Notices

Screw in tire!!! (Pictures Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjj130
I called another local Scion dealership and they gave me a great option...$166.95 for a tire that comes from port. Essentially only used during production and then removed at port when someone orders the rim upgrades. Pretty sweet if you ask me.
That price is outrageous! A tire like that shouldn't cost you over$40. It's used, right? It's illegal for the to sell it like it's new. Make them a reasonable offer for justs the tire - no installation. I'd say $60. Then, any tire shop will mount it and balance it for less than $15.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're insistant upon keeping the RE92s, hit up a Bridgestone/Firestone dealer; they're a much cheaper tire than $170 each.

That being said, I manage a Firestone company store, and I wouldn't put the RE92s back on. They're not a bad tire in and of themselves; most of the Subaru Forester/Outback owners that we see love them. They're just not an optimal high performance tire. I hate the fact that Toyota chose the RE92s, since it tends to give Bridgestone a bad name among the Scion community. Try a set of Potenza RE950s or S-03 Pole Positions if you want to regain your faith in Bridgestone.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I bought my xB 2 months ago. I got a nail in the tire, close to the sidewall on the ride home from picking the car up. I had to get a whole new tire after 15 minutes of owing the car. Luckily since then I have not had any problems.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:46 AM
Ed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That screw looks pretty close to the sidewall,I would replace the tire if the screw does cause a leak.
Spray some soapy water on it then take the screw out slowly,bubbles mean it leaks...then replace it.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i wouldnt plug that. iis too close for comfort for me.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZlineDavid
If you're insistant upon keeping the RE92s, hit up a Bridgestone/Firestone dealer; they're a much cheaper tire than $170 each.

That being said, I manage a Firestone company store, and I wouldn't put the RE92s back on. They're not a bad tire in and of themselves; most of the Subaru Forester/Outback owners that we see love them. They're just not an optimal high performance tire. I hate the fact that Toyota chose the RE92s, since it tends to give Bridgestone a bad name among the Scion community. Try a set of Potenza RE950s or S-03 Pole Positions if you want to regain your faith in Bridgestone.
I don't have the Bridgestones....I have Yokohama S32A's.

Also, that $166.95 isn't that bad when you think about it. The tire has zero mileage on it., it is basically new for all purposes and it is only taken off the car at port before any miles are put on.

The cheapest place around here that could order it and mount it was over $200. Tirerack wanted $182 shipped plus I have to pay to get it mounted somewhere.

I'd rather just do this. The guy at the dealership said that it still has the nubs on it. I also have a guy that regularly works on cars and he said that was a good deal and I had nothing to worry about.

I'm not really that worried and would rather have something taken care of ASAP rather then have to wait.

Oh and FYI, I took it to NTB and the guy wouldn't look at it.

And the screw is in there good....I found an identical one around my car when I went looking and it's probably a good half inch. I'm not messing with it.

Lastly and while it has held the air in these past few days, I'm very cautious when driving...I don't need to hit a bump and have that thing blow on me.

PS - Did you know those Yokohama S32A's that are put on our tC's are made specifically for the tC??