Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Default Any suggestions

Well first off hi everyone. Just got my 04 XB auto trans about a week ago and did the first MPG check. I got 29 MPG Pretty much all city driving. Coming from a jeep Cherokee that only got 14 MPG pretty happy.Was hoping for at least 32MPG but 29 still is not bad. Anyone have any suggestion how to up a little bit more? I have changed the plugs (gap to 35) changed to Mobil 1 oil check my tire air pressure and air filter. And I have been trying to keep the RPM's under 2300.( man does that really make people mad) hahah.
I think it needs a aliment so going to get that done soon.
JAY
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Definitely recommend the alignment. Might want to think about an short ram intake. If you don't drive aggressively it actually will gain you a few miles per gallon. You can also think about getting your fuel injectors cleaned.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by jadeT
Definitely recommend the alignment. Might want to think about an short ram intake. If you don't drive aggressively it actually will gain you a few miles per gallon. You can also think about getting your fuel injectors cleaned.
Yeah was thinking about the Injectors clean Is that something i can do my self. Or should be taken in. I have changed Injectors in other cars just not cleaned them. Was thinking about getting a scan gauge 2 but man 150 bucks seems kinda high.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jay6776
Yeah was thinking about the Injectors clean Is that something i can do my self. Or should be taken in. I have changed Injectors in other cars just not cleaned them. Was thinking about getting a scan gauge 2 but man 150 bucks seems kinda high.
get injector cleaner at your local parts store...you can pour it into your gas tank
Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by my06tc
get injector cleaner at your local parts store...you can pour it into your gas tank
did that.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best way to increase MPGs in the xB is to shift into neutral whenever you coast. If you see a red light, shift to neutral. You will see dramatic MPG increases.

Keep freeway speeds at or below 60MPH.

Use cruise control if you have it, if not, dont adjust your throttle too much.

Buy an Ultra Gauge. (ultragauge.com) A cheap tool that plugs into your xB and gives you LIVE readouts of your MPG. It helps a lot.

The heaven zone for MPGs in the automatic xBs is between 38MPH and 50MPH. On flat roads, you will be in 4th gear and you will average about 45MPG maintaining a steady speed. Anything faster, your MPG will drop.

On the freeway I average about:
36MPG going 60MPH.
32MPG going 65MPH.
30MPG going 70MPH.
26MPG going 75MPH.
and anything over 80MPH I manage to squeeze about 22MPG.

Coasting in neutral is such a huge MPG booster since our xB's are fitted with DFCO (direct fuel cut off). Ever notice when you let off the gas pedal and your xb kinda lurches and slows itself down a bit? That is known as DFCO. DFCO cuts off fuel to the engine. Sounds good, right? Wrong: DFCO drastically reduces your momentum! Momentum is key to increasing your MPGs.

Shift into neutral when you are coasting down hills or about to stop. And yes, it is ok for the transmission if you shift to neutral and then shift back into drive without stopping.

Hope that helps!

http://www.fuelly.com/car/scion/xb/2006
http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyperm...ecodriving.php
Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by ajcadoo
The best way to increase MPGs in the xB is to shift into neutral whenever you coast. If you see a red light, shift to neutral. You will see dramatic MPG increases.

Keep freeway speeds at or below 60MPH.

Use cruise control if you have it, if not, dont adjust your throttle too much.

Buy an Ultra Gauge. (ultragauge.com) A cheap tool that plugs into your xB and gives you LIVE readouts of your MPG. It helps a lot.

The heaven zone for MPGs in the automatic xBs is between 38MPH and 50MPH. On flat roads, you will be in 4th gear and you will average about 45MPG maintaining a steady speed. Anything faster, your MPG will drop.

On the freeway I average about:
36MPG going 60MPH.
32MPG going 65MPH.
30MPG going 70MPH.
26MPG going 75MPH.
and anything over 80MPH I manage to squeeze about 22MPG.

Coasting in neutral is such a huge MPG booster since our xB's are fitted with DFCO (direct fuel cut off). Ever notice when you let off the gas pedal and your xb kinda lurches and slows itself down a bit? That is known as DFCO. DFCO cuts off fuel to the engine. Sounds good, right? Wrong: DFCO drastically reduces your momentum! Momentum is key to increasing your MPGs.

Shift into neutral when you are coasting down hills or about to stop. And yes, it is ok for the transmission if you shift to neutral and then shift back into drive without stopping.

Hope that helps!

http://www.fuelly.com/car/scion/xb/2006
http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyperm...ecodriving.php
Thanks HA was going to ask if it was out to shift into N than I read the bottom of your post lol
Thanks again everyone
Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ajcadoo summed it up nicely. I have a 5 speed, and get fuel economy like this coasting downhill.
110.7 mpg for 28.7 miles down the Tehachapi grade.
Name:  100_0222.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  93.0 KB
109.6 mpg for 31.4 miles down the Grapevine from Tejon pass to Valencia.
Name:  IMG_0228Small-1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  26.2 KB
I've averaged 49.4 mpg for >30,000 miles in my xB.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats the best coasting method with the manual tranny ? Normally I just clutch and sometimes clutch and shift into neutral....

