Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Cargo rack on XB??????need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member

Default Cargo rack on XB??????need help

I just got a safari style rack from a buddy and I want to mount it on my XB

there is a Yamika one on Ebay for 224.00 tha just seems like alot of money

and my next qestion ,,,are these "rack mounts" universal??because I see them for bikes ,kayaks I'm getting confused someone PLEASE point me in the right direction
......Brain Fart ...I just thought maybe I could contact the dealership ,,,,,but they'll prolly knock me in the head on pricing

any help you guys can offer would be great ,,thanks in advance guys

""Ill post pics if I can figure out how to do it""
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/MVC-136F.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/MVC-137F.jpg
Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

bump
Old 02-13-2007, 04:02 AM
SL Member

You need the Yakima Q towers, cross bars. lock cores, and bar ends if you are going to go with a Yakima system. They are pretty expensive but the quality seems good. What brand is the safari rack? It would make sense to use that brand of base system for mounting. The way it works is you get the base system which is basically just the cross bars and the mounts that attach them to the roof, and then all of the other parts attach to the cross bars... like bike carriers, wire racks, gargo boxes etc.

My box with the base rack and the faring. BTW the faring is a must, the wind noise without it is way to much.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are also going to lose a good mpg or two by having that up there. I had a similar one on my Exploder and it sure caught the wind.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like the rack on the black box may be mounted too far forward, which will definitely increase wind noise... The fairings are nice, however- I'll probably get one come spring...

Yakima is definitely high quality hardware, and worth the money, imho. That doesn't mean it's compatible with the other hardware from your friend, however...

And, yeh, there are a variety of attachments available, for bikes, skis, snowboards, kayaks, cargo shells and baskets, god knows what else...

I just have the basic rack, since it's used mostly for hauling occasional building supplies. And it's not noisy... yeh, I can hear it on occasion, but not all the time, and it's definitely mounted further back, so that the windshield sends air up and over the leading crossbar... The vehicle specific kit gives full instructions... After a few on/ off cycles, mine just stays, enhancing the urban assault vehicle persona... I have small squares of reflective tape in the door channels, making reattachment locating easy...

Atlanta is a big place, so there are probably retailers in your area... Thule is the other big name in racks, having square rather than round crossbars...
Old 02-14-2007, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member

I took the rack off my old Suburban, cut it down to fit w/ a hacksaw, and used stainless sheetmetal screws dipped in silicone to fasten it to the roof. Works great!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sqtdavis, you have pictures of your install?