Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

dealer installed options

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member

Default dealer installed options

Maybe I'm just ignorant. There was an article in our paper today that talked about the label on all new cars for sale. The Monroney label. If it is a dealer-installed option, it has to be listed on a separate window sticker to let you know that the sunroof or stereo system or whatever upgrade did not come from the factory. That means the factory isn't going to be the one to warranty it, and the dealer is supposed to do that. Did you all know that? That any of the options you are having the dealer put on, from alarms to sunroofs to whatever are not warrantied by Scion but by the dealer? That would make me think twice about having anything installed by the dealer.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

What's the difference really? If Scion is backing the warranty, you would take it to the dealer to get fixed. If the dealer is backing it, you would take it to the dealer. Does it matter which pocket they pay it from?

Most of the TRD items are not warranted by Toyota, it's a TRD warranty.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

You have to keep in mind that the only thing the "factory" does is put the Scions together and slap steelies on them. Everything you add the the Scion is done at the dealer, nothing is done "from the factory". Example, If you add a TRD muffler, to keep the TRD warranty it has to be installed by a Toyota/Scion trained mechanic.. So the TRD parts are under the warranty of TRD :D .. I am not sure if I am making sense, this is a mouthfull to try to type. And if something goes wrong with the muffler and you had it installed by a Toyota dealership, you are safe, it is the dealers job to fix it.

Why would you think twice about having anything installed by the dealer :? , besides that they charge out the wazoo for labor
Old 06-12-2004, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member

I would think twice about having things installed by the dealer because I don't trust them! I think they would try very hard to get out of fixing something, particularily if it was a high cost item. I think they would say the problem was caused by something the driver did and therefore the warranty on the item would be void. It would then be up to the car owner to spend his time (and time is money) to prove it was not his fault and was that there was something wrong with the item. JUst my opinion. I would hate to have a lot of stuff on my car and have to keep t rack of who, in the end , is truly responsible if something goes wrong. Too many opportunities for each entity to pass the buck, again just my opinion and paranoia!!
Old 06-12-2004, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by vickie
I think they would say the problem was caused by something the driver did and therefore the warranty on the item would be void. It would then be up to the car owner to spend his time (and time is money) to prove it was not his fault and was that there was something wrong with the item.
That is when I through it down in the showroom :D and makesure they never make that mistake again
Old 06-12-2004, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I can never understand where some people get these ideas about dealers and warranty. A dealer would warranty anything they possibly can because they get paid to do so. Do you think the dealer pays any cost of warranty? No, it's either Toyota or the port. The dealer, contrary to some naive beliefs, is not trying to slide it in your backside at every opportunity. They try to satisfy customers or they would have no customers. Salesmen, on the other hand, are salesmen and I will refrain comment on them. Dealers are not out to trick customers or screw you when it comes to warranty and you should never hesitate to ask about any problem you have and would warranty cover it. You would be surprised at some of the things that get warrantied. It should also come as no surprise that warranty does not cover maintainance items, normal wear items or collision damage. Some people hesitate to modify their cars for fear of "voiding their warranty" There is no such thing as voiding a warranty and I don't know how you could do that if you wanted to. When you arrive for service, the service writer will write up your repair order and couldn't give 2 ____s about what mods are on your car. Then the technicion working on your car gets it and he gets paid to fix it. Do you think he will pass up the work? Very rarely will a problem not be covered because of a modification, because the point some are missing is not that the owner would have to prove a mod didn't cause a problem, but the dealer would have to prove that it did. Most issues aren't worth the hassle and dealers aren't in business to ____ off customers so it makes better sense to just fix it and get on down the road. The moral of this story is most dealers are not complete _______s and if you don't walk in the door treating them like they are complete _______s, you might be surprised at how accommodating they can really be.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~scott
Old 06-13-2004, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
I can never understand where some people get these ideas about dealers and warranty. A dealer would warranty anything they possibly can because they get paid to do so. Do you think the dealer pays any cost of warranty? No, it's either Toyota or the port. The dealer, contrary to some naive beliefs, is not trying to slide it in your backside at every opportunity. They try to satisfy customers or they would have no customers. Salesmen, on the other hand, are salesmen and I will refrain comment on them. Dealers are not out to trick customers or screw you when it comes to warranty and you should never hesitate to ask about any problem you have and would warranty cover it. You would be surprised at some of the things that get warrantied. It should also come as no surprise that warranty does not cover maintainance items, normal wear items or collision damage. Some people hesitate to modify their cars for fear of "voiding their warranty" There is no such thing as voiding a warranty and I don't know how you could do that if you wanted to. When you arrive for service, the service writer will write up your repair order and couldn't give 2 ____s about what mods are on your car. Then the technicion working on your car gets it and he gets paid to fix it. Do you think he will pass up the work? Very rarely will a problem not be covered because of a modification, because the point some are missing is not that the owner would have to prove a mod didn't cause a problem, but the dealer would have to prove that it did. Most issues aren't worth the hassle and dealers aren't in business to ____ off customers so it makes better sense to just fix it and get on down the road. The moral of this story is most dealers are not complete _______s and if you don't walk in the door treating them like they are complete _______s, you might be surprised at how accommodating they can really be.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~scott
Maybe that's how it works in fantasy land. Dealerships want to void warranties so they can make profit on the parts and service from their "customer". Are you trying to tell use that you simply give Toyota the exact same bill you do Joe Blow when he comes in for service? Not only that, you can't trick Toyota into buying unnesessary services and parts like you can your "customers".

