Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

DIY-Hella Horn Installation - 2nd Set Installed w/Pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO - yesterday.... I was on a 2 way road, 1 lane on each side. someone was double parked so i steered around them - basically had the nose of my xB pointing at the other lane/sidewalk....

As I had the wheel turned in that direction, I accidentally (no seriously) honked and heard like 3 people scream out loud.... I looked over at the other sidewalk, and there was like a family staring at me! lol!!!

i did NOT do that on purpose! good lord these things are loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- sh00k
Old 10-16-2006, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member

Hey midtown.. after reading your post (great one btw), I'm thinking I need some serious firepower under the hood.. at least in decibels. Driving around LA, I want something besides the stock horn (beep-beep like the Road Runner) to tell people they're driving like crap. Hella Horns sound good (at least on paper)... my question - are they the same tone (of "beep-beep") only louder, or do they not sound like a traditional import car horn? I'm looking for a horn that has some ballzzzzz. ;)
Old 10-16-2006, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

I am ordering some, thanks for the info !!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tossed a pair on my tC and I'm in love. Be warned though, gone are the days of casually beeping at your neighbors to say "hi!". I was rounding a corner and saw my neighbor weeding, I "beeped" (or blasted)... never saw the old lady move that fast in my life.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DivisionbyZero
I tossed a pair on my tC and I'm in love. Be warned though, gone are the days of casually beeping at your neighbors to say "hi!". I was rounding a corner and saw my neighbor weeding, I "beeped" (or blasted)... never saw the old lady move that fast in my life.
HAHAHAHHAHAHA im laughing so hard hahaha
Old 11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned
SL Member

Has anyone recieved a coupon code for Turck Customizers?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

omg this has to be the funniest thread i have ever read seriously. I am now in the mood to buy four too lol :/ but ima try my luck with two then gradually increase... i been looking for places to buy them at and now that you pointed out a site i will for sure get them ... haha
Old 11-16-2006, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member

Anyone ever see Mother, Jugs & Speed with Bill Cosby, Racquel Welch, and Harvey Keitel? Guess which character Racquel played?

P.S. Midtowndesi, don't honk at nuns--you'll go to hell for it.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by south305boy
omg this has to be the funniest thread i have ever read seriously. I am now in the mood to buy four too lol :/ but ima try my luck with two then gradually increase... i been looking for places to buy them at and now that you pointed out a site i will for sure get them ... haha
Brother,

If you knew the type of **** that people do here in nyc (double park on single lane roads, NEXT TO AN AVAILABLE SPOT!), drive slow as fack, stopping for no apparent reason, take forever to turn when you're waiting behind them, etc...

To be rather frank, I'm a good/nice/corteous driver but I go nucking futs when people do that sorta stuff. the new thing that's really been grinding my gears is people who drive with really really bright lights/high beams on... No problem... as they're coming from the opposite direction, i slow down, turn my xb towards them, give them the high beam and i hold the horn for a few seconds.... when you are standing 30 feet away, and i honk for exactly 1 second - your ears start ringing. and im saying this from experience. imagine how loud it must be when you're 3-10 feet from the other car? i've had peple nearly **** their pants and stop when they hear that. Maybe they'll get the idea theres something wrong....?

My goal is to have the most offensive car on the road. I am working on a solution (a better one) to the high beam problem...

I am going to take two 3,000,000 candle-power halogen spotlights and turning them into "fog" or better yet - "a$$hole" lights. They can blind me but i'll do 1 better.

I am a reasonable person and think my proposed solution is pretty over the top... I may not do it... I think the horns are good enough for now. ;]

and about the sound - it's still a "beep beep" sound - not like a semi-truck by any means. but it's the volume that wakes people the ____ up. I've had people scream when i've honked at them. 1 set was great and 2 is crazy. Truck horns are awesome but they leave a huge hole in your pocket. my $125 alternative rocks your socks.
- sh00k
Old 11-17-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just ordered my Hella's...shoudl be in soon, i was looking at a aluminum billet grille, that may work with the horns behind the grille, wont muffle it.....although I still want those Hornblasters train horn...
Old 11-17-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the billet grills may let out the horn sounds, but they will let in a ton of noise into the cabin. I am now considering relocating the horns to the "1st mesh area" directly beneath the headlights... that area is small so some of the horn will be covered but the important part - which is the center part of the horns - will be exposed.

i just hope the parts that are covered won't bounce off the bumper and come back into the cabin... the sound is crazy when it bounces back....
- sh00k
Old 11-17-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by richdog
Buy an aftermarket mesh grille that is open in front.....problem solved
But another problem created -- the engine will get dirty. With an open grill and no radiator in front of it, dirty road spray (and salt where I live) will quickly cover the front and top of the engine, and get all over the engine compartment.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok, so then where would be the most "sound effective" place to relocate the Hella's to, if not gonna replace the grille with a billet. (never thought of the dirty engine, or the cabin noise...not like our toasters are all that quiet inside anyways!!!) Ive got fog lights, so I cant mt them in those ports.....and the wiring harness on the left horn is so bloody short.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member

138 isn't bad, 152db train horn is alot better.

