Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Which cargo basket for your rack-equipped xB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member

Default Which cargo basket for your rack-equipped xB?

Whooo - my first post. Great site, tons of useful info. Im already spending a lot of time here.

To business:

We will be getting our first xB next week, and opted for the roof rack (from scionpartspeople at a huge discount over dealer, thank you very much) for use on family trips when taking lots of stuff - luggage, musical gear, etc.

Ive been looking at a bunch of different cargo baskets online and really cant decide which one to go for. I like the depth of the Yakima Load Warrior, but wonder if it might be too big for the xB.

Anyone use a cargo basket? Which one, what results, where'd you get it and how much?

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member

i got the basket case from yakima,works great,plenty of room,i did want the load warrior though,not sure if its too big or not,i am able to get 2 bike racks on top also with the basket case i have.if you arent worried about putting anything else but a cargo basket ,try the load warrior,it does have more of a bulkier profile ,good luck
Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member

just to add to your question,got it jax bicycle center in so cal,paid 90 dollars cause it was out of the box
Old 10-14-2006, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member

Any of the yakima baskets are great but pricey. I bought a no name 48" x 80" x 4" basket through amazon.com and love it. I'm able to carry two bikes plus the basket and I only paid 90 bucks for it. I will admit that I did hit it with a coat of por15 rust proof paint before I installed it.

My advice shop around for what suits you best.

Mike
Old 10-14-2006, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mike:

I want a Yakima rack for my 06 xB, but I get sooooo confused looking at all the options.

Do all "Q mounts" fit the xB? How do I know what size bars to get? I think I need a fairing to hold down wind noise; which size fairing for the xB?

I also am going to get the bike rack that holds the bike witout front tire removal and a cargo box.

Any help/advise (part numbers would be great), from anybody would be welcome.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member

This is the one that I got. The Scion Yakima Rack Like I said, I got it for $67 less than the dealership wanted, and that included shipping.

Now, thats just the rack. What Im looking at getting is a cargo basket, like this or the Yakima load warrior , but the Yakimas are soooo freaking expensive. This one is an option, too.

I want something really functional that doesnt look like hell. I dont think the Yakima Basket case will do what Im looking for, but thaks for all the info so far.

Mike - 80 inches long??!! Got any pics?
Old 10-14-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice rack ! lol
Old 10-14-2006, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member

q towers wil fit xb,
Old 10-15-2006, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I've got a Yakima Space Cadet on my TCM xB (picture in my profile). It cost $325 out the door at REI.

I love that it doesn't hang over the front windshield like most of the other ones were going to. It's not long enough for skis but great for luggage, strollers, jumper cables, tow ropes and such!

I love it and think it looks awesome. My husband hates it with every thread of his being, lol.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member

PapaMookie,

The Blackwidow rack looks exactly like the rack I bought. I just searched around until I found the dementions I wanted. I don't have any pics yet, but I got my rack through amazon.

Hope that helps.

As for a bike attachement again you can't go wrong with a yakima bike attachement, personally I baught one from JCwhitney.com that didn't require the front wheel to be removed and work out pretty nicely. I had no problems with either my bike (an ironhorse warrier) or basket on my drive from South Florida to Chicago in August. I was even averaging speeds of about 75-80 the entire trip.

Mike
Old 05-27-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SFloridaMike
PapaMookie,

The Blackwidow rack looks exactly like the rack I bought. I just searched around until I found the dementions I wanted. I don't have any pics yet, but I got my rack through amazon.

Hope that helps.

As for a bike attachement again you can't go wrong with a yakima bike attachement, personally I baught one from JCwhitney.com that didn't require the front wheel to be removed and work out pretty nicely. I had no problems with either my bike (an ironhorse warrier) or basket on my drive from South Florida to Chicago in August. I was even averaging speeds of about 75-80 the entire trip.

Mike
Any chance of getting a picture of that 80" x 48" cargo basket?