Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

New xB owner wants front end and window protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New xB owner wants front end and window protection

Just got a new xB and i love the car for the same reasons everyone else does.

But I will most likely be driving ~40 miles a day with it and I've exhausted the archives on paint chipping, windshield chips/cracks, etc. I understand its an on going debate but I wanted to see if anybody had a year or so to evaluate some preventative solutions.

I will most likely be getting a clear bra since they seem highly reccomended. I picked up a ROADBLOCK pamphlet at my dealer (www.autobahndint.com), anybody have any experience with these? I imagine any process with 3M materials is decent.

Also, the windshield issue...i've seen something called GLASGARD(http://www.thegsmstore.net/bg-glasgard1.htm) which is a spray on liquid thats supposed to re-inforce the glass, any experience with this one?

Thanks for any advice/opinions, as this is my first new car, I really want to protect my investment (don't we all).
Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're going to get the clear bra, you need to do it asap, because if they put it on, and you have even 1 chip under the film, it won't look good. i have the colgan full front bra, and its great, i highly recommend it. as for the window, i don't know what you could do, maybe get a bug deflector, i've already had to replace my windshield once because of rocks
Old 07-20-2005, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I will definitely be getting on that one soon.

And i've heard the whole windshield debate, which is somewhat dissapointing to hear.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

anybody else know about ROADBLOCK, who apparently the dealer (at least my Toyota/scion) endorses?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for anyone interested. I found out from my dealer that ROADBLOCK will cost 695 including installation. It will cover the entire hood, front and rear ends, wheel wells, mirrors, etc.

Price seems steep, but usually dealer installed things are. Not sure if its worth it.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew

talk to rockblocker
Old 07-26-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rockblocker is a sponsor on the site. depending on your location, theiris sometimes "rockblocker install meets" were a bunch of members go to a location and get rockblocker instaled. i ahvent personally experenced rockblocker but ive sen it on ferrari 355 and 360 race cars and it does its job
Old 07-30-2005, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys, I did read some sports car forums, namely for Italian models and they claim the 3M stuff does it's job right. Its just a matter of finding an installer.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another point of contact for pre-cut 3M paint protection film and installation is http://AutoGardUSA.com who did the install on my xB, and may have info on installers in your area.

Be sure to mention ScionLife 'cause they give a discount to folks here (my full front protection was in the $260 ballpark, installed...).
Old 08-03-2005, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Tomas, did your front protection include the entire hood?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Front skirt, bumper, grill, fog-light covers, mirrors, front edge of fenders, and about the first 10 inches or so of the hood.

The protection doesn't go back all the way on the hood, just covers that area most likely to be damaged.

They also make pre-cut sets that cover more, at a higher cost.

Reminds me, I should Photoshop one of the pics of the front of my xB to show what areas were covered... You can't really see the protective film itself in any pics I've taken.

Here's an earlier discussion:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67083

And here's the discussion where I described the installation of the film on my xB:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62546

There are a number of companies who make the pre-cut film sets - some better cut than others, I suspect. There are also a much larger number of folks who are qualified to install...
Old 08-04-2005, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhhh... SPRAY ON impact / reinforcement protection for the windshield? .... uhhhhhhhhh..... ummmm.... uhhhhhh..... ok.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I just whipped this up really quickly to show what areas of my xB were covered with the 8 mil 3M paint protection film by AutogardUSA for about $260 installed (assuming the film were putrid purple instead of clearcoated clear):

Hope that helps some to envision what was done.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Tomas, that purple looks pretty sharp! j/k...

I'm going to go with the 3M guard, i just have to find a tint shop in my area (philly,PA) that can do it. I'm going to give the road block guy a call because the closest tint shop that offers the service you bought is a good distance away in NJ. My dealer hasn't gotten back to me yet about it, and they're asking a lot more for basically the same service, though it does cover more of the car.

And to window tint, I agree with your sarcasm in that a spray on application is not going to be a savior from huge boulders hitting the windshield. however, it's more of a wax that fills in the microscopic pitts in the glass...sort of like rain x....it definitely couldn't hurt, but it could reduce pitts caused by smaller debris. I think the GLASGARD bb gun demo on the website I quoted is marketing hype, though.