Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Anyone running E-10 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well with the added ethanol, would gas addatives help with better milage or would it actually hurt more?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Experience blurb

My baby lovers E10. Never saw a change buying E10 in SE PA. Still getting 31.5-34 MPG local.

Automatics..... already have inefficiency engineered in. Can't do alot there.

Manuals.... I don't downshift to slow the box. Unlike a diesel, a gas engine can't defuel in to the same point that a diesel can. Coasting and brake pads are far cheaper over the long run.

Saw a good show yesterday on making fuel at home for $2.40 a gallon using a whiskey still, at a rate of 5 GPH.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well with the added ethanol, would gas addatives help with better milage or would it actually hurt more?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...529093#1529093
Old 04-30-2006, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by ApostolicFire
Originally Posted by hotbox05
41.5 mpg uh huh yeah........
You obviously don't read the forums much, do you? (post count doesnt' mean anything). I know plenty of people that posted on this forum get 40+MPG. Looking at your mods, of course you get crappy mileage. I have everything stock. Please read my post from last year:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hlight=#941243

This is how I calculate my mileage... pretty simple process.

Originally Posted by superfreestyle
I found out a few days ago that all our stations use E-10. I get between 29MPG (w/ 4 people driving ~75-80) and 41.5MPG (with 2 people driving ~60-65).
d@mn thats tight..... you must have a steering wheel for each wheel on the car for all 4 to be driving!!!!! show us some pics of your steering setup please!!!!! and tell me your secret to getting 41.5mpg..... modified mathematics???
Fixed the grammar of the previous post. Read above for the "modified mathematics." If my math is incorrect, please point out my error.
yeah plenty of people say they get that kind of mileage. doesnt mean it's true. oh and adding mods doesnt guarrantee lower mpg , and having no mods doesnt add up to being able to get 41.5 mpg.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member

Default Homemade Fuel?

Saw a good show yesterday on making fuel at home for $2.40 a gallon using a whiskey still, at a rate of 5 GPH.
Does anyone know of a link on how to do this?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You obviously don't read the forums much, do you? (post count doesnt' mean anything). I know plenty of people that posted on this forum get 40+MPG. Looking at your mods, of course you get crappy mileage. I have everything stock. Please read my post from last year:

I found out a few days ago that all our stations use E-10. I get between 29MPG (w/ 4 people driving ~75-80) and 41.5MPG (with 2 people driving ~60-65).
d@mn thats tight..... you must have a steering wheel for each wheel on the car for all 4 to be driving!!!!! show us some pics of your steering setup please!!!!! and tell me your secret to getting 41.5mpg..... modified mathematics???
Fixed the grammar of the previous post. Read above for the "modified mathematics." If my math is incorrect, please point out my error.
yeah plenty of people say they get that kind of mileage. doesnt mean it's true. oh and adding mods doesnt guarrantee lower mpg , and having no mods doesnt add up to being able to get 41.5 mpg.
So what's your point? That saying can be said for anything. For all I know you might not even live in Cali or even own a Scion. You might only have a Geo Metro for all we know, but do you answer every post on this forum the way you did mine? No, you don't (even though many of your posts are thoughtless and only meant to flame), so stop being a hypocrite.

I noticed you didn't comment regarding my MPG calculation methods... is that because they are correct and that I go beyond what other people do to calculate their MPG? It basically sounds like you have nothing to say at all in this post. So go cover your head in the sand and keep on pretending to only hear what you want to hear. Some of us know how to drive a car to maximize mileage... you don't, so get over it.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Homemade Fuel?

Originally Posted by spjctim
Does anyone know of a link on how to do this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Whiskey-Moonshin...QQcmdZViewItem

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id8.html

http://www.distillery-yeast.com/dist...anol/fuel1.htm
Old 05-19-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread is still interesting...even if i was a little off about what we were talking about..
Old 05-19-2006, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd like to give a few pointers on getting accurate readings.

1) Fill up your tank in the morning and before you have your car on longer than 5 minutes.

2) Try to use the exact same gas pump for testing. Not all pumps are created equal.

3) Try to fill up in similar weather conditions/temperatures.

4) Make sure your tires are properly inflated.

Now getting to the actual process, here is step by step of how it should be done.

1) Fill up your tank and reset your trip odometer.

2) When you need to fill up, write down the miles on the trip odometer and how much gas you put in the tank.

3) Use the following formula: a= miles on trip odometer; b = gallons of gas used to fill up tank; c=mpg
a/b=c

ex: a=287.9 miles/b=10.7 gallons=c=26mpg
I think some of your points are valid, and some aren't. If your methodology uses the same conditions at all times (e.g., same pump, same time-of-day, same weather, etc.) some of this could enhance your mileage beyond reality. For example, what if you are using a gas pump that consistently delivers more gasoline than advertised? If you stay with the same pump every time, it'd be no wonder you got exceptional fuel economy readings.

