Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

driving at night..getting brights flashed at me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Always a good idea to try to impair the other driver's vision as they are shooting in your direction. That'll teach em...

The last time I high-beamed someone it was a CHP officer and he pulled me over...
I think that your sarcasm probably went over a lot of heads but kudos to you for thinking things through far enough to realize the error of that tactic!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i got flashed by so many cars it wasnt funny...i was running 8000K HIDS (the ones without a highbeam)...so when they would flash the lights at me i would hit my high beam switch and that would cause my lights to black out, i think they realized fast, i always liked doing that, i have 35% tint on my headlights and fogs now, its a great look in the day and i have not gotten flashed yet
Old 09-08-2007, 08:01 AM
SL Member

flashed, flicked off, yelled at, raced against, overtaken (give in)

i just go behind them and flash them with my REAL high beams, they'll feel like a$$es
Old 09-13-2007, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it happens to me all the time, especially when my in-laws live out in the country....it's annoying....i just flash them back and then i am sure they feel like jerks....at least i hope they do
Old 09-14-2007, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...maybe we (the xB owners) are the jerks for having our lo-beams adjusted too high...
Old 09-14-2007, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteski
...maybe we (the xB owners) are the jerks for buying a car with the lo-beams adjusted too high...
Corrected for you - not like a single one of us made any decision to be a "jerk."
Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did.. lately every one else drives around like im not even on the road.. i get cut off all the time.. so i became a jerk driver..
people that are directly across from me at an intersection always flicker there brights on me.. so i flick mine.. brights or finger.. i notice the bright light problem pretty much from day one..
Old 09-15-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06B0X
Originally Posted by peteski
...maybe we (the xB owners) are the jerks for buying a car with the lo-beams adjusted too high...
Corrected for you - not like a single one of us made any decision to be a "jerk."
... you do have a point there.

OTOH, even if I knew this fact beforehand I woul still have bought my xB. One of these days I'll tweak them down.

The real jerk is Toyota for adjusting the headlights a bit high. Or at least what seems to be high (judging by all of our comments).
Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i like to stick my gun out the window and then see who's highbeams are on. haha naw but yeah i think its just the placement of the bulb and how low our cars are.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 PM

The xB has a very sharp cutoff in the beam. It is just another thing that impressed me after I bought the car. With older (or less well designed) headlights, the cutoff is gradual so that as bumps in the road cause the beam to bounce, oncoming cars don't notice all that much difference. Part of the reason for that is that much more light is bleeding into the oncoming drivers eyes with "cheap" or old style headlights. With a sharp cutoff anything that causes that cutof to go high enough to put the main beam in an oncoming drivers eyes has the appearance of flashing your lights at them, partly because there is so little light in their eyes when their eyes are above the beam.

Drive any car with a good sharp beam cutoff and you will get this effect - and more drivers will flash their brights at you.

I had this happen to me when I got Cibie lights in 1979 for my Opel GT. They were properly aimed and I never had the problem with "factory" bulbs.

IOW, the better (more precise) your headlights are, the more you will notice this.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might have hit onto something Rob. I see a drastic difference in the cutoff between my xB and couple of other cars I drive. Other car's headlight beam is wider and more gradually difused.

And you right - xB has a very stiff suspension (again compared to other cars I drive) so the light beam bounce is much more pronounced because of its sharp cutoff.

Of course this is for xBs with stock headlight. I have no idea how the aftermarked headlights (halogen and HID) are designed.