Notices

SUGGEST YOUR TIREs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I have Kumho Ecsta ASX's on my 18's for daily driving. A friend has them on his 17's on his xA. We both love these tires. They grip and turn so much better than the stocks.

I'm about to get a set of Falken Azenis for my stock wheels for AutoXing. A number of people have recomended these as well. They are fairly sticky tires, but from what I've heard, the treadwear is overrated. Perfect for AutoXing.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my other car right now, this is the second car I put them on, they are awesome! I don't think that they make them in the size that I would be needing when I get my Xb and the wheels for it.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sumitomo HTR-Z II's Great dry traction, good wet traction. Low noise and pretty good tread life so far.

And can you beat the name? Before I run the 1/4 mile, I brush the HTR-Z's off. Then I pop my collar... hehehe
Old 01-10-2008, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

re-opening this thread up with a question.. anyone know if they make Falken GRB FK-451 for our cars.. like that small? looking to put it on a 16x8 wheel...
Old 01-11-2008, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Avon Tech M500 - Great tire for $80/pop. Competes with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S and only a fraction of the price.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Nangang NS2 on 18'' wheels and they perform better than I expected. When I bought the wheel and tire package, my choice was either Nankang for about $75 front and $86 rear, or Yokohama/ Faulken for double the price. That would have taken me over 2 grand for wheels and tires so I chose the cheaper Nankang tires.

Wet: Pretty good handling/ gripping, considering I don't drive like a bat out of hell.

Dry: Very good handling/ gripping, considering I do, on occasion, drive like a bat out of hell around corners and interstate on ramp loops.

Comfort: I have 18'' wheels, 35 series tires, and a Scion xB. What the hell is comfortable about that? Big wheels/ slim tires/ and a box car built with little sound deadening material= loads of road noise; though the tires are exceptionally satisfying. For now...

Tire wear: Also very good. I'm slightly stretched with over 7 thousand miles on the tires and I haven't noticed any wear at all.

General: Pretty damn good tire for the buck; but cheap is cheap, no matter how you look at it.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vanilla wears BFGs because of their wet traction - and I live in the Pacific Northwest...

I try to match my tires to my driving style and driving conditions.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had a set of Generals for about 2 weeks before i returned them. The Trac Control would beep on corners that the stock tires wouldn't even have trouble. I got a set of Fuzion ZRI's and really liked them. They had close to the traction of the Sumitomo's but I got almost twice as much life out of them, 40k miles.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just replaced my stockers (got about 42k out of them) with some BFG Traction TA's. Costco is running some deal on them right now. got them for 319 installed.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by daggerSLADE
I did the research on http://www.tirerack.com and found that the Bridgestone Potenza RE92's suck (even in the Road&Track article that is on the Scion Life tC opening page said this car could benefit from better tires) .. I also heard from a few people that own tCs that they suck too .. so I looked around and found that the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S Tires are very highly rated ... so I bought them and I am very satisfied with their performance ... I will never go back to Bridgestones and I will always put Pirellis on my car ... they are more responsive, stickier, grippier, and LESS EXPENSIVE ... they take off better in a line and keep a curve better ... I felt the stock tires were just ok in cornering ... the Pirellis improve greatly on that .. I definitely agree that this car performs better with the PIRELLI PZERO NEROs ... hey if thats not a glowing endorsement I dont know what is .. maybe I should advertise for them .. hehe ... heres a pic of the Pirellis on my stock rim ---
I have the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S Tires on my box now. First winter with them and I am not happy. I like them other than ice and snow. I have the 205/50/16's. Looking at takeing them off the car. Just feel the car is unsafe with these in winter.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

P Zeros are not really for winter use. I only run my 215/35/18s in nice weather.
Still running the stockers the rest of the time. They have 20K on em and still look new. Everybody dislikes the Goodyears but they have done fine for me.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've only used 205/55-15 Falken ZiexZE-512 & 912 tires for the box. Obviously, these are all-weather tires, but they do grip decently in the dry & very good in the wet. The 912s have a sidewall that's almost as stiff as the Falken Azenis RT-615.

I have experience with lots of other tires, but not for the box. Among them are Hankook Ventus Sport K104, Kumho Ecsta Supra 712, Kumho Ecsta AST, Falken Azenis RT-615, & Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Greats-Michelin Pilot Sports ($$$ though), Conti-sports, Michelin MX4

Greats for the price-Hankook k106 and 104, Nankangs (actually way better than I thought-but didn't have them long), Falken (there basic directional)

Not so good (IMO) BF Goodrich, anything firestone, basic goodyear tires (like the originals)
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im thinking about getting some Falken FK-451, would be a fun street car, especially in Southern Cali, where the weather is never a drag on driving, and these tires are rated for wet surface, so even in the rain its still bad ___.. and that streched over a 17"
Old 02-15-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on my axis mag-lites i bought they came with wore down falken azenis.

o..m..g! i was driving 90 on the interstate during a really heavy rain storm and i didnt slip, slide, or need to slow down once!

plus they have the cool factor of looking like motorcyle tires. :D
Old 02-19-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have the Toyo Proxes 4 tires on my xB (+1 rims, 205-45-16)...I am amazed that it has gone over 29K miles and while having it serviced yesterday at the local dealer, they measured the remaining depth...tread depth for front @ 5/32" and rear @ 6/32"!!!

I will most likely buy the same when the time comes to do so...
Old 03-30-2008, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mt
Old 03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Banned
SL Member

Tires i would recommend.

Yokohama Avid H4s - these are now on the GFs box
Hankook Ventus HRII - i have had these for a year with great traction

Both tired give great wet and dry traction. Both sets come off for winter as the stocker Goodyears go on.

Tires to avoid.
NangKang - these came on one set of wheels i had. 3K miles in and taking a clover leaf on a damp road i was merging onto the highway sideways. They were taken off by the following weekend.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by daggerSLADE
I did the research on http://www.tirerack.com and found that the Bridgestone Potenza RE92's suck (even in the Road&Track article that is on the Scion Life tC opening page said this car could benefit from better tires) .. I also heard from a few people that own tCs that they suck too ..
My former Subaru had RE92s, and they were awful. My brother didn't like them much on the tC he used to have, either. I replaced those with Kumho Ecsta ASX's, and as soon as the budget allows, I'll probably get a set for my box (in 205/55/15, since they don't come in 185/60/15). For the money, the Kumhos were great tires. Could have been better in the snow, but tires made out of glued together pink pencil erasers would have been better than those Bridgestones.

I've also considered BFG Radial T/A's (the ones with the raised white letters)-- they go with the Bonneville-ish look I'm after, and get decent reviews on Tirerack. The closest size to what I can use they come in is 195/60, but that would only make the speedo read about 1mph low at 60mph. Anyone know much else about them?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hawaiiguy
Have the Toyo Proxes 4 tires on my xB (+1 rims, 205-45-16)...I am amazed that it has gone over 29K miles and while having it serviced yesterday at the local dealer, they measured the remaining depth...tread depth for front @ 5/32" and rear @ 6/32"!!!

I will most likely buy the same when the time comes to do so...
Update: now with almost 36K on the Proxes 4 (had almost 3K on oem before switching), I cannot say how much these tires are appreciated...I cannot believe the tire mileage I am getting!

Quick Reply: SUGGEST YOUR TIREs