Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Daughter is dying for an XB....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default Daughter is dying for an XB....

Our 18 year old daughter presently has a 96 saturn which she will be getting rid of to buy a new car. NOW, she wants a Scion XB..but with it being a new model (and us being of "mature" age ) we are leery for that fact. We had looked at the chevy cobalt and ford focus but she wants no part of them..lol. I have stumbled on your site and would like all the input I can get about the Scion. Let us hear the good and the bad!! We live in the Daytona Beach, FL area and will be getting quote soon..Please help!! Thanks..
Old 06-05-2005, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, I have an XB and we LOVED it! The car stock suspension is a little rough, fuel milage is ok, meet other fellow scion owners are so much fun, and we love the ways people stared at our car with funny look.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB is a new model in the US, but its been a model in Japan for years I think. So its not really "new". Hope that takes care of your concerns.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car has been in production for several years, so it is only new to North America. Over here, we have had the Echo, which the xB is based on. You can research on any autosite and find positive information telling you it is ok to buy one.
When my wife wanted a new car, there was no doubt that I felt comfortable putting her and my 3 year old in an xB. It is safe, economical, and built with quality. The Focus and the Cobalt are cheap cars and are built to stay that way. CHEAP. Lousy quality, poor safety, sad resale value.
I sell them, and I would buy another anytime. They are wonderful cars.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member

Default its great

hi there. i love the scion Xb. it has so many safety features and the stock Xb has alot of good things that come standard with it. ABS, Brake Assit, Brake Distribution Sys., Front driver and pass. Airbags, Traction Control, Vehical Stability Control, and Renforced sides with cross members.
Power locks, windows, side mirrors, keyless entry, rear privacy glass, a/c, 160 watt pionner AM/FM/CD/MP3 CD/SAT Radio(need to get SAT Antenna from dealer), 6 speaker sys.(stereo system comes out of a Lexus) 1.5L 4cyl. dual overhead cam engine w/ variable valve timing w/intelligence. 108 hp. 105 ft. lbs. torque. 31/35 mpg automatic, 31/34 mpg manual. 60/40 split rear fold down seats. over 52 acessories that you can put on to your Xb.
Check out scion's Pure Pricing and the Scion Promise when u go to the dealer. you'll be amazed. my friends and i have no complaints at all. we just love the never ending things that can be done to the Xb.
Hope this helps you out.
Aloha and Mahalo.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i have an xB.. i got it when i was 18... and i love it... saves on gas.. is very unique... everyone loves 'em, young and "older"... they have alot of space inside... and i can almost guarantee that u will also fall in love with it.. (my dad has)... good luck...
Old 06-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got mine at 17. im 18 right now. its a great car i absolutely love it! i highly recommend it!

this can be moved. not press or news. mods should move it.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:36 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi,
I am 45 and I'm dying for one too. I've read hours opon hours on this vehicle and can only find good things about it check out http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/scio...5.content..1.*
where it lists the xb as Editors most wanted vehicle, consumers most wanted vehicle and lowest true cost to own. Even though it has a small engine, it has a lot of pep to it. You'll have to test drive it to "get it." On paper it looks so weak. The only bad thing that I've read on these boards are the bad (weak) paint that toyota uses, chips and all. But I'm more concerned with reliability once my car and warranty is finished.
I've checked out the other cars you listed, sounds like she has done her homework, she knows Toyoto or ahem....Scion is the way to go. I'm waiting for the 2006....Liz
p.s. it's not a new model it's been in Japan for years as a Toyota bB
Old 06-05-2005, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I'm 19, bought my xb in February, and I am absolutely in love with the car. It is kind of lacking in power, but it stops on a dime, has a great turning radius, and contrary to what most people assume, it's really not top heavy, and actually handles really well. Not to mention toyota (scion) makes a great car and they stand firmly behind their products. A great choice for any younger person.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:42 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I always believe that to really take care of what you drive, you have to love what you drive. Like it's been said already the xB is just new to the states, but it's really not a "new" model. This is the second year for it being in the states. And the Scion community is close knit.

I have a tC and it's a solid car. I would imagine the xB is also. I've done a comparision with the cars you listed. The xB has better gas mileage and more room. However it is slower with a 1.5L engine and the turning circle is 36. Anyway here's the link.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmu...op=3&tab=specs

What color does she want? Keep us updated, please.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd wager that the xB will hold up a whole lot better over the years than a Cobalt or Focus.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:49 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job lil_LEX_24O, I'm totally impressed!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

mooooved! I almost bought a zx3 before I got my xA...good thing I didn't... :D
Old 06-05-2005, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member

I have had my scion since October. Bought offline, 7000.00 miles it, $15,000.00. Loaded (LOADED)with all options, including eighteens.
Took eighteens off and replaced with 16" wheels and tires.
I love it and use it everyday.

I work out of it. www.acedentremoval.com The back end is lettered up and the sides will be done this month.
I try to sell them to anyone looking for a new car. I talked acouple into the XA and 3 into the TC's. I should be a salesman for them.
The XB is my favorite but, takes a special person to buy it.
Once your in it, its hard to get out it.

I travel all over in mine and still have not bought the cruise control for it.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:03 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Yeah I thought about the Cobalt, but the dealer didn't even have one to look at. They advertised it sooo much here so I went to go check it out cause I like GM, but the guy said they weren't even in full production -- whatever that means.

