Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

The Black Box! (under the rear of my Xb)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dirty
Now this may be wrong or different for other makes but when on all my friends truck and on my nissan we took the canisters off and threw them in the trash, made no difference whatsoever. :D
Since leaving the gas cap loose will cause a "check engine" light, it would seem that leaving the charcoal canister off will cause the same thing to happen, due to an open vent condition.

There are so many tubes going into that box that I doubt that it is simply a charcoal canister.

Still, I would like to have a solution. All we need is one brave soul to give it a try!

George
Old 04-14-2004, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The black box is a charcoal filter for gas fumes. It can be moved without freaking out the computer (ecu). You can put it anywhere in or outside of the car. It has to be rewired and replumbed without any air leaks or pinched hoses. The ecu monitors this black box constantly, so if you remove it you will have the check engine light on. If you move it do not start the car until you hook it back up. The check engine light may come on and have to be reset if the car is started up without the box hooked up correctly. If you remove it be careful to install it correctly. I found this out from my Scion Mechanic here at the dealership. I hope this information is helpful.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to have my spare tire on the back of the scion. That would look good if done right!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by norm
The black box is a charcoal filter for gas fumes. It can be moved without freaking out the computer (ecu). You can put it anywhere in or outside of the car. It has to be rewired and replumbed without any air leaks or pinched hoses. The ecu monitors this black box constantly, so if you remove it you will have the check engine light on. If you move it do not start the car until you hook it back up. The check engine light may come on and have to be reset if the car is started up without the box hooked up correctly. If you remove it be careful to install it correctly. I found this out from my Scion Mechanic here at the dealership. I hope this information is helpful.
Very helpful! Thanks for researching it for us!

George
Old 04-14-2004, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I choose to use a full size spare (195/50/15) and show it off, also I utilized the area beneath it to add additional airspace to my sub enclosure. Below is a link to the mock up I am doing, I almost have the fiberglass tire cover finished that will show about 1” of rubber and the whole rim…

http://groups.msn.com/GearheadJr/sub...oto&PhotoID=95
Old 04-16-2004, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Toy xbox
I choose to use a full size spare (195/50/15) and show it off, also I utilized the area beneath it to add additional airspace to my sub enclosure. Below is a link to the mock up I am doing, I almost have the fiberglass tire cover finished that will show about 1” of rubber and the whole rim…

Are you running on the Axis Maglites or is that just for the spare? I'd LOVE to see a pic of those on your Box. Those are the rims I want, just in graphite... and 17"
Old 04-16-2004, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey that would be cool if you could mount it on the back. Just not sure how that would work as far as opening and closing the hatch.

Sean
Old 04-16-2004, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Originally Posted by Toy xbox

Are you running on the Axis Maglites or is that just for the spare? I'd LOVE to see a pic of those on your Box. Those are the rims I want, just in graphite... and 17"
no, just using it for the spare because it is 11lbs. I have the 19" Axis spiders, xBboy (Nilo) was running them he might have pics of it...
Old 04-17-2004, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Bicepeak
Hey that would be cool if you could mount it on the back. Just not sure how that would work as far as opening and closing the hatch.

Sean
You'd have to have it mounted separately on a swingout arm. You'd never be able to lift the gate and keep it up otherwise. They used to make an add on arm like that for the Jeep Cherokee after they crammed the spare inside. It would be hard to find a solid point to mount it

Either get a roof rack and toss it on top or wait for AAA...
Old 04-17-2004, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Originally Posted by Bicepeak

Sean
You'd have to have it mounted separately on a swingout arm. You'd never be able to lift the gate and keep it up otherwise. They used to make an add on arm like that for the Jeep Cherokee after they crammed the spare inside. It would be hard to find a solid point to mount it

Either get a roof rack and toss it on top or wait for AAA...

You are right...it doesn't sound feasible.

Sean
Old 04-19-2004, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by MotoMan_YZ400
well when the weather here (north Va) clears up a lil, i'm gunna throw it on a lift and check things out, if i find any new advances i'll let ppl know. Cuz i can bet that a lot more scion ppl would love to relocate that spare tire.
The biggest problem with relocation under the rear is when you have a rear flat, you will need to jack the car up to get it out. I personally would not get under that car with that flimsey little scissor jack and try to unbolt the tire. Deathtrap city. :oops:
Old 06-06-2004, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member

if you have a roof rack, go out and buy a full size spare and throw it on the top... kinda 4x4ing trick, when you dont have space, throw it on the roof... tires, water, gas, jacks, gear, ramps, tools, everything goes on the roof, and bungie/tie down galore