As for the dealer installed parts carrying a dealer warranty, good luck. Anything problems the Toyota warranty covers can be fixed any Toyota dealership. And when you do get hassled, you can work your way up the chain of command. The dealership? No such luck.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member

Thank you iZero. That is exactly how I see it. Dealer warranty on dealer installed stuff, be careful!
Old 06-13-2004, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Maybe you two Einsteins can enlighten a feeble old fart like myself. How does a dealer "void a warranty"? Now if its aftermarket parts you are referring to, they are warranted by the installer. A dealer doesn't usually install anything but Toyota or Port accessories, and they carry the standard warranty and I don't see how it could be "voided". I don't know of your past experiences (if any) with a dealership, but I have a little dealership experience and I think you both do indeed sound ignorant. just my .02
Old 06-13-2004, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member

I think calling people ignorant is ridiculous. Back in my post I stated that it was my opinion. I was refering to an article I had read and what I thought, my opinion. I went back and read some of your prior posts. You have a tendency to name call and down grade people who don't share your opinions, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. For a self described "old fart" you are immature. I'm done with this.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default WOW

Originally Posted by iZero
Maybe that's how it works in fantasy land. Dealerships want to void warranties so they can make profit on the parts and service from their "customer". Are you trying to tell use that you simply give Toyota the exact same bill you do Joe Blow when he comes in for service? Not only that, you can't trick Toyota into buying unnesessary services and parts like you can your "customers".

As for the dealer installed parts carrying a dealer warranty, good luck. Anything problems the Toyota warranty covers can be fixed any Toyota dealership. And when you do get hassled, you can work your way up the chain of command. The dealership? No such luck.
WOW

You two (iZero & Vicki) must have REALLY been abused by a Toyota dealer somewhere in the past or a past life. If I can help, in any way, to help you heal from this obvious trauma you have suffered, please let me know.

Which car was it, from your past, that drove you to a bad service experience? Was it more than one car? More than one dealership? Tell us all about it.

(GROUP HUG)

J/K

Are dealers the lowest priced service option? No. But they are not there to look for loopholes in order to invalidate your warranty. Never have been. Not only do they rely (HEAVILY) on warranty revenues, they also get graded by the manufacture on their role in the CSI (customer satisfaction).

Also, for every person that doesn't take their car to the dealer for non-warranty service there is one or two that do. Where most cars on the road are OUTSIDE the factory warranty this makes for a big enough opportunity for the dealer to capitalize on so that victimizing people (the ones they are trying to build brand loyalty with) is really not necessary or smart.

Okay, I see our hour is up. Please think about this and we'll talk again real soon!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suggest you all take a look at this thread:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...er=asc&start=0

Note the actual replies salespeople and service techs are posting in it.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default WOW! I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by iZero
I suggest you all take a look at this thread:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...er=asc&start=0

Note the actual replies salespeople and service techs are posting in it.
NOT.

So you're going to base your opinion, of all service departments, on some hearsay stories regarding ONE issue where the customer is ACTUALLY being taken care of UNDER WARRANTY?

You don't get a rental under warranty and, if the service writer did say anything about voiding warranty, he WAS DEFINITELY off-base.