Notices

OTG Shims or spacers... what to get

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default OTG Shims or spacers... what to get

I have these rims...

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/tir...s/RX043187517?

And they have a 45 mm offset.
Ok and in the rear i cannot even fit my pinky finger between the rim and the frame and I was wondering what i should get the OTG shims to be able to do the alignment more or just the spacers (10mm)
I mean i just want to be able to have the car aligned properly and not have it rub in the back. Right now the dealer says that the way it is they cannot align the back and the box is driving like crap.
I should mention that i had this problem a little before the springs but now since I have put the Tein S techs on its worse and I had a 220lb friend in the back and we whipped around a corner and the tire rubbed.
HELP I have a friend that works at a shop and he is going to fix it once and for all but I want to make sure I order the right thing from Van over at OTG.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member

Personally I chose the OTG shims instead of spacers. If you search this forum for spacers there are a LOT of opinions. As I filtered through much of this I concluded that shims are easier to install because there is no need to swap out the studs in the hub.

The install was easy, instructions were clear and there is a how-to article on scionlife to help.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member

I guess i wasnt clear in my question... i was just wondering which item to order from OTG the rear shims or the rear camber shims. Not wanting the look i guess or the need for neg camber (cheaper also) I have already opted for the rear shims for 70. Hopefully have them on by the end of the week.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

With your offset, the spacer shims are the better bet. Only go camber if you have really low offset or wide wheels. OTG shims are the way to go.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just ordered my OTG Shims I cant wait till they get here. I will be running the OTG shim and 15mm H&R spacers
Old 10-05-2006, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member

Ordered and they should be here soon. Will let you guys know if they work out for my situation.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Post up when you get them and let me know how the install goes. Mine should be here shortly after yours
Old 10-07-2006, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

where do you order them from?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine came in today I installed them tonight. I dont rub TOO bad lol Once on the way home in a huge dip. I dont know if im gonna worry about cutting or rolling the fenders. Ill see how tomorrow goes i guess. Ill post some pics tomorrow. Im pretty happy with how my wheels sit now. OTG Spacer Shim+15mm H&R spacer.

Originally Posted by HotBox420
where do you order them from?
www.onetongarage.com Van is the man.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

let me see some pics
Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like my Parents stole the digicam. Pics will be here tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I just installed the OTG 10mm shims and a OTG 5mm spacer on the rears and man did it make a difference...I have 17 x7's in a 40 offset and now they are a 25 offset...Nice and flush!

BTW, I score a ZERO in the handy man catergory but I installed these things with ease and it took less than an hour total...The most time consuming part was jacking the vehicle up and removing the rims....
Old 10-08-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think my rims are a 30 or 35 offset and i have 10mm OTG Shims and 15mm H&R spacers. So that makes them a 5 or 10 offset right?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

^^^^That is correct^^^^
Old 10-09-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So...what offset would make it flush? Does it have anything to do with how wide the wheels are? You said you have a 25 offset now and your flush. I have 5 or 10 and im still not happy. Maybe my rims are the offset i thought they were...
Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member

I love the way that my box looks but (*&$ i hate the way it rides right now ... or should i say handles the alignment issues and the rubbing and the stupid rims (that came on the box when i bought it used) I have my rear OTG spacer shims in the box and they are going on tomorrow as my buddy that works at the shop finally has the time. So this is the last chance this set of rims has. I mean does anybody know the symptoms of a bent rim? I bought stockers from a fellow scionlife mbr and they will be in the box if we cant get the damn rims to align and not jerk my steering wheel every where and what not its back to the stockers until spring when i can buy new rims. Any comments or help would be apreciated as Im puling my hair out and the wife wants me to trade the box. I have erratic handling and when people sit in the back the tire is rubbing that frame part in the middle front of the rear right tire.
and my balance keeps going bad causing the steering wheel to vibrate horribly... so bad that the rear view shakes from it and the visors shake.
Im about to quit.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like your alignment is way off. i had this problem in my civic right after i installed my coils.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah, something isn't right. The rear isn't really alignable, it is a solid axle. Sounds like the alignment up front is off. Also, the vibration is from either unbalanced wheels or warped rotors. Have your buddy take a look when your car is on the rack. A good tire/wheel shop should be able to help you out.

It only takes one bent wheel/warped rotor/mis-aligned corner for the car to ride like crap. Keep us informed!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member

The stockers i bought from jjambox are on now and they ride great. The 18's are off and good riddens. The spacers are not on yet as i want to go to scion and have them get the right rear within spec as im out about 2/32 of spec. Also yes its a solid non adjustable type of thing but how did it get out of alignment? Accident with the previous owner maybe? Any rate I'm not puttin the rims i had on it back on as i think that one of them is bent and they are not in great condition to begin with, its about to be winter etc.
So hubcaps and stockers for the winter and then back to some 17's in the spring.

I bought the box used and if any body has any thought on how to handle it at the dealer as far as getting them to get it within spec on the right rear because before they were blaming it on the rims. Now they have no excuse.