First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Broken Hood Latch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Broken Hood Latch!

So I was on a long trip and used up all my wiper fluid. When I went to pop the hood to refill, the cable snapped! So yeah, being winter and not being able to use my wipers/fluid is going to suck.

Anyone have any tips on how I can get the hood open and initiate a repair?

My last resort is taking it in to a dealership, because the last two dealerships I took my box into screwed me (one actually glued a part onto my car rather than replacing!!!). So I don't have a high level of trust of the service departments in my area. I'd rather attempt this myself, then take it in only if it proves to be too difficult. Plus I don't want them to charge me 4 hours of labor for them to stare at my hood while scratching their butts.

Any suggestions? Anyone been in this situation, and if so, how did you get it resolved?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The latch is mounted on a crossbar in front of the radiator and behind the front grill just below the lip of the hood. The latch has a tab on the grill side that you should be able to reach with a ruler or screwdriver. The tab is on the driver's side of the latch. If you lift the tab, it will rotate the hook and release the hood. A shop towel or two and a good flashlight should help.

Good luck,
MD
Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cherry-8
The latch is mounted on a crossbar in front of the radiator and behind the front grill just below the lip of the hood. The latch has a tab on the grill side that you should be able to reach with a ruler or screwdriver. The tab is on the driver's side of the latch. If you lift the tab, it will rotate the hook and release the hood. A shop towel or two and a good flashlight should help.

Good luck,
MD
Wow, you make it sound so easy! I truly hope it is...as I'm getting concerned at how much it would cost the "service" department to fix.

Thanks!