You should see the people jump when that sound comes out of my box.

he he he he
Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dwatts5250
Ok, so then where would be the most "sound effective" place to relocate the Hella's to, if not gonna replace the grille with a billet. (never thought of the dirty engine, or the cabin noise...not like our toasters are all that quiet inside anyways!!!) Ive got fog lights, so I cant mt them in those ports.....and the wiring harness on the left horn is so bloody short.
Very good question. I honestly have not found a good place to put the hellas in a way that they're still 100% effective. I thought about putting them behind the "mesh" looking grill (below the headlights) but that will block off too much of the surface of the horn. The result? When you honk, you will get sound stuck in the engine compartment and it will definitely be louder in your cabin as you honk =(

I can't think of a place to mount them so they would be effective.... which sucks... so, for right now, when I use the car on local roads here in new york city, i take the grill off, when i park the car, i put it back on. I simply slide the grill into the "groves" that help secure it and i don't put any fasteners in. Sometimes if i do highway driving, i do put 1 fastener in so the grill doesnt fall off.

Another thing I noticed is when you do mount the horns, mount them in a way so they are stable as all hell - make sure there is no play in them - meaning - make sure they don't sway side to side, or back and forward, etc. one of my horns got loose and when i honked it sounded terrible. When i tightened the bolts holding it together, good lord dude, it was a night and day difference. ;]

hth you bada$$es ;]
- sh00k
Old 11-20-2006, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My Hella's just got to the shop. Nice and round and birhgt Orange. Does anyone know, is the relay a required item....does it affect anything if it isnt installed? Will it cause any damage if not put in?
Im thinking of machining a aluminum bracket or bar on which to mount both horns, that can be mounted on the core support behind the grill, or lower...we'll see.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been having this problem since I installed the horns - it's nothing big. Every couple of weeks or so, I will check on the horns and I notice that they move side to side - meaning that my bolts are getting loose. this is due to road vibration not to mention the vibration when you are honking - these things seriously shake.

When I tightened the horns back up, i notice the sound so much stronger and much louder than when the horns are loose.

So, knowing this, I don't think i'm going to move my horns to any other location. it's a pain putting the grill on and off, but the location is the best one that I have come across. If i move the horns to the grill area by the license plate, they aer going to be a little lose (since they're not going to be mounted to sturdy metal) so that would totally suck.

I hope this helps anyone decide where to mount the horns.
- sh00k
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
I've been having this problem since I installed the horns - it's nothing big. Every couple of weeks or so, I will check on the horns and I notice that they move side to side - meaning that my bolts are getting loose. this is due to road vibration not to mention the vibration when you are honking - these things seriously shake.
Loctite. BLUE Loctite. Or red, if you REALLY want them to stay and don't mind heating the bolts to remove 'em
Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dwatts5250
My Hella's just got to the shop. Nice and round and birhgt Orange. Does anyone know, is the relay a required item....does it affect anything if it isnt installed? Will it cause any damage if not put in?
That depends. How's THAT for a definitive answer? OK The problems you might have depend on how much current your new horns draw and if you're keeping the stock ones; probably just a blown fuse. Me? I always put in a relay. As long as I'm doing it, adding a relay isn't a lot of extra work and then it's done RIGHT. That way I don't worry about it, and I can run a huge wire from the battery, through a fuse, to the relay, and to the horns. That gets MAX current to the horns and and MAX volume out. The point of the new horns, right?

I actually should rip the front end of my xBox apart and run heavier wires to the stock horns too. That would make everything happier and get the max volume from all the horns it's got. But I'm a lazy b@st@rd, so it probably won't happen. Oh well; it's not really necessary and it looks like pulling the bumper and all is a pain in the butt.....
Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ LOL, agreed - pulling the bumper is a pain! not that it's tough but it's just the hassle of getting all the 9 or 10 bolts off... i actually scratched my front bumper - right about where it meets the headlights - when i was pulling it off to install the horns (both times)... now that i am keeping my horns in place, i dont have to worry about the scratch getting worse... ;]]]]

thanks for the tip on the loctite - i may pick up a tube this weekend and make sure those suckers dont budge!
- sh00k

Quick Reply: DIY-Hella Horn Installation - 2nd Set Installed w/Pics!!