First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

The first-known convertible Scion xB!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

oops.... old news means it's bumped to general xB.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't hit it.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont like it.

i like convertibles but i am very picky. i think for some reason it makes it look cheap

i dont know thats just my opinion.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member

the top is not my thing, in fact I wonder is a box with a cloth top still a box, or is it a basket? ut I do give props to anyone who put 7,000 in their car on an Idea that might work.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kenchimuyo
Hmmm...he converted a box into a basket!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max2k
I wouldn't hit it.
lol i thought the same thing
Old 09-02-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sure does look like a pumped up Cabriolet.

Its too big and open for a convertable IMO!

Its been posted before and yet there still only ONE! hmmm
Old 09-02-2005, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup the 2006 box beetle
Old 09-02-2005, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have seen it rollin the streets of Long Beach with the top down and I say hideous!!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member

first ever and last xB convertible. Why is this guy so proud??
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

^^ cuz he is the only one with it.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gag!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 AM

Default I now own this

I bought this from him a few years ago. Was working on making a "JUNGLE BUGGY" type convertible for my wife. And bought this for me.

I pulled of the mechanical top and put on a snap top. I didn't like that the roof was so tall on rear when retracted. Motors and switches still in ... but unused.

Painted it a marine blue ti look more like a fun convertible.

It now lives in richland wa.

but you should see the jungle buggy.

http://www.gazettes.com/scion09012005.html

Resident Creates First Convertible Scion

By Steve Irsay
Staff Writer

At first, there is nothing special about a ride in Belmont Shore resident Charles Tentindo’s black Scion xB.

The air conditioner is cranking, keeping the boxy interior cool. The gentle purr of the 108-horsepower engine occasionally revs to a growl courtesy of a cold air intake system that kicks out a few extra horses.

Nothing special, that is, until Tentindo pulls over, unhooks two metal latches on either side of the windshield, lowers the back windows and flips a small switch on the console.

In a matter of seconds, the car’s black ragtop peels back effortlessly, allowing the Friday afternoon sunshine to flood the previously dark interior. Tentindo, a self-described “creative type,” has created what he claims is the world’s first convertible Scion.

“That we know of,” he adds quickly.

But maybe not for long. Tentindo, a Long Beach native who also runs his own video production company, FlyingDirector.com, has teamed with Placentia-based Newport Convertible Engineering to market the Scion xB convertible conversion, with his own car serving as the prototype.

The custom process takes four to six weeks and cost about $7,000 for a manual top and $9,000 for hydraulic, he said.

So far, it’s just a concept. But the concept may have more than just cottage industry potential.

Car customization may be as old as the automobile itself, certainly dating back to the mid-20th century rise of the hot rod. Now, more than ever, some experts say, manufacturers are looking to — even following the lead of — innovative enthusiasts like Tentindo in developing their lines.

“I saw a lot of people doing really unique things with Scion, but they never structurally changed the car,” said Tentindo, who bought his xB two years ago. “We live in Southern California and I thought this would be a cool vehicle as a convertible.”

Matthew Kahnamelli, vice president of Newport Convertible Engineering (NCE), agreed when Tentindo pitched the idea last year. NCE has a history of pioneering popular convertible lines, often before the car manufacturers themselves.

In 1998, the company introduced a limited line of Beetle convertibles five years before Volkswagen did. And in 2001, the NCE chopped the tops off several four-door PT Cruiser models, four years before Chrysler introduced it’s two-door convertible version. Kahnamelli said he sees potential for the Scion xB convertible.

“The car is in high demand,” he said. “Making it a convertible — that is the ultimate look for any car out there.”

Making Tentindo’s xB convertible involved much more than just chopping off the top. The four-month process involved completely stripping the car, reinforcing the undercarriage and adding other safety features like a roll bar just above the front headrests.

“The car is safer now than when it came out from the manufacturer,” Tentindo said, noting that the procedure does void the manufacturer’s warranty. “And when you drive it, it’s tighter and feels more solid.”

The prospects for his Scion convertible line are further bolstered by the fact that the cars are expressly made to be customized.

Toyota debuted the Scion line in mid-2003 with the xB and compact hatchback xA. The next year, the sport coupe tC was added. All three are offered with up to 40 interior and exterior accessories from the dealer.

Steve Hatanaka, accessory operations manager for Scion, said the company was aware of Tentindo’s convertible conversion and admitted “that is the first one we’ve seen.”

“We think it’s pretty cool,” he said. “The brand itself is all about personalizing and customizing. The fact that someone went out and personalized the car to the point of making it a convertible is pretty interesting for us.”

Of course, Scion did not pioneer accessorizing. The company essentially tapped into the thriving culture of compact car customization known as “tuning,” according to Peter MacGillivray, vice president of marketing and communications for the Specialty Equipment Marketing Association, a trade group for companies that sell automobile accessories.

Aftermarket modification — anything added to a car after it is purchased from the dealer — is a $31 billion a year industry, MacGillivray said.

Ten years ago, SEMA did not even track the sport compact, or tuner, niche, he said. Today, it is the fastest growing market segment, accounting for $4.1 billion in retail sales last year.

Some of the most popular tuner cars include the Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Subaru WRX and Ford Focus — relatively inexpensive models that are easy to personalize, even for people who do not consider themselves “gearheads,” MacGillivray said.

“We are seeing more and more mainstream consumers taking an interest in personalizing their cars,” he added.

And manufacturers are taking notice too, often looking to custom shops and individual enthusiasts for design ideas.

Tentindo, who also is an actor, said he would love to see his Scion creation catch on. (His other recent invention is a six-foot standing music keyboard he calls the “zen riffer.”)

For now, he said he will enjoy the curious looks he gets when he’s stopped at a red light with the top down.

“It’s just fun to be unique,” he smiled.

For details, go to www.xvertible.com, or call 434-7777.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow, that's crazy... old topic resurrected!

The links didn't work, but I would love to see how it looks now!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:14 AM

Default photo link to current ... hope it works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vapm7khtkdhs7n/20130608_210322.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2waohlqwhkkygx7/20130608_170341.jpg
Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 AM

Default one more

The original was 2004

Jungle buggy is 2006

Had a 2005 I was going to make a flatbed pickup out of ... but daughter hit a deer on way to college.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Definitely unique! Not sure I like it with the top on, but looks like a fun little summer runabout.