For the 93 Octane Pinging Noise Post

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default For the 93 Octane Pinging Noise Post

Wow'....

some great advice here. Thanks to all. I got a call from my regular tech ( he is actually the Lead/Boss tech for the dealer and he told me to go ahead and bring it in this weekend (they have Sat. hours) and he and I are gonna check out the car top to bottom (on a lift) for any other possible problems that it may be and he said he is more than happy to hook it up and check for error codes and such even without 'idiot lights glowing' on the dashboard indicators. I asked about replacing the 'knock-sensor'' at my cost......it would be in the 'hundreds'. Three hours labor plus part. He was sympathetic but said I should not go that route. Not ready for that just yet. Gonna run the codes first and see.

It is a start to a hopeful happy ending. This guy does know his stuff. I really do feel that. He is so completely **** about his own cars according to my favorite service writer "and" he himself. He admitted to being extremely "****" about the running of his own vehicles and those of his customers. That is why he is the only one who has ever touched my car so far. He told me Toyota Corporation has even stated that light pinging/knock is considered normal. .....

I looked it up in my owners manual and "son of a gun", there it is on page 118......"However, occasionally, you may notice light knocking for a short period of time while accelerating or driving up hills. this is normal and there is no need for concern". And "yes" my fellow Scion friends, this is exactly what I am experiencing.

But I still hate that sound, especialy when I did not have it before.

In the meantime, I am gonna run this BP out and put in some Exxon or Mobil and see what that does. My tech was not too confident that this was my problem but still was supportive in my effort to try it. He really knows I am bugged-out about this.

Keep the responses and suggestions coming, he is truly considering all of your opinions for my visit on Saturday.....
Old 08-29-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, I stand corrected.
I am sure that if Toyota knows about the knocking and even puts it in the owner’s manual then it must be acceptable!
Sounds like your mechanic knows his stuff!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

knocking sensor is just a microphone. i watch my knocking on my AFC2 when the bass hits, and it's dead on knock for knock with the bass. also i see knocks when i drive on bumpy roads... the knocking sensor is picking up the bumps and such... no reason to be alarmed, although i can see when my engine is knocking, i have not "heard" any knocking or pinging myself..
Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you tried adding octane boost or racing fuel?