Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Dragon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Default Dragon Intake

Anyone seen the Dragon Intakes they offer on ebay? Are they any good, also, this is the first time i've heard of foam filters with oil. Any ideas on its reliability? Thanks guys. :D

Been thinking of getting an Injen Intake but I saw that Dragon one, so thought of asking here first before buying it. Thanks to the guys on the other forum on Injen for the great info.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heya...I think Weapon R makes the Dragon intake....here's a link to a previous post that might help.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=weapon+r

Typically I stay out of the "better intake" threads.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Thanks. Sorry, didn't know the manufacturer. Anyway, the thread was very helpful :D
Old 03-12-2004, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

Actually I ordered a Dragon Intake, but I can't give you much information on reliability because mine still has not made it here yet. It is supposed to be here Monday. I personally like them due to their look
Old 03-12-2004, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i hear that those intakes are pretty noisy... if thats what you want go for it.. but i would recomend the k&n typhoon
Old 04-07-2004, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Any idea on where you can buy the oil for the filter itself that you wash off after cleaning it? Just posted on the long thread but was hoping one of you would know. Thanks for the reply guys.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

theres some article on the web... they tested intakes of all kind.. stainless steel, cone, foam, etc..

foam has decent/good air flow but POOR filtration.. had one of the worser of them all.,
they like tried all kinds and had a white cloth between the filter and the car..

the foam one was dirtiest.. i took off the hks intake i had off my previous car because i read that article.. K&N filters and APEX filters rated the best. actually i think they both have alifetime warranty, and they manufacture a cleaning kit you can use every like 15000 miles or something..

i wouldn't choose weapon-r, choose injen, aem, k&n, anything but not weapon-r..
Old 04-07-2004, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Thanks joey. I'll see what Leo will post on his thread. Asked him the same question... :D Will probably buy an Injen now
Old 04-07-2004, 04:41 PM
obz
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't tell me this stuff! I've got a weapon-r coming in the mail! According to the dyno results against the injen, the weapon-r intake had an extra 1 hp gain. Not noticable at all. I've talked to a couple people with the dragon intake and they think it's great! I guess I could e-bay it if I wanted, or try and sell it on here. I'm all worried now about the sponge filter.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:07 PM

Wasnt that the one that was dyno'd in 4th as opposed to 5th, making the gains seem higher?

Old 04-07-2004, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

our cars should be dyno'ed in 3rd gear for peak HP 4th gear is sometimes used also to compare against

- Brian
Old 04-07-2004, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i wasn't referring to HP in this whole post, i was just saying that foam filter let a lot more dirt in compared to paper cone filter's.

i dunno about HP, but i think between 1-3 hp difference, you would want a filter that would keep your engine the best, afterall we drive in all conditions, not a closed racetrack.

i just didn't recommend weapon-r because of the foam issue..

i have no idea about hp because its all over 1 hp or 2 hp difference.. its your own preference, just get what you want, cuz seriously dyno results may vary each time due to the car, weather, temperature, gas, everything has a factor, nothing can be exact.. everything works, EL, SPFR, INJEN, K&N, HKS, BLITZ.

cold air intakes will give u more hp than short ram.

ill post the website i was talking about that had the review as soon as i find it.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member

Personally, I wouldnt get the weaon R... Only know one person who had a dragon intake, but didnt quite turn out to be any good. My friend had one on his '02 maxima, and after about a week, it threw a cel. We checked, and it seemed to have messed up the MAF sensor, where he had to get a new one. Like someone mentioned above, i would recommend intakes that utilize foam style filters. Wouldnt recommend Blitz for street/daily use either. Just my opinion n thought.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SRD_xB
Like someone mentioned above, i WOULDNT recommend intakes that utilize foam style filters. Wouldnt recommend Blitz for street/daily use either. Just my opinion n thought.
sorry :oops:
Old 04-12-2004, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

So all their claims on the foam filter was better was false... anyway, I'm still waiting for WEAPONRLEO to reply to my post on his thread but no response. I guess he wasn't monitoring his thread (because he was supposed to be). Anyway, Thanks guys for the info. very informative.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh, I ordered a Weapon-R intake cause I could get it fast. I wanted the Injen but it was going to take a week and a half. Well the Weapon-R came in the other day, well it had the wrong parts in the box. So I sent it back and bought the Injen...

I'd have to say stay away from Weapon-R after what everyone has been experiencing.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yuripogi
Any idea on where you can buy the oil for the filter itself that you wash off after cleaning it? Just posted on the long thread but was hoping one of you would know. Thanks for the reply guys.
You can buy a K&N filter charging/cleaning kit at any kragen or pepboys. This should work for pretty much any filter I believe the price is about 15 bucks.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

here is the way i see it. Get the one that appeals to you the most. Choosing one intake over another because an extra hp is stupid. Get the one u like more, that is what i did. I orded a WeaponR in Feb, but the company that sent it totally screwed everything up and i have yet to receive the right one. That company is bull____ Abtivan Concepts but as far as a weaponR intake goes, i heard a lot of good things as well as bad things. But for every part you will get good and bad responses
Old 04-13-2004, 04:25 AM
obz
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got one all ready to go if anyone's interested. I bought it and decided that I think I want an exhaust instead. $100 plus shipping. Check it out in the private party section.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i ordered the weapon-r a while back from prostreetonline. after sending me two xb pipes i finally talked with leo at weapon-r and he's straightening everything out for me. it seems like the places that sell weapon-r's items are not all there when it comes to shipping out the right items or shipping on time from what i've read about. i ate shipping costs twice to send it back to them. you're better off just spending the couple extra dollars and buying direct from weapon-r and getting everything right the first time. leo is a nice guy over at weapon-r, was eager to help me and get my situation resolved quickly. :D