Thanx hip2bsq. Good to know my work didn't go unoticed. I thought about posting the same link you did -- it took me a little while to type that stuff and get the comparison so a lot of peeps snuck in.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my daughter is 5 and told me she wants a xB when she turns 6, cause she'll be old enough to do grown up things. hope she won't be too dissapointed.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

valuewise, featurewise, its almost impossible to beat the xB. So long as she doesn't go crazy with the accessories (in fact, don't get them at the dealer, buy them aftermarket and install them yourself for much cheaper), dollar-for-dollar the xB is a better car. I'd say your daughter made a good choice, and probably did some research. Just look at all the awards it has won and how many top 10 lists it has made.

The only thing that can be a dealbreaker about the car is its looks. But if your daughter is fine with it, then there's no problem. You get a reliable toyota engine, that saves like crazy on gas (especially since you can use regular gas). It can be underpowered at times (like driving uphill with the a/c on), but it lessons the chances of speeding and keeps the insurance down. I"m pretty sure there's a low theft rate, and it cargo hauling capability is awesome (great for the college bound, which she probably is).

There are a few negatives of course, but it comes with the territory of any economy car.
Let's see:
Weak paint (scratches easily, pain for perfectionists)
Underpowered (you really won't notice it unless you are a speed demon or have the a/c on)
Rough suspension (once it settles it seems to ride better, but initially suspension is pretty rough, and has massive understeer. which might be a good thing since it forces you to take corners slowly)
Wind and road noise (sound proofing is thin, but so are other cars in its class, boxy shape increases wind noise at high speeds 60+, but nothing turning up the radio can't drown out. Talking with the windows open on the highway is impossible though)
Side winds are annoying (as you might imagine the xB is a little bit more susceptible to crosswinds, given high enough winds, you'll feel a little push. Keep your hands on the steering wheel).
Lack of back seat adjustments (but what can you really expect from a sub 20k car... I personally don't have a problem with it, but might be an issue for some who are used to the finer things in life.. you can also get one of those kimochi pillows, that'll fix everything)
No side curtain airbag option (dunno what the big deal is, but its something some people want. Whether its a big issue is up to you. Is the xB still safe without them? yes, crash tests scores are still good.. could it be safer? sure sure)
Rocks and bugs are a pain (more so with this car than any other, you help keep the bug population under control every time you drive.. the rocks making marks on your windshield though, that's annoying... be sure to get no deductible glass coverage, though in some states they must cover it under the law... teaches you not to tailgate too)
No trunk light (yeah that's one small oversight on toyota's part, pop lights at your local walmart or whatever are cheap fix)
Engine warm-up (yeah this is annoying... the engine stays cold for like a minute or 3, during which time you are supposed to be driving and taking it easy aka slow... really annoying those times when you are in a rush, but still trying to take care of your engine)
No cabin air filter (toyota took this out in later models, you can make yourself a pretty good one for 10$ or you can buy the official toyota one for around 25$)

anyhow that's about all I can think of... and I really reached for a few there. I dunno if I should go into all the good points of the car compared to others... there are many. The cobalt or the focus? no way. I would say if its safety you are worried about, the xB is just fine. You'd be spending much more just to get the same safety features VSC, ABS are standard in the price of the xB.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get it for her, she will love you for the room in the back seat
Old 06-05-2005, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm I guess I can't really post all these negatives about the xB and not post the positives:

1. Fuel economy (I easily get 30-34 mpg on my auto xB, it drops a little at speeds over 75+ to about 28 mpg and the engine takes regular gas)
2. Cargo Space (More than its competition)
3. Passenger roominess (except for the seat adjustments, the back seat is as comfortable to be in as the front, very roomy, your passengers will love you)
4. Awesome Stereo system (Pioneer!! You don't need to upgrade it, it sounds great and its standard!!)
5. VSC and ABS standard (keeps your car in control, accident prevention is better than accident protection)
6. Great Visibility aka command seating and Easy to read speedometer (you don't have to look down to read it)
7. Low cost to own (Scions have very very cheap parts compared to other cars, and are pretty easy to find since it shares parts with other cars [Echo and xA] , also doesn't cost much for maintenance, unless you go to the dealer)
8. Easy parallel parking (though I don't think FL has that problem like NY does)

Ok there's much more but I think I need to stop here. Bottom line is the xB is a solid car, especially for first time drivers/owners. In fact, with all its features, it'll spoil first time drivers/owners. You should definately read up on the xB and all the awards its won...

When we were shopping for a new car (eco class), we went to all the usual suspects (except Mazda and Honda, two of the best I know, but my parents don't like them, shrug). The xB was about $2k over what my parents wanted to spend. But sitting in it and test driving it convinced my asian parents to buy it outright. And if you know asian parents, that's no small feat.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It is a toyota. Enough said. Great car, and fun to drive. If it is too stiff of a ride, get the dealer shock/strut package, and that makes it a bit smoother. Fun to drive. Have 12,000 and my wife and I are on the mature side, but love it. Would rather be in it with its harsher ride than our other car Buick Century. Hope it works out for your daughter.

Quick Reply: Daughter is dying for an XB....