My 05 xB just doesn't coast like my old heavy cars did....even on these flat Florida roads I would think it should coast better....
Old 02-28-2012, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by sammydad1
Whats the best coasting method with the manual tranny ? Normally I just clutch and sometimes clutch and shift into neutral....

My 05 xB just doesn't coast like my old heavy cars did....even on these flat Florida roads I would think it should coast better....
Yeah these car do not coast far at all. At least mine don't
Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member

I have been on these boards extensively looking for tips, mods, or potential problems....I rarely go over 2k RPMS, do about 85% highway at 55-60mph, get up to speed slow, started putting it in Neutral while coasting and get on average 300 miles per tank. I keep my stats on fuelly.com and get 29-30mpgs....I just put in the ngk irridium .44 gap, replaced the air filter (with a cheap one, probably going to get the K&N drop in)... but i think the way I drive it now I should be getting more mpgs. Although 30ish is good it sucks seeing people get 35-40+ when I drive like a granny
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To achieve the crazy high 100+ mpg figures, I shift to neutral & shut the engine off (don't do this with an AT). The vast majority of the time on highway trips, I keep the engine on, and shift to neutral for coasting.

Our xBs are severely challenged aerodynamically. Our drag coefficient isn't too bad at .35, but we have much more frontal area than the average sedan, so our CdA is terrible. I've gotten my doors blown off by a 2.4 liter Ford Fusion. He got 65 mpg on the same drive where I got 60 mpg. I'm sure the reason is my xB's poor glide performance. For that matter, my wife's 2.0 liter 2012 AT Elantra will beat my xB every time on straight cruising on the highway.

Be sure to inflate your tires (I inflate to sidewall max) and anticipate slowdowns & stops. Most people still have their foot on the gas half a block from stoplights and stop signs, and waste their kinetic energy as brake dust. I'm coasting to those stops 3-4 blocks ahead, and rarely touch the brakes at all.

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 02-28-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ty0812
I have been on these boards extensively looking for tips, mods, or potential problems....I rarely go over 2k RPMS, do about 85% highway at 55-60mph, get up to speed slow, started putting it in Neutral while coasting and get on average 300 miles per tank. I keep my stats on fuelly.com and get 29-30mpgs....I just put in the ngk irridium .44 gap, replaced the air filter (with a cheap one, probably going to get the K&N drop in)... but i think the way I drive it now I should be getting more mpgs. Although 30ish is good it sucks seeing people get 35-40+ when I drive like a granny
I hear ya man. Was trying to keep the RPMs under 2000 to but to slow for me. So now trying to keep under 2500 to 3000. (Were I live you will get run over if you do not go.) But kinda funny with me driving like this seems like I'm getting better MPG this time. I'm at little under 3/4's of a tank with 95 miles on it. I pretty much drive city only so for me getting 29 or 30 MPG is pretty good. And are winter mix gas up here makes us get worse.Last car only got 13 MPG so I'm doubling what I use to get. So I'm happy. Good luck
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R
To achieve the crazy high 100+ mpg figures, I shift to neutral & shut the engine off (don't do this with an AT). The vast majority of the time on highway trips, I keep the engine on, and shift to neutral for coasting.

Our xBs are severely challenged aerodynamically. Our drag coefficient isn't too bad at .35, but we have much more frontal area than the average sedan, so our CdA is terrible. I've gotten my doors blown off by a 2.4 liter Ford Fusion. He got 65 mpg on the same drive where I got 60 mpg. I'm sure the reason is my xB's poor glide performance. For that matter, my wife's 2.0 liter 2012 AT Elantra will beat my xB every time on straight cruising on the highway.

Be sure to inflate your tires (I inflate to sidewall max) and anticipate slowdowns & stops. Most people still have their foot on the gas half a block from stoplights and stop signs, and waste their kinetic energy as brake dust. I'm coasting to those stops 3-4 blocks ahead, and rarely touch the brakes at all.
Man you are getting some crazy MPG but I just can not drive that slow and do all that stuff that you are doing to achieve them numbers. I did inflate tires to 35psi and its pretty hard ride could not take the 44psi. I have been trying to time lights and shift to neutral (not killing the engine) just gliding and I will say I think that helps alot.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have a higher mileage xB it may be worth replacing your shocks & struts. if they are worn out the wheel bounces more than it should which hurts your MPG & adds to tire wear. I finally replaced my front struts at 160K and noticed ~2+ MPG improvement.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member

^ I only have 31k on my 05 automatic....like I said I have been babying my xb (at or under 2000RPM) and still sticking around 29-30ish mpgs driving like 85% highway...still trying different things/techniques/mods or trying to find if there is an issue with the car somewhere