Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Forced induction longevity

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default Forced induction longevity

You scion owners who like in like Soulth Dakota or Green Bay might be okay boosted, but I live in So.Calif and commute to Palm springs and other areas where it regularly gets well over 100 degrees. I have no dought unless you lower the compression etc.. it is a hand grenade waiting to have the pin pulled regardless of the manegment system. Think about all the turbo cars SCC magazine builds they all seem to blow up or you never hear of the car after a couple of issues. and they spend alot more for the goodies than most of us who buy scions. I could be weong but I dont think toyota will ever come out with a forced inductuion bolt-on kit for the states mabye a sports model in a year or two though. that would be fun. but im not gonna spend thousands in order to most likley blowing my motor to fork over another 5k to toyota for a new engine on a 13k car
Old 04-09-2004, 09:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as it is installed properly and pushing only the boost the engine can safely handle than they will last a very long time. The biggest part is researching the platform it is to be installed on and then testing the system out on several different cars for a long period.

I know with Grand Prixs we are able to get about 350hp 400TQ out of the engine before you need to start upgrading internals. Typically piston rings. Even at that level several GP's are now pushing 100k on the odometer because it has been done properly.

The reason SCC ones are not heard of after a couple years is because the boost they are pushing is right at the safety limits of the engines normally. Same goes with most boosted cars once people start fiddling with them.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Forced induction longevity

Originally Posted by xb slowon
You scion owners who like in like Soulth Dakota or Green Bay might be okay boosted, but I live in So.Calif and commute to Palm springs and other areas where it regularly gets well over 100 degrees. I have no dought unless you lower the compression etc.. it is a hand grenade waiting to have the pin pulled regardless of the manegment system. Think about all the turbo cars SCC magazine builds they all seem to blow up or you never hear of the car after a couple of issues. and they spend alot more for the goodies than most of us who buy scions. I could be weong but I dont think toyota will ever come out with a forced inductuion bolt-on kit for the states mabye a sports model in a year or two though. that would be fun. but im not gonna spend thousands in order to most likley blowing my motor to fork over another 5k to toyota for a new engine on a 13k car
That's what sensors, engine management and a good tune are for. With the above in place your only set back is the integrity of the parts you are using.