Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

DIY-Hella Horn Installation - 2nd Set Installed w/Pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

#1 - look at & read my first post on where i installed it and how.

#2 - the kit from Hella comes with: 2 horns, relay. The things you need are bols + nuts to mount them, a drill to make the mounting holes, 10 or 12 guage (i used 12 guage)wire), connectors and some other electrical related things.

Also you need a socket set to remove the front bumper. if you read my 1st post, it has links to other install docs which list everything you need!

I had an electrical tool set/kit that I bought for $20 a while back. it has all the connectors, crimper, etc that you need for this installation. THis is what I used. you can get a set like this at your local auto parts store.
- sh00k
Old 09-01-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stupid Ernesto.... =/ I was going to install my second set of Hella Horns on my xB tomorrow (saturday) morning but it's going to be raining here in nyc all day... so this will have to wait til maybe next week.... =(

In the meantime, I've thrown together the diagram of how the 2 sets of horns SHOULD BE wired... I am not an electrical person but I drew this up because i THINK this is all i need... please feel free to give me input on if this looks right or not ;] i appreciate it!
- sh00k

Old 09-02-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
In the meantime, I've thrown together the diagram of how the 2 sets of horns SHOULD BE wired... I am not an electrical person but I drew this up because i THINK this is all i need... please feel free to give me input on if this looks right or not ;] i appreciate it!
-]
I *LIKE* it! You coulda run just one wire and one fuse from the battery to both relays, but the way you have it is better -- redundancy is GOOD!

BUT (you knew there was going to be a "but" didn't you? ;^) one thing: Those wires labeled "Stock wires to horn" are connected to the same electrical connection, right?

If they are, you're good to go . . . if not, you have one set of horns controlled by the stock horns and the other set of horns connected to . . . ground.

Yeah, I know -- picky, picky.

I'm just trying to make sure its clear . . . .
Old 09-02-2006, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pooder
-]
I *LIKE* it! You coulda run just one wire and one fuse from the battery to both relays, but the way you have it is better -- redundancy is GOOD!

BUT (you knew there was going to be a "but" didn't you? ;^) one thing: Those wires labeled "Stock wires to horn" are connected to the same electrical connection, right?

If they are, you're good to go . . . if not, you have one set of horns controlled by the stock horns and the other set of horns connected to . . . ground.

Yeah, I know -- picky, picky.

I'm just trying to make sure its clear . . . .
Pooder - thank you for the response! #1 - yeah, I was thinking of using the same fused wire to connect to the battery but it wouldnt hurt to be safe. #2 - the wires labelled "stock horn wires" are the 2 positive wires that control the stock xb horns - which there are 2 of (a high and a low) I figure I will use one of these wires to conect to 1 relay, and then 1 wire to the other relay. they are all controlled by the stock horn button on the steering wheel so i'll be set. it's almost as though scion wanted us to upgrade to these louder horns! hahaha ;]

enjoy our weekend and thank you once again,
- sh00k
Old 09-03-2006, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a video clip ASAP. i wanna see this beast in action!
Old 09-04-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh my! maybe i dont need a train horn after all
Old 09-04-2006, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

muhhahahha! i installed the 2nd set last night - and i could not be more happy. i was on a 10-lane road here in nyc (queens blvd) and i honked and held it for about 2 seconds. when i let off the horn... I HEARD THE HORN ECHO BACK FROM THE SURROUNDING BUILDINGS! i am really happy with the sound and the volume! if u are standing by the drivers door and honk the horn, you get ringing in your ears! and thats when you're behind the horns! hahaha

pic of front - bottom portion of the bumper removed. i also removed the stock horns so now i am just using these 2 sets of hells horns ;]

this is a pic of my xB with the grill removed. the stock grill would not fit over these 4 horns. after removing some of the "backing" off the grill, the grill now fits over these horns perfectly - like it was just meant to be... ;]

this is how i drive around! hahaha!

i would take a video but it doesnt do the horns justice. if anyone reading this is in the nyc/queens area, feel free to gimme a shout! we can meet up and i can make you deaf at no cost! jk!

the installation was a piece of cake. mounting the horns was also a piece of cake. the only other bit of info is to make sure you label all the bolts you remove when ur taking the bottom portion of the xB nose off!

