Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

shave door handles

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member

Default shave door handles

i want to shave the door handles on my xb but have no clue how to do it. How does it work and how do you do it. is it possible with the lambo doors. im new so help me.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Banned
SL Member

it would be done by an autobody shop. if you want to do it right, you'll have to buy door poppers for all 4 doors.

this is not a DIY unless you know electronics/autobody/fabrication, but it's defintely possible
Old 04-06-2005, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Tamago
it would be done by an autobody shop. if you want to do it right, you'll have to buy door poppers for all 4 doors.

this is not a DIY unless you know electronics/autobody/fabrication, but it's defintely possible
you don't need door poppers for all the doors...you can roll the windows down to use the inside latch...not the best method but an alternative...

and if he knew electronics/autobody/fabrication...he would not ask...(j/p...)

you need to weld in blank metal covers where the door handles are, finish them smooth, paint the car (or every door that was shaved)

yes, you can do this with vertical doors. its just the door release mechanism thats being modified. has nothing to do with the hinging of the door...
Old 04-06-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I don't reccomend poppers on all doors unless you drive with alot of people. I have shaved doors and I only have it on the driver door. If someone is riding with me then I just open the door from the inside. OR the window technique. Get the alarm with option to have the windows roll down then BAM, they can open their own door.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love the look of shaved doors.....but I"ve not seen anyone who's been happy with the poppers after a few months......seems like they tear up rather quickly.....
Old 04-06-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I use 1 door popper for my door. 2 people I have window mods for front windows. More then 2 people I have window mods for the rear doors.

You need to know how to weld if your trying to do it yourself.
Make filler plates and grind them and the area around it and weld it in.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Team N.V.S.

really? what's the negatives about poppers, IMO i always thought they were a great thing... ive considered shaving the handles on my box, but it's defniately not cheap; even if i do it myself..
Old 04-06-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

They go bad, they rust, they are a pain in the ___, they take up a channel per popper on your alarm where as window mods take up 1, they have to be perfect or your door wont open, they are more expensive then window modules, you have to run 10 guage power into each door.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned
SL Member

bad quality and usually poorly installed
Old 04-06-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

The absolute negative about doing it is that once the door popper breaks or malfunctions you can't get into your car ... However I have developed a setup that will give the shaved door handle appearance without the permanance. I developed covers that are stainless, paintable or weldable. All sit flush in the factory holes once you remove the door handles. So it is the cheapest way to get shaved handles without all the body work... Drop me a tell ...

Ivan
Old 04-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

what about the seam tho?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz
The absolute negative about doing it is that once the door popper breaks or malfunctions you can't get into your car ... However I have developed a setup that will give the shaved door handle appearance without the permanance. I developed covers that are stainless, paintable or weldable. All sit flush in the factory holes once you remove the door handles. So it is the cheapest way to get shaved handles without all the body work... Drop me a tell ...

Ivan
Can you post some images?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I will, as usual I haven't got around to doing it ... I'm trying not to take just any photos because I will be using them for my brochures website and such, so yes patience, know that its out there and there is no need to do a permanent mod if you dont want to ... I'll get pics up soon..
Old 04-08-2005, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i shave doors at our shop on a daily basis....i think it looks great. you will definately need knowledge of fabrication and body work in order to pull it off correctly.
i would reccomend letting a body shop do it for best results.
only problem with scions is the metal is super thin and the doors ar large and flat so any inperfections in the body work show immediately.
door poppers are OK as long as they are profesionally installed but you can run into problems with them alot of people run a backup button or something similar incase the poppers go out or your battery goes dead. or my favorite solution is pick the cheapest window and your skinniest friend and break it and send him thru to open your door.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz

Ivan
pics, and more info
Old 04-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Great idea might be more spendy than your expecting