Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Aftermarket LED tail light MOD (diy sorta)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, thats actually very good!!! So I do need that second resistor on the brake. Thanks Rob, I believe this very informative diagram will really help me get this done. I'll post again when its complete. THANKS!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member

i have a question about the tail lights that you bought on ebay did they come with bulbs, wiring harness, and everything else needed to put on the xb?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they come with everything except the bulbs. i just used the 4 clear bulbs from our stock lights i had sitting around.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member

you had to use only 6 white bulbs for your new tail lights.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member

these were my tail lights before until i got hit by some chick in the parking lot and i was kind of wondering do you think that the bulbs in my old tail light bulbs would work and are the same size. i cant remember cuase my car is at the shop getting fixed. by the way my reverse lights on my old tail lights are blue. here is what my old tail light looked like except it was chrome. do you think the bulbs i had will work for the leds or do i have to buy new bulbs and i just have the new tail lights is a plug in and play once the bulbs are in. also, do i need to buy a new wiring harness?

http://www.viniati.com/images/specd/LTXB04JM.jpg
Old 02-10-2008, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Damar31
you had to use only 6 white bulbs for your new tail lights.
i used the 4 clear bulbs that come in our stock tail lights. the stock tail lights come with 4 clear bulbs and 2 amber bulbs.

Originally Posted by Damar31
these were my tail lights before until i got hit by some chick in the parking lot and i was kind of wondering do you think that the bulbs in my old tail light bulbs would work and are the same size. i cant remember cuase my car is at the shop getting fixed. by the way my reverse lights on my old tail lights are blue. here is what my old tail light looked like except it was chrome. do you think the bulbs i had will work for the leds or do i have to buy new bulbs and i just have the new tail lights is a plug in and play once the bulbs are in. also, do i need to buy a new wiring harness?

http://www.viniati.com/images/specd/LTXB04JM.jpg
if those lights use the same bulbs as stock then they will work in the lights you just bought as well. you do not need any kind of harness. it comes with it.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

great diy. I want to try this when I get my LED tail lights
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally finished this project over the weekend. I really liked the way it came out. Big thanks to Rob (snowromance) for sharing this mod

The only thing thats weird is that the right side does not seem as bright. I checked all the connections, but the leds on the right side do not shine as bright anymore. Any ideas?

Here is how they work:

Here is the mess I created:

And after everything was hooked up:

These are the resistors I used:

It got a little confusing when all the wiring was out, but I followed Robs diagram and everything came out great. Anyone else who has these tail lights should do this mod, you will be happy you took the time to do it.

Last edited by 1epoXyBox; 06-01-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks great!!! you did a nice job cleaning everything up wiring wise.

wasnt it worth it to do this!?!? makes it look so much better and totally unique. good job man.

now about the right array of LEDs being slightly dimmer than the left... im thinking it may be a resistor issue but not sure. so did you use 4 of those exact resistors you have pictured? 2 for turn signal circuits, 2 for brake circuits?

we'll get this figured out.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^Thanks, yes I really am glad I did it! I had existing resistors for the signal led blub. This is what they look like (8ohm, 50W I believe):

I couldn't find the same ones to be used for the brake, so I bought these (6.8 ohm, 25W):

One of each is used on both sides. I soldered all the wiring together to make sure everything had a good connection. I think now that I should have used connectors instead. It would have been easier to take apart.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the right side still acting up? are you getting any warning lights indicated on the dash??

when i first wired everything up i didnt put any resistor in the braking circuits and both my lights were dim, along with cruise control not functioning, and 3 warning lights illuminated on the dash.

once i wired the resistors in for the brake circuit everything was fine.

are you sure you have the correct wires on the right side??
Old 02-22-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, the right is still a bit dimmer. There are no warning lights and I don't have cruise control. I believe I double checked everything, but I will go in there again. I think I want to attach the wires with connectors instead anyway. I'll have to wait for the rain to stop though.
What about resistors? Is there a high percentage of resistors that do not function properly right out of the box? I would love it to be that simple. Thanks for the help Rob.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i highly doubt you got a bad resistor but its always possible i guess. the percentage chance would be very low though.

the wiring diagram i drew you, that is exactly how mine is wired and works perfect. all i can think of is just double check everything and make sure you have all the right wires connected to the right places.

keep us posted please :-)
Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey snow, i just ordered these lights and i got a question for you, this may seem dumb, but regarding the resistors, are you attaching one end of the resistor to say the L turn, and then splicing into the ground and soldering in the other end of the resistor(and so on for the brake), i know this is exactly what the diagram is showing, but i just want to clear this up before i start cutting up the wires to my brand new taillights and factory wire harness.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude you got screwed over by your LED taillight company too! The lights you received didnt match the picture. The picture has one clear circle at the bottom, what you got was two clear rectangles at the bottom. I complained about mine because it wasnt as clean and it made the lights look ugly. They said i was the first to notice the change and since i hated it I sent the lights back for a full refund.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^actually, the ones i ordered were pictured as the circles at the bottom, but i sure wouldnt mine if i get the square ones though, because those are the ones i really want.
(i was being cheap and didnt buy the square ones cause they were like 35 bucks more)
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by leov36
^actually, the ones i ordered were pictured as the circles at the bottom, but i sure wouldnt mine if i get the square ones though, because those are the ones i really want.
(i was being cheap and didnt buy the square ones cause they were like 35 bucks more)
what color did you get?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by leov36
damn man, if you would have seen my post in WTB, i would have traded with you for the ones with the circles. i hate the rectangular ones. i sent it back yesterday.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought the red ones from ebay, from superbabyturbo, there was another seller who had them for a couple bucks cheaper, but there feedback wasnt as good.

so snowromance, did you see my question up there^
Old 03-13-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yes i apologize. you are right, thats exactly how you do it. one side to the turn the other to the ground. remember the one for the brake lights circuit is the same so kill 2 birds with one stone and dont bust out the soldering iron until you are ready to solder both at the same time!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket LED tail light MOD (diy sorta)