on the car...It still vibrates...I still have the stock sruts and shocks with a total of 26,000 miles, of which 20,000 or so is with it being lowered...I never had it aligned after the drop as I was told it did not need it...Would an alignment fix the problem? I don't think it's the brakes, they seem fine with plenty of pad left...Rims are not bent, axle is not bent...So basically I don't know what's causing this...
i have the same issue with one of my sets of tires...
it only shakes at 75 and up. it was from a weight i nocked off when cleaning them.

as for the tire wear...an alignment will not fix the camber. you would need camber adjustment plates.

the brakes issue...you seemed to miss the part of it has to rotate to cause the vibration. the pads do not move: therefore can't cause the vibration. it would be the rotor. might have a small amount of dirt/tar...stuck to the edge causing the vibration.

i would take all the wheels off the car an clean them like never before...you might have some dirt/tar/rocks...that cause the vibation.
then i would go to the tire place and have them verify the balancing...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed a vibration when I put on my 17's a while back. I went through the whole balance / alignment routine and it was still vibrating around the same speed.... 75 - 80 mph. I added a set of 4 hub centric rings... one to each wheel and it was good to go. No more vibration.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^ you should always use the hub centric rings if the rim does not match your hub size.
with 4 lugs you will have a big problem getting the center right.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Thx for all the help...I do have have hub centric rimgs on all four rims...

As far as the tire wear, it was only on the two fronts and it was on the inner side...Are you saying I can adjust camber on the fronts? Thx for everyone's advise...
Old 08-18-2006, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thx for all the help...I do have have hub centric rimgs on all four rims...

As far as the tire wear, it was only on the two fronts and it was on the inner side...Are you saying I can adjust camber on the fronts? Thx for everyone's advise...
no. you can't correct the camber.
you need to buy camber correction plates to do that.

bu that is what caused the wear...