Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Driving home from work yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Driving home from work yesterday...

I was stopped at light and across the intersection from me was a black Honda Element. As their light turned green and they went poast me, I saw both the driver and the passenger craning their heads to get a better look at my car. I thought it was pretty funny. Has anything like that ever happened to anybody on here?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member

haha, that's cool. I do that all the time when I see an xB. I just love the unique look they have and I love to see what people have done to make them more unique and personal. :D
Old 05-25-2006, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default xb cruising

Yeah my friend has a black honda element when i told im I was getting a box he laughed then when he saw how amazing they were he wanted to trade in his more expensive element for a new toaster.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had Element drivers stare me down as i pass several times now.

The best so far was an element driver rolled his window down and asked me why I got an xB instead of an element.

"Gas mileage, looks, and style"
Old 05-25-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think Element owners have buyer's remorse. When a guy I know found out that I got an xB, he was telling me about how expensive his Element was(~$22k), how his gas mileage isn't that good(low-mid 20's), and that he should've gotten an xB. I couldn't believe that they (Element) could cost that much with all that unpainted plastic on it's exterior.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

In my town, the Element owners hate us box owners.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They just hate you because next to the xB the Element might as well be shaped like a VW beetle , they only thought their car was shaped like a box until they actually saw one that IS.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:33 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hate those stupid coolers theirs one who leaves near me and were all ways fighting over the same parking spot
Old 05-26-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for some odd reason Element owners say to me, Is it really that spacious inside? Im like yeah, and let them sit inside (i do have like 20 friends with elements) and they say wow.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's curiosity, because they know that their car is the closest thing to a Honda version of the xB. I don't think the opinion is necessarily negative. They probably get the same "why'd you buy that jappy box lookin' thing?" attitude from people too.
The first time I had the chance, I was checking out the interior of an element. I was curious. I don't think it's anything like the xb (except for the exceptional aerodynamics). If anything, I think it's stupid how it's setup to be like some kind of offroad vehicle or something.
The Element commercials are funny-- "...part surf wagon."? huh? I think people like the element for various reasons, but it's definitely not a car that looks cool.
As far as the element being expensive- Yeah. Honda sales people are funny too.
My dad (always an american car owner) was checking about getting an accord, because of the Honda reputation for quality. I wasn't there, but he told me that Honda dealers don't try to sell the car to you. He said the attitude was like: "I've got the Honda, now you deal with me." He decided to get an Avalon instead.
Other people have told me the same thing about their experiences with Honda dealers. That the American Honda attitude is that Honda is so great- everybody wants one.
Maybe this is why Toyota has surpassed them in the US market.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member

I remember when the Elements first came out, they got awful side impact ratings[still do]. I was looking at them with my dad a few years ago, and I liked them other than the matter of safety
Old 05-27-2006, 09:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by evilBOXevil
I think it's curiosity, because they know that their car is the closest thing to a Honda version of the xB. I don't think the opinion is necessarily negative. They probably get the same "why'd you buy that jappy box lookin' thing?" attitude from people too.
The first time I had the chance, I was checking out the interior of an element. I was curious. I don't think it's anything like the xb (except for the exceptional aerodynamics). If anything, I think it's stupid how it's setup to be like some kind of offroad vehicle or something.
The Element commercials are funny-- "...part surf wagon."? huh? I think people like the element for various reasons, but it's definitely not a car that looks cool.
As far as the element being expensive- Yeah. Honda sales people are funny too.
My dad (always an american car owner) was checking about getting an accord, because of the Honda reputation for quality. I wasn't there, but he told me that Honda dealers don't try to sell the car to you. He said the attitude was like: "I've got the Honda, now you deal with me." He decided to get an Avalon instead.
Other people have told me the same thing about their experiences with Honda dealers. That the American Honda attitude is that Honda is so great- everybody wants one.
Maybe this is why Toyota has surpassed them in the US market.
Yeah this is the culture they teach them....a buddy of mine sells Honda and told me the attitude is"not everyone can own a Honda"... dang you would think it was an Aston Martin....I was like yep that is why I bought a Nissan and a Scion....and the Pilot was cheaper than my Murano.......
Old 05-28-2006, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I’ve heard people refer to Elements as “sneakers” or “gym shoes.” They really do look like classic kicks. I’ve never looked inside one; always have wondered how they compare. I do like the idea that you can just hose out the interior -- does it really work that easily?

But even if they were actually the same price I would never trade my box for one!
Old 05-28-2006, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-scion-xb.html
Old 05-28-2006, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i cant stand to compare these two cars i mean ones a actual car and ones a plastic crap thing you get with your happy meal come on people
Old 05-28-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Ive actually had families come up to me at gas stations that drive SMELEMENTS and ask me how good of a car they are, how good the gas mileage is, and just comment me on it, and my response wants to be "Thanks, now why dont you go trade that plastic barbie car in for one"
Old 05-29-2006, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

had a guy with an element pull up next to me at a light on my way home from work, he revved at me and i looked at him like he was stupid...... so i had to take him to school
Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Itgb
I think Element owners have buyer's remorse. When a guy I know found out that I got an xB, he was telling me about how expensive his Element was(~$22k), how his gas mileage isn't that good(low-mid 20's), and that he should've gotten an xB. I couldn't believe that they (Element) could cost that much with all that unpainted plastic on it's exterior.

Buyers remorse huh? I bought my xB in January of 05, in November of 05 I traded in my wife's scion tC on an 06 Element...Without the unpainted plastic. As of 2006's they came out with a EX-P model that has color matched plastic.

this thread has my response to xB vs element:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121968

As far as a real distinguishing feature....show me an AWD xB? Or an xB that can fit a 60" serving table in the back. On the flip side show me an element that gets 30+ mpg or is as sexy as the xB. As I said in the other thread.... Diff'rent strokes for Diff'rent folks.