Personally, I tank up at a variety of stations, times, and conditions. In other words, I fill 'er up when needed, wherever I am. I make only minor concessions based on price, since saving a nickel often ends up costing a dime (especially in these times of higher fuel costs).

Without prejudicing your anecdotal findings, see my post at https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=119078 for an example of a well-documented fueling log, where I am putting my money where my mouth is.

In short, my manual '05 xB gets about 29.5 in mostly city driving (with lots of short 3mi trips) using regular gasoline and a mostly stock car. Do you have any plausible explanation as to how yours might be getting 12MPG more?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, how come so many of these threads seem to devolve into a lot of angry arguments about MPG? Gets a little painful to wade through them so I apologize in advance if my questions were already covered in another post -- I did try searching. (If it was please post the thread. Thanks)

Why did gas companies stop posting what type of mix they use at the pump? (I’ve never really looked at anything but the price before; I’ll try to remember to look closer the next time I fill up. Got a full tank now so it’ll be awhile. ) Do any companies still do it? If there are mixes out there with more than 10% ethanol I would rather not use them now.

Anyway, from my own non scientific experiences, I pretty much agree with Tomas’s explanation for variety (or lack thereof) in regional fuel mixtures. Assuming that’s true, does anyone know a site that compares different companies on the local level? Or is that pretty much a pipe dream since it can very by the batch? In which case has anyone in the Los Angeles area done the trial & error thing? Any recommendations?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll stay away from the mileage controversy, except to say that the first tank of dealer supplied gas came out at 30.4 mpg with mixed city and freeway driving.

Definitely expect lower mileage from winter blend or E-10, for a couple of reasons.

1 Ethanol has fewer btu's per gallon than gasoline by a wide margin. Less energy in a full tank means it'll get used up faster doing the same amount of work.

2 Ethanol has excellent anti-knock properties, so manufacturers can blend really crappy low energy gasoline with ethanol and still get the octane rating shown on the pump- again, lower energy in each gallon.

This is offset slightly by the fact that ethanol gives up free oxygen as part of the combustion process, giving a cleaner and more complete burn to the gasoline component of the fuel mixture... oxygenated fuel...

Part of the reason our little boxes perform as well as they do is the high compression engine- 10.5:1. The Owners' Manual calls for 87 octane, which is midgrade around here. Sure, it'll run on 85 octane regular, but that's only because the computer and knock sensor back off on the ignition timing, which means poorer performance and reduced mileage...

And so far as different brands are concerned, it's hard to tell, given the cross marketing agreements so prevalent in the industry, where different refineries can supply their gas to a variety of branded outlets, and that can vary from one load to the next . Modern oil companies' competition at the refinery and pump level is, uhh, marginal at best....

At least with ethanol blended gas, you'll never have to add gas line antifreeze...

And you're helping poor starving companies like ConAgra and Cargill stay in business...
Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I seriously want to know what the hell you guys do to get 40+ mpg in your whips. Mine is CONSTANTLY at 26-28 mpg with varying driving conditions. Even a complete highway run (non-stop on one tank), and I STILL saw no better or no worse than 27 MPG.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing that those instructions didnt tell you is that when you fill up, let the pump fill and auto kick off. Dont try to "top it off" as you dont actually know how much you are over filling and will make the calculations inaccuarate
Old 05-22-2006, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here in WI, all our unleaded contains ethanol. I know our 87 octane is 10%. I consistantly get 31-32 mpg. Last tank I got just a hair over 32 mpg. However, when I fill up somewhere that doesn't have e10, I get better milage. Best milage I've had was 38 on non e10. Best with was 33.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ALL we have around here is E10... I don't even check anymore, cause EVERY gas station I have been to in the Chicago suburbs uses E10... And our LOW grade is 87 octane.. mid is 89, and high is 92... I THINK...

All I have to say is that I am pretty hard on my box, and I regularly get 30+ mpg... I fill up ONLY on Sunday's, cause
1. thats my only day off
2. to see how far I can go on a tank

I have NEVER had to put more than 9.5 gallons in. I got 311.9 miles on 9.4 gallons my last fill up. That is all city driving too...

I can agree with ApostolicFire with the getting 40 mpg... Not sure if anyone noticed, but it was goin 60-65... HONESTLY, how many of you flaming on him drive that speed on the highway?? I know I don't. The close-ratio trans doesn't exactly HELP fuel exonomy on the highway when your going 80-85 as MOST do. When I am at 80-85, the engine is running at 4000-4500 RPM... Going 60-65 I think it is closer to 2000-2500... I will have to check on my way home from work today.

EDIT: OK, on my way home, I found out I was incorrect by quite a lot... 60mph is 3000RPM ON THE DOT... 65 is about 3200-3400... Couldn't get to 80 cause of traffic...