Crunching Sensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Crunching Sensation

No this isn't concerning Nesle Crunch bars Its about the box. i'm getting a little concerned about the fact that when i make wide/sharp turns (especially to right) i hear little faint crunching sounds. It only began after i put on aftermarket wheels, so i know it isnt the stocks. I have been told that it may be cheap tires, but i am beginning to doubt that. Also, if you are outside of the car and someone is driving inside of it and makes a wide/sharp turn, the sound is audible as a *squeaking* sound, as if it hits something for a brief moment then stops. I'm growing ever paranoid to this and need some help from someone who might have experienced this, thanks.

andrew.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bumping, i enjoy safety
Old 03-22-2005, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

do you have a swaybar in front? aftermarket? mine makes a.. i guess crunching noise / squeak when i turn left and it's because of my hotchkis sway bar. we've tried adjusting it, adding more grease, tighting/loosening, reinstalling. doesn't go away and it's intermittent..

it's like a nagging windows error that pops up every so often.. grrr
Old 03-22-2005, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That happend to me once, that squeaky noise after i made a turn. I was super paranoid for like a while but it never came back. Im not worried any more.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

No sway bar. Hmm.. I KNOW it's coming from the wheels, and that's what bothers me: that i almost can't trust my own wheels/tires for safety. I've asked about this problem before, but was only convinced that it was tire road noise. I don't want to speak to the dealer because they'd come up with some bullsh1t saying it's what i had put on there (and maybe even it was) and try to screw my warranty over.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well, if you are sure its the wheel and its only when making right turns, then its rubbing.. my guess. you should see if you can get it on a lift and get the load off the wheels, see if it makes the same noise.. while yer under there, look for places where there's rub / scuff marks or if the wheel is hitting a part of the suspension or wheel well liner.

the dealer can't void your warranty unless they can prove that the aftermarket part you installed is the direct cause of the problem. if your wheels are within spec, that shouldn't be cause for concern. if you have some weird offset or some other mod that the dealer didnt cover.. that might be a problem
Old 03-22-2005, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CV joints?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

That's what I was thinking, but I hope we're wrong!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by EEk13
do you have a swaybar in front? aftermarket? mine makes a.. i guess crunching noise / squeak when i turn left and it's because of my hotchkis sway bar. we've tried adjusting it, adding more grease, tighting/loosening, reinstalling. doesn't go away and it's intermittent..

it's like a nagging windows error that pops up every so often.. grrr
You might want to remove that front swaybar.

Not only because of the noise, but because a stiffer front sway bar makes your car understeer more, which is great if you drive like grandma, but if you drive aggressively, it will actually dial in more understeer and force you to back off the speed into a turn.

Google understeer and you will see why a front sway bar is a bad idea, especially on a front engine, front wheel drive car. Companies will sell you anything as a "perfromance" part, doesn't mean it will actually improve performance...
Old 03-23-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

are your after market wheels aluminum? if they are, it is the aluminum "CREEKING" when there is a load on the wheel , such as turning. don't know why aluminum wheels do this, but they do. my first set of aluminum wheels did this to me about 15 years ago, and it scared me to death until my wheel guy told me what it was. now i have no worries. hope i could be of help.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Not sure if they are alluminum. Anyone know if ADR gt sports are aluminum? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Society

Is the noise coming from the rear, Becuase I just installed some aftermarket wheels and I heard a noise come from the rear tires when I would make a some what sharp turn. I spoke to a tire place and they said that the body was rolling just enough to make contact with the top of the tire. Granted I have large tires for our box, I think they 230-40s but I am not sure as I am not outside. They said that I could fix it with some spring supports but I have not done so yet. Hopefully I will be able to pick some up on Friday and get them put in. If it fixes my problem I will let you know.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Rion
You might want to remove that front swaybar.

Not only because of the noise, but because a stiffer front sway bar makes your car understeer more, which is great if you drive like grandma, but if you drive aggressively, it will actually dial in more understeer and force you to back off the speed into a turn.

Google understeer and you will see why a front sway bar is a bad idea, especially on a front engine, front wheel drive car. Companies will sell you anything as a "perfromance" part, doesn't mean it will actually improve performance...
thanks for the suggestion Rion. I did read up on the front sway bar thing.. after i had already installed it. i plan on putting the stock back in but it's a matter of convenience. although i don't drive like grandma (maybe grandpa re-living his youth), it's not a major performance concern yet. still, i plan on doing it when i have time and a lift.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Might try something simple and re-torque the lug nuts.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bad CV joints make a grinding, popping sound.

Bad cases sound like a baby rattle, the ones that are a plastic globe with beads in it

Can also sound like a low, grinding sound.

Check your CV joint boots to see if they are intact and still sealed. Possible during the wintertime one was damaged, and putting the new wheels on aggravated the problem??