Does a spoiler lower gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itsmethemagicz
very good analysis.

i do know one thing, that all the hicks that drive down the interstate with their tailgate down (while dip cans are flying out) for "errdynamits" are wrong. when you ride with your tailgate down the wind hits the tailgate after it goes over the roof and puts a tremendous amount of downforce on the back which lowers gas mileage. when you leave it up, the wind hits the tailgate and loops around in a circe giving a steady stream. not relevant to the xb, but interesting nonetheless.
I heard years ago the tailgate theory was actually tested at a wind tunnel facility at Arnold Engineering in Tennessee. Legend has it that the lowered tailgate does reduce drag. But, who knows? The facility isn't that far from Jack Daniels' place!

Hear's a piece of engineering marvel I found on Top Gear. www.ejstreasures.com/main.jpg
Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For our toasters being nothing but a box, their drag coefficient isn't as bad as one would think 0.35Cd.
Take a look at some cars that I wouldn't have thought would be draggy

0.36 - Eagle Talon, mid-1990s
0.36 - Honda Civic, 2001
0.36 - Ferrari Testarossa, 1986
0.33 - Subaru Impreza WRX STi, 2004
0.38 - Mazda Miata, 1989

Being Boxy aint all that bad =)

Info gotten from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient
http://reviews.cnet.com/2005_Scion_x...-31352563.html
Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for all your help on this topic.

I was wondering if there was really any reason other then cosmetics to get a spoiler.

I was planning on doing a more sporty look with the spoiler , the windflectors with my gun metal color wheels.

Now don't flame me, but the other look I was going for is the more rugged looked with a roofrack that I know will cause a decrease in gas mileage. I will still have my gun metal color wheels and maybe the sporttrek roof rack to make it look more like a Subaru Forrester type of car

Thanks again
Knight
Old 01-30-2007, 03:54 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by smokeydog001
Originally Posted by itsmethemagicz
very good analysis.

i do know one thing, that all the hicks that drive down the interstate with their tailgate down (while dip cans are flying out) for "errdynamits" are wrong. when you ride with your tailgate down the wind hits the tailgate after it goes over the roof and puts a tremendous amount of downforce on the back which lowers gas mileage. when you leave it up, the wind hits the tailgate and loops around in a circe giving a steady stream. not relevant to the xb, but interesting nonetheless.
I heard years ago the tailgate theory was actually tested at a wind tunnel facility at Arnold Engineering in Tennessee. Legend has it that the lowered tailgate does reduce drag. But, who knows? The facility isn't that far from Jack Daniels' place!

Hear's a piece of engineering marvel I found on Top Gear. www.ejstreasures.com/main.jpg
does no one watch mythbusters?? they made TWO.. yes TWO episodes about it..

tailgate down is by faaaar the worst.... causes major draaaaaaag.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess the bottom line is: do you trust crack or Jack?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by knightlife
I was wondering if there was really any reason other then cosmetics to get a spoiler.
SOITANLY! It helps keep the back window clean!!

At least, that's how I justified it to my wife (and it might even be true ;^)
Old 01-30-2007, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pooder
Originally Posted by knightlife
SOITANLY! It helps keep the back window clean!!

At least, that's how I justified it to my wife (and it might even be true ;^)
Yeah, mine thinks the AC runs better because of the CAI! We do what we can.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PakanaHerruus
the rear spoiler was designed to help keep the tires on the ground to help with traction.. mainly for rearwheel drive vehicles.. really makes no sense having them on on front wheel drive vehicles.. thats why i laugh when i see these little honda civics with these giant aluminum spoilers.. its all cosmetic poop.. reason i didnt order one with my xb..

So, wings don't work on MR cars? Why wouldn't a wing work on a FF car? please do explain. Cuz I removed my OEM wing from my old MX-6 and it was squirrly on the highway. true, they may look silly in excess on a street Haonda or any car for that matter. But in general, a wing on any car will stabilize the car a bit, FF, FR or MR. Even my xB is a bit more steady on windy days with my gigantic, ricer useless on an FF car wing.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
Originally Posted by PakanaHerruus
the rear spoiler was designed to help keep the tires on the ground to help with traction.. mainly for rearwheel drive vehicles.. really makes no sense having them on on front wheel drive vehicles.. thats why i laugh when i see these little honda civics with these giant aluminum spoilers.. its all cosmetic poop.. reason i didnt order one with my xb..

So, wings don't work on MR cars? Why wouldn't a wing work on a FF car? please do explain. Cuz I removed my OEM wing from my old MX-6 and it was squirrly on the highway. true, they may look silly in excess on a street Haonda or any car for that matter. But in general, a wing on any car will stabilize the car a bit, FF, FR or MR. Even my xB is a bit more steady on windy days with my gigantic, ricer useless on an FF car wing.
alot of people dont get it though. they see other cars with spoilers, think they look cool and get one for their car
Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
...if they only knew as well how much more body damage their truck will take if rearended with the gate down than with it up...
Like, my 1991 Mazda truck was rearended by a Mazda 626. The front of the car was pushed in and the hood buckled up. My bumper, trailer hitch and the panel under the tailgate were messed up. My tailgate was untouched.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by TerribleTed
...if they only knew as well how much more body damage their truck will take if rearended with the gate down than with it up...
Like, my 1991 Mazda truck was rearended by a Mazda 626. The front of the car was pushed in and the hood buckled up. My bumper, trailer hitch and the panel under the tailgate were messed up. My tailgate was untouched.
When the tailgate is down it goes forward when it gets hit. Ripping out both hinges, twisting the rear corner posts and likely damaging both bedsides, Of course it destroys the gate. All this hard to fix stuff for a minor hit that would have likely only damaged the bumper itself had the gate been up. gets worse with a hard hit because then the gate flys around and the bumper etc are still impacted.