Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Does this happen to you? (Cruise Control issue...)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Does this happen to you? (Cruise Control issue...)

So I drove up to PA from NC and then back over Christmas and the cruise control was all over the place.

Granted I think a lot of it had to do with the mountainous terrain in the WV/VA region, but even still...it was all over the place and very annoying...

For instance, I would set the cruise control at around 74 (speed limit was 70). When going down a hill it was all good, sticking around the appropriate speed, but anytime it would start to incline, it would jump up over 80, sometimes to around 82 or so...at that point I would have to push the button to coast and reset the cruise speed back to 74.

It did this pretty much the entire time whenever there were hills. Going up it was like in overdrive or something.

I'm guessing it's just an issue with the xB's limited horsepower and the overall cheapness of the dealer installed cruise control option...

But anyways, has anyone else noticed this or anything like it?

Oh, and do you notice that your steering wheel shimmies and rattles around 80mph? LOL
Old 12-27-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could have something to do with the fact cruise control is an aftermarket controler and not really designed into the cars throttle controls. drivin my car up over 90 and have never noticed any rattling or shaking, could be some steering or suspension issue if your getting speed wobble or something
Old 12-27-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, basically 80 and up feels like the car wants to fall apart haha.

It's basically a consistent vibration in the wheel...nothing wild or anything that pulls the car in one direction or another, mostly just a consistent vibration that is noticed...

It does have Tanabe springs on it, so it sits very low...might have something to do with it. I guess during the next oil change that it's due for I can have the tech look into it.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB
It does have Tanabe springs on it, so it sits very low...might have something to do with it. I guess during the next oil change that it's due for I can have the tech look into it.
If you haven't had an alignment - get one

If you have wheels without hubcentric rings, pick some up and get them installed.
Search the forums as there are numerous posts about shaking/vibrating steering wheels.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had the same problems since I lowered my XB. Get an alignment and rotate/balance your tires often.

Lowering the XB seems to make it more sensitive to any minor issues with alignment and balance.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I just have a problem with the cheap cruise buttons getting jammed
Old 12-28-2006, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member

So would you recommend that I lower mine. Not sure about lowering it with the snow we get here.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

they are telling you to get it aligned and the wheels balanced and rotated
Old 12-28-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya...sounds basically like I need a balence and rotation, and possibly those hub-centric ring thingamabobs...

It's due for an oil change, so I'll take it to the shop and have them check the wheels to see if it needs those rings when I have them do the rotation and alignment...

Fun stuff!

Sounds like lots of $$ hahaha.

Thanks tho, I'm glad it's more along the lines of something I can fix, rather than the car just rattling like crazy because it can't handle the speed lol
Old 12-28-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

And, the cruise control blows also
Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya...considering the fact the cruise control **** is in quite possibly the worst position it could be (poking your leg) I wouldn't expect it to be top notch...
Old 12-28-2006, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I wish we could have gotten the one thats in every other toyota, why does it have to be a dealer only option anyway?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I installed mine and bought the RF controls that mount on the steering wheel.

My speed moves a little, but not like that. you might want to check the slack in your cruise cable and throttle cable. If there is too much you will have a problem.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What dugzillaxb said. Check the slack in your cruise and throttle cables. I know it's a radical suggestion, but you could try seeing how your cruise control performs at lower speeds...
Old 12-28-2006, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member

My XB was vibrating too. I got a balance and rotation, but it didn't fix the problem. I finally asked Firestone to recheck the tires for any possiblity of "out of round". Sure enough, the tires were defective. Two of them were not perfectly round (They had flat spots). Despite only having 15K on my box, I had to buy new tires. (Toyota wouldn't replace even under warranty). At least tires for the XB are cheap. ($325 for four). Now it rides smooth as silk.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Does this happen to you? (Cruise Control issue...)

Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB
... the cruise control was all over the place.... I think a lot of it had to do with the mountainous terrain in the WV/VA region... I'm guessing it's just an issue with the xB's limited horsepower and the overall cheapness of the dealer installed cruise control option...... and do you notice that your steering wheel shimmies and rattles around 80mph?
I have a Rostra cruise control. I am 6'-1" so I had the stalk positioned out of the way of my knee. I took a 2500-mile trip through the mountains of PA, NY and VT, and the cruise control worked perfectly. And at 80 mph, my steering wheel is steady and the whole car is glass smooth.
You may need your cruise control adjusted, and your wheel aligned and balanced.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:03 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

My cruise control is all over the place and rarly even keeps a constant MPH range. In the 85000 miles ive driven..ive probably only used it 5000, probably less. it sucks. as for high speed, i have no issues. I have stock every thing, 15 inch steelies but larger tires, sidewalls. ive driven at 100 and felt stable
Old 12-29-2006, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine seems to stay where I set it but it will waver on big hills simply due to the limited power of our engines. The thing loves to hit 5k rpm when the cruise kicks the throttle in on a big hill.

No shimmy or shakes on mine at 80mph+. But I don't have Firestone. Mine came factory with Japanese Goodyear Eagle's.

I like the cruise overall but do agree they could have picked a better location for the unit. Something about a turn signal looking stim hanging out in roughly the area the turn signal switch is at bothers me. I can see the possibility that someone goes to drive the car and grabs that thinking it's a turn signal, then yanking it off the column trying to get the turn signal on.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Goodyear Eagles. 20,000 miles and their toast.

I installed my cruise a little higher to prevent bumping it with my knee. It makes it a little harder to see, but after some time, you know the controls and you don't even look at it.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iKevin
... I like the cruise overall but do agree they could have picked a better location for the unit....
Who is "they"? Scion did not equip their little bB city car with cruise control. Rostra made one for the xB to satisfy the U.S. market.
We both have the same cruise control. After about a year of familiarity with the steering column and dashboard, I can't suggest a better place for the cruise control stalk. Can you, or anyone else, figure out some better place that Rostra might have put it?

Quick Reply: Does this happen to you? (Cruise Control issue...)