;]
- sh00k
Old 09-04-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the wires labelled "stock horn wires" are the 2 positive wires that control the stock xb horns - which there are 2 of (a high and a low) I figure I will use one of these wires to conect to 1 relay, and then 1 wire to the other relay. they are all controlled by the stock horn button on the steering wheel so i'll be set. it's almost as though scion wanted us to upgrade to these louder horns! hahaha ;]
PERFECT! Enjoy your LOUDer xB!!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you my friend can put the MTA trains to shame!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

i call for a sound clip!!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno... looks like you could squeeze another pair in there... lol.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you hit your horn accidentally in NYC you're gonna give someone a heart attack!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 13edge
I dunno... looks like you could squeeze another pair in there... lol.
HAHAHAHA! absolutely - there is space for another horn... the sets that i have are the 118db (per 2 horns) set... i figure if i do go for a 3rd set (which would be utterly insane), why not go nucking futs? my 3rd set would be 138 decibel or more... no one expects that outta a lil ol' box! l0l!

about the sound clip - before i got my set, i heard other sound clips from other sites and i was so nervous because it didnt sound like it was loud. I said in a previous post, if anyone here in in manhattan or queens (or even Long Island) I wouldn't mind driving or meeting somewhere so they can hear it... when im standing outside the drivers door and honk the horn, i get ringing in my ears and i'm behind the suckers!!! these things are SOOOO loud! having the stock grill on them sucks because there is no air flow so most of the horn sound gets stuck in the engine compartment and when im driving, it comes into the cabin area. with the stock grill off, the sound goes forward! ;]

LOL @ hittin' the horn by accident... in time square, my cousin was in the passenger seat, and saw a cute girl crossing. he honked and dude... she jumped and then stopped dead in her tracks as her friends started laughing at her... AND THAT WAS ONLY WHEN I HAD 1 SET ON.......

:-X

Funny story - I pulled up to a friends house and he came running out, stood in front of the car and goes "ARE THOSE SPEAKERS?!?!?!?!?!?" hahahahahahahahahhaa! ;]
- sh00k
Old 09-06-2006, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's just nuts. I see a new fad coming around the corner.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rosskoss
No doubt. The more I read it, the more I liked it. Performance can wait. I want to induce migraines.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rosskoss
No doubt. The more I read it, the more I liked it. Performance can wait. I want to induce migraines.
WELCOME to the club, my good friend

I got this horn to bother some idiots on the road. here in nyc, there are people who "half assed park" on single lane streets. half assed parking is where a car pulls into a huge spot but leaves the car half out into the street so you have to slow down and go past it... Courtesy is all I ask for since I show it when I drive. If you are pulling into a spot, and you are going to sit in the car, why leave it half out into the street? i've even seen some people DOUBLE PARK next to open spots!!!! wtf?!?!?

This is for them. Join my crusade - I call it the Taskforce Against A$$hole Drivers - or TAAD for short! lol
- sh00k

ps - jk about the taskforce - duh hahhaa
Old 09-06-2006, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't you get tickets in NYC for blasting your horn?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't gotten any tickets so far and I've seen many cops around and I am sure they've seen my horns. If anything, I'm going to tell them that I use them on the highway -what they're made for. The description says that they're for use when you are on the highway, and for example, a big rig decides to change lanes and you want them to know that you're in the way. If I get pulled over, I'll tell a cop that I only use it on the highway and when i want to honk at someone off of the highway, i typically flicker my high beams on and off...

I'm knocking on compressed wood. I have gotten so many stares from people on the oncoming traffic side... even from a couple of other xB drivers! lol! now when i honk when i see another xB, people just laugh or smile or look at me like i have a trumpet coming out of my head! haha!
- sh00k
Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WELCOME to the club, my good friend

I got this horn to bother some idiots on the road. here in nyc, there are people who "half assed park" on single lane streets. half assed parking is where a car pulls into a huge spot but leaves the car half out into the street so you have to slow down and go past it
lmao... You don't have to tell me. I grew up in Ozone Park and went to school and worked in Brooklyn. You need a mega horn in NYC just for the taxis. Their ears are calibrated to block out normal decibels. I bet any NYC driver can be a good cabbie, because you have to be able to spot the fares too, so you know when the cab is gonna cross two lanes and stop on a dime in less than 20 feet.

You know when I wish I had those horns? When I used to commute down Atlantic Avenue and all those windshield washer squeegee guys would mob your car at a red light.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know when I wish I had those horns? When I used to commute down Atlantic Avenue and all those windshield washer squeegee guys would mob your car at a red light.
LOL - that's so mean... I would never honk at a person - just cars that cut me off, are double parked far from the side, cars half in driveways, people on cellphones, lane wander-ers (lol), kitty cats and birdies in the streets (meaning that are in my way and are about to die-lol) etc. It hurts honking from outside the driver door, I dont want to imagine what it'd be like honking at someone maybe 15-20 feet from my front bumper... ouch =(
- sh00k

Quick Reply: DIY-Hella Horn Installation - 2nd Set Installed w/Pics!!