Air Conditioning Concerns...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Air Conditioning Concerns...

Hey everyone, I have a question. I have remote start on my xB, so in the summer when I turn my car off, I usually leave the air conditioner on, so that I can start the car and let it get cool before getting in it. I get in my xB this morning and notice a terrible mildewy smell. I then notice that the driver and passenger carpets are wet. It rained the night before, so I thought it was a leak with the windows. I call the service dept. at my Scion dealership, and they tell me that they see this alot with xB's, and that's its not the windows, its the air conditioning?! Has or does anyone have this problem? Is it because I leave the air conditioner on when the car is not running?! I'd appreciate any help or advice you guys have!!
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it';s just that the drain moves or leaks before it's regular drip spot under the car. i believe the drain is situated below/next to the passenger side floor.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Air Conditioning Concerns...

Originally Posted by PaRaGoNViCtiM
Hey everyone, I have a question. I have remote start on my xB, so in the summer when I turn my car off, I usually leave the air conditioner on, so that I can start the car and let it get cool before getting in it. I get in my xB this morning and notice a terrible mildewy smell. I then notice that the driver and passenger carpets are wet. It rained the night before, so I thought it was a leak with the windows. I call the service dept. at my Scion dealership, and they tell me that they see this alot with xB's, and that's its not the windows, its the air conditioning?! Has or does anyone have this problem? Is it because I leave the air conditioner on when the car is not running?! I'd appreciate any help or advice you guys have!!
Thanks!
Never notice any wet spots but when the A/C is on, then I leave the car, come back and I get the smell from the A/C vents. Had tha same problem with my Toyota truck.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It wasn't just a little spot, the carpets were really wet.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah it happens. the drain tube needs to be repositioned and the carpets dried out or replaced.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yes--I read another post where the owner had this problem and the drain was not situated properly. This should be a warranty issue--make sure you have no mildew or rust problem because of this...........
Old 06-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...and for those odd smells from the A/C:

Toyota FAQ
Old 06-30-2006, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

where be this drain plug located?? i need to check mine
Old 06-30-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Air Conditioning Concerns...

Originally Posted by PaRaGoNViCtiM
... the driver and passenger carpets are wet... ts the air conditioning?! Has or does anyone have this problem?...
Happened to me years ago on a Rabbit. The warm moist air in the car condenses on the cold evaporator under the dash. The evaporator is in an air box that collects the condensate water. There is a drain tube that goes down below the floor and drips the condensate on the ground.

Either (a) the drain tube has come off the box, or has come out of the hole in the floor, so the condensate is dripping into the car, or (b) the drain tube has becom plugged up with mold or debris and air box has filled up with condensate and leaked or overflowed.

You will have to raise the xB to get under it to see and reach the drain tube. You can very gently run a piece of stiff wire or coat hanger up through it to ream out any crud that may be plugging it. That worked for the Rabbit for awhile. But if the condensate box has debris or mold in it, it will likely plug the drain tube again. And if the drain tube has come off the box, it will need to be reattached.

I don't know how to see the xB evaporator box to see if its drain tube has come off. If you remove the glove box (see thread for changing cabin filter), you can maybe see an air box under the dash. It will have refrigerant lines and air ducts going into and out of it.

My Rabbit's leak kept coming back after reaming the drain. I figured the air box was growing mold, so I drilled a little hole in the upper side of it and sprayed in Simple Green and other cleaners, which stopped the problem. I am not suggesting that can or should be done with our Scions. I would talk to the dealer some more.