Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:27 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hub centric rings

hello everyone,
does anyone know where i can purchase some hub centric rings at?

also, are hub centric rings vehicle/wheel specific? thanks in advance !!!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I got mine with my wheels from
www.treadepot.com
Old 06-20-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One Ton Garage makes them, I think Keoki does too (I got my rears from him). Ichiba makes them as well. The Ichibas come with longer studs. I've got 5mm FK spacers up front. FK is a German company that makes parts for the Euro tuner market. But we share the same bolt pattern as some VW's (4x100). The hub opening for the FK's is 57.1mm, I think our hubs are 54.1mm, so they're a great match. Plus they were only $35.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:58 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone know if hub centric rings will help vibrations that i am getting at the steering wheel? i already went in once again for the balance of the wheels. turned out 2 were not right. but still after i got that fixed. i still get vibrations 65mph + and it get's harsher as mph rises.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably not. The vibration is coming from either the wheels or tires (or a bad strut/shock). I would suggest taking the wheels that were incorrectly balanced but fixed and mount them on the front and see if that helps. Other than that, I might suggest a high-speed balance where the wheels are balanced while still on the car.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rygar
Probably not. The vibration is coming from either the wheels or tires (or a bad strut/shock). I would suggest taking the wheels that were incorrectly balanced but fixed and mount them on the front and see if that helps. Other than that, I might suggest a high-speed balance where the wheels are balanced while still on the car.
just got my hub centric rings on, and i think the vibration is total gone. too bad i didn't put them in sooner.

what's the difference between a regular balance and a high speed balance?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hubcentric rings are designed to do pretty much what they did for you, help guarantee that the entire rotating assembly is as round as possible. It rings aren't used, or the wheels themselves aren't hubcentric ($$), then you are relying on the conical lug nuts to perform the task. The problem is that most people hand tighten the nuts, then lower the car to the ground to torque them to final spec. This can actually gall the lug seat of the wheel, or actually bend the stud.
For best possible fitment when rings aren't used, torque the nuts while the car is in the air, in increments. Use a buddy with his/her foot on the brake to keep the wheel from spinning.

I get the impression from rygar's 1st post and possibly his second, that he is thinking of spacers, not rings.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 AM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ajayaitch
Hubcentric rings are designed to do pretty much what they did for you, help guarantee that the entire rotating assembly is as round as possible. It rings aren't used, or the wheels themselves aren't hubcentric ($$), then you are relying on the conical lug nuts to perform the task. The problem is that most people hand tighten the nuts, then lower the car to the ground to torque them to final spec. This can actually gall the lug seat of the wheel, or actually bend the stud.
For best possible fitment when rings aren't used, torque the nuts while the car is in the air, in increments. Use a buddy with his/her foot on the brake to keep the wheel from spinning.

I get the impression from rygar's 1st post and possibly his second, that he is thinking of spacers, not rings.
great explanation about this. i found out the same way you just explained here through a friend yesterday. and for the longest time, i was thinking it was my suspension with the springs. possibly maybe made it incompatible with the stock damper of the xb and aftermarket springs. (what another friend who owns a xb told me). which i believe he was wrong now that problem is corrected. still subtle vibration. but i think it's coming from the road and the wider wheels then stock.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ayS
does anyone know if hub centric rings will help vibrations that i am getting at the steering wheel? i already went in once again for the balance of the wheels. turned out 2 were not right. but still after i got that fixed. i still get vibrations 65mph + and it get's harsher as mph rises.
Actually yes they should help with the vibration. ajayaitch's explanation is on point and pretty much explains why.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TC Sportline makes them too, they arent bad either
Old 07-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I got mine at Auto Zone for like $18. I don't think it matter where you get them or who makes them just as long as the size is correct.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Auto Zone? off the shelf. Auto Zone sells hubcentric rings? Cant find my raised eyebrow emotion.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by octagon
Auto Zone? off the shelf. Auto Zone sells hubcentric rings? Cant find my raised eyebrow emotion.
IDK about straight off the shelf but they can get them. A friend of mine ordered them for me and he also has an xB so he knew exactly what I needed.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, were they plastic or aluminum? I have work eurolines showing up this week
15x8 +35 and i know i need the inner bore spec, so i assume autozone can hook me up?? Secondly if the wheels are torqued down in star pattern will the problem of not running hubcentric rings go away??
Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by octagon
ok, were they plastic or aluminum? I have work eurolines showing up this week
15x8 +35 and i know i need the inner bore spec, so i assume autozone can hook me up?? Secondly if the wheels are torqued down in star pattern will the problem of not running hubcentric rings go away??
They are plastic. It doesn't really matter what they are made of to be honest just as long as they center up the wheel.

There is no why to eye ball centering a wheel. the holes in the wheels for the studs are always bigger than the studs themselves. The only thing that will center a wheel is a hub centric ring.