Notices

Rim Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Rim Repair

Anyone ever have a rim repaired? Were you happy with the result? Was it a local place, or did you send it off? How much did it cost & how long did it take?

I'm tempted to just go back to my stock rims... or buy a new rim to match, but I want to see if repairing the rim is feasable first.... Here's the story:

I was driving home from work today & stopped by the grocery store... I finished up there & headed home (hatch filled with groceries - luckily, my amp blew this weekend, so my sub & amp weren't in the way ). I left the grocery store, pulled out onto the highway & was cruisin' along. All of the sudden, a landscaping truck swerves into my lane & cuts me off. Rocks go flying.... I swerve to avoid the rocks & feel like I'm in some kindof bullrun challenge. I miss all of them but one - about 6" around bounces & hits the ground right at my passenger side tire.

I drive over the rock which ricochets under my car towards the drivers side, hits the car beside me in the door, ricochets off that car & is ran over by the car behind me.... his tire (drivers side) blows & he loses control crashing into the car beside him.

Now I was (in 1/2 a seconds time) planning to go after the truck & get his information, but then the accident happened - I can't really leave the scene, can I?...

So I stop. The driver of the car beside me (with a huge dent in his door) saw the rocks come off the truck, then heard one hit his door. The car behind me didn't see anything - she was on her cell phone the whole time & all she knows is that I dropped that rock that caused her to crash into the car beside her.... it's all my fault (according to her). As she tells her story, the other 4 that stopped (one car with a smashed door, the ***** on the cell phone, the car she smashed in to, and the guy who 'saw it all') all start taking her side & blaming me for the whole mess that ensued.

Finally the cops (cop) show up & basically tell everyone that they're stupid for thinking it's my fault - the law says that if the rock didn't come from my car (wasn't on the road as a result of me), then I'm not responsible. He tells me I'm free to go, thanks me for stopping, and proceeds to fill out his accident report.

As I drive off, my steering wheel wobbles... faster & faster the faster I go. damn

I pull over into a gas station to check things out again (I had already looked my car over while waiting on officer friendly to arrive & found nothing). I look closer this time - getting under the car as much as I can, and hear a hissing noise... then I find the dent....

Old 05-16-2007, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have had a rim repaired before--and it was in much worse shape than yours. Look for a place locally. I sent mine to a place via UPS and got it back in a week. They basically quoted me a flat rate charge that was less than a new wheel. Sometimes the dent removing people also repair rims and come to you. It won't hurt to get a quote.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

called around today & dropped it off at a local place... $125 + $10 for tire dismount/mount & balance. 24hr turn around & their work is guaranteed. Kinda expensive, but what're ya gonna do?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

where did you take it? I recently acquired a decent curb rash on my wheel and I only know of one place that does it around Austin and they won't call me back for some reason
Old 05-18-2007, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Wheel Technologies of Austin - (512) 339-9036... spoke to Damien.
Their corporate site (dallas) is http://www.wheeltechnologies.com/. if you do some looking on yahoo, you'll find a link to the austin website with a map - DON'T GO THERE - they're NOT located off Lamar (they've moved).... yeah, I found out
They're located just off 183 & burnet.

24hr turn around - ended up being $146 with tax & mount/balance. Very happy with the quality of the repair & they've got excellent customer service.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

cool man thanks...just googled them...they're on Saunder's lane...I'm going to go see them this weekend...then maybe I can finally sell my rims