Notices

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member

Default Is this true?

Hiya folks,

I just got a new set of 17" wheels and tires(215/45/17) installed on my box. It feels great with the new shoes. However, without holding the steering wheel, the car pulls to the right when testing it on the freeway. I took it back for another alignment. The mechanic told me that xBs don't come with cross campers for adjustment. All they have is called "Tot" or "Toe" (I am not sure which term is correct) for adjustments. He stated that in order to correct it or make more adjustments, he would have to drill a hole somewhere near the suspension unit.

Well heck, I really don't know much about this stuff. And I surely don't want any "hole" underneath my box so I walk off. FYI, the car was going straight with the stock tires before.

Do we have any experts here in the house that know if this is true or not? Did any of you have the same problem with losing alignment with the new shoes? If so, then how did you deal with it or fix it?

Please advise,

blumonde
Old 09-16-2005, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

check your air pressure,i used to work in a tire store and it doesnt take much to make a car pull,my xb does if the tire pressure is off and i have the same setup as you.my tires have a max pressure of 44 psi and I run them about 42.before I ran them around 36 and by upping the pressure I have gained back about three mpg
Old 09-16-2005, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by damnbump
check your air pressure,i used to work in a tire store and it doesnt take much to make a car pull,my xb does if the tire pressure is off and i have the same setup as you.my tires have a max pressure of 44 psi and I run them about 42.before I ran them around 36 and by upping the pressure I have gained back about three mpg
I asked them put in 40psi. I guess it should be okay. I will check them tires tomorrow myself. According to the label on the side, 50psi is the max I believe. Air pressure does make a different but that is when your tires are very low of air.

My question is that do xBs come with campers or not. So far, it seems like nobody had an alignment done on their box. I guess there is no answer to it. As far as I know, low profile tires don't last long. If your car doesn't go straight then you will have to spend another 600 bucks within a year.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both of ours pull the right since day one!

I was wondering what it was. Even after having them checked they still pull. I thought it was an xB thing!

Good question!
Old 09-16-2005, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by LVScionGal
Both of ours pull the right since day one!

I was wondering what it was. Even after having them checked they still pull. I thought it was an xB thing!

Good question!
New cars shouldn't be like that. They were made to go straight. I am going to check with the dealership where I got it from.

Cheers.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's "Camber" not "Camper" Unless you lowered your box then camber should not be off. And the front camber is adjustable with cam bolts that can be used instead of the stock lower strut mounting bolts. Drilling holes? Never heard of that? (pass the joint down here Mr. Mechanic) Your alignment should not have changed with a different wheel/tire combo. I would check the air pressure. BTW, your 215/45-17 is larger than the stock overall tire diameter by a few percent...do some reading and searching here and you will find out all kinds of info on xB alignment...
Old 09-17-2005, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

mine pulls to the left
Old 09-17-2005, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member

I called the dealership and was told over the phone that in order to adjust the damn CaMbErS we would have buy some bolts. But that might not even help. They think it is radial pull.

FYI, I already did the research, 215/45/17 should be fine.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe the wheels need to be re-balanced. perhaps they werent balanced properly.