Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

AC no longer working.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AC no longer working.

I turned my ac or a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it cause it was still cool out but it didn't seem to chill the air. so today i tried and nothing. the compressor does not kick on the blower works and all. so i checked fuses and the fuses seem fine. The belt for the compressor is in place. Relay maybe any ideas guys? Oh there is no visible leaks or anything that i noticed.

Thanks. Phil
Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sound like the classic "leak with the low pressure shut off" to me.

You might have to take this one in to a a/c shop, that is if you've checked everything else. Which it sounds like you have already done though.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

there are so many variables when a/c systems don't work. just because there isn't a visible leak doesn't mean that there isn't one in the system.

most common cause of the a/c system imo is that there is low or no refrigerant in the system and the low pressure switch is preventing the coil on compressor clutch to engage. to check the low pressure switch unplug the connector of the switch and jump the wires together with a fused jumper. if it kicks on then its most likely the switch that is bad.

to check for relay causing the compressor to not kick in is to bypass the relay altogether.

if you can find out which terminals of the relay is the coil then you can take a fused jumper wire and jump the coil terminals located in the fuse box and see if the compressor kicks on. if it does when jumped then it could be that the relay was bad.

or better yet if there is an identical relay for something else in the fuse box just swap that relay into the a/c relays spot and see if it works.

best way to check for leaks is with a leak detector. if you have access to a a/c machine then fill with 1 lb of refrigerant and use the leak detector to find any leaks.
most leaks are from any line connections that has a bad o-ring.

good luck.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What the others said... Difficult to troubleshoot on your own unless you are skilled with the HVAC, probably best to take it in and have a shop diagnose and fix. The xB compressor is a different design than older systems- it runs continuously, there isn't a clutch,
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recently posted regarding a similar issue. I had verified pressure okay and narrowed it down to an electrical issue.
I've now narrowed it down to the wiring behind the glove box.

My xB has a cruise control in it. I believe it is one of the two wires that has been tapped into. After removing the glove box and just tugging gently on the wires,my AC came on. It's either the taps or perhaps the connectors in that area.