Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Greddy Ti-C Exhaust Review

Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Default Greddy Ti-C Exhaust Review

So, I just got back from a vacation back home, and when I walked in the door my GReddy exhaust was sitting there awaiting to be heard. As soon as I tore the staples out, a bright glow shined from beneath the bubble wrap and cardboard. The chrome from the muffler lit up the box revealing the blued titanium tip. Taking the catback exhaust system from the rubble and debris, I took it into my arms, knowing I was already in love.

The GReddy Ti-C Catback Exhaust System definitely is one to stare at for a few minutes before installing. The heat treated titanium tip was alot more impressive than I imagined. Maybe it's just me being excited, since this is the most bad ___ exhaust I've ever had.

Installation of the exhaust was basically simple. A friend, who had plenty of tools including ramps, was "supposed" to help me out with the installation. But, I was too impatient and decided that my cousin and myself would have no problems. I started by chocking the right rear tire, and using the stock scissor jack to lift the car off the ground. Starting the removal of the stock exhaust, starts with the clamp that holds it tight in place. After loosening the bolt, stretching the clamp out a bit, and sliding the clamp toward the cat, I was ready to move on to the rubber hangers. These hangers were no fun whatsoever! I used a medium sized screwdriver, and my stock lug wrench. After about twenty minutes of twisty, prying, and pulling. I was about ready to start breaking things. Then, I had an idea! I took a bottle of cream car wax, and applied a small amount around the hangers to allow the rod from the stock exhaust to slide out of the hangers. The wax certainly helped. And after finally getting that old dirty exhaust out of the way, it was time to throw on the new one.

Before I done anything else, I put the exhaust gasket on so I wouldn't forget about it later. With two people, sliding the shiny new exhaust into place was pretty easy. Slipping it into the hangers was simple, since the rubber hangers were already lubed from the wax. After getting it into place, all that was left was the clamp. Making sure the gasket was in place, and everything looked good, we tightened down the exhaust clamp, and thought we were done. We noticed that the tip was up against the left side of the opening for the exhaust on the rear bumper. We tried to adjust the position of the exhaust, but nothing seemed to work. One option remained....zip tie. I'm not to big on zip ties, but I've worked in a couple body shops, and some people swear by them. After all, zip ties are better than bailing wire. So, I hooked two zip ties together, and attached them through the metal hanger to the right of the muffler. Now, that the installation was complete it was time for the test drive.

The sound coming from the GReddy exhaust was gentle, yet throaty while accelerating to higher rpm's. Unlike alot of exhaust system you hear on the road anymore, this one doesn't sound like stock exhaust with a three inch hole in it. No bumble bee coming from me! I drove it through a parking garage Saturday. That was fun! I could almost set off car alarms on all the Subaru's and Audi's.
When accompanied with my AEM cold air intake, the GReddy exhaust sounds awesome taking off from a red light!

So in conclusion, anyone looking at the GReddy Ti-C Catback Exhaust System will not be disappointed. With a medium growl, and a throaty snarl, you can't go wrong.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

dang i remeber when i had it on my 1st gen i loved the sound it made especially with my injen shrt ram combined also when i would down shift to be honest i regret selling it..... here is a sound clip of when i had it on mt 1st gen
Old 04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

This is just an axle back through, right?

I want installed pics!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

just an axle back
Old 04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i have had this on for about .... 8 months-ish, and this exhaust is definitely awesome. so much better than the TRD i had.

here's a clip of it first turning on ...

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/awlin...7/MOV02023.MPG

it's so sexy. props for the right choice in axle-back!
Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Eff, that's a sexy tip.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

yeah, i'm really enjoying it. I think it sounds great. Does anyone know if the siliencer comes out. because, it said the tri-mounted siliencer does come out, but i couldn't get it.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Looks like it's bolted in...
Old 04-07-2008, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

yeah it is. you take out the three little bolts and the tip comes off, then you can grab the siliencer, but it doesn't budge. the exhaust was a little warm when I tried to get it out, so I'm thinking metal expands when hot, shrinks when cold? Maybe I should try it when the exhaust is cold as well as the weather.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah it comes out. i've taken it out and put it back in multiple times. you need a coat hanger or something that has a hook on the end of it. basically the silencer is like a plunger, so you need to pop it out. it takes some coaxing, but it'll come out with a hard tug. the weather won't make that much of a difference ... let me just say, without the silencer, this thing is a bad boy. get ready to feel like you're box is gonna fall apart. ;)
Old 04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

use the back end of a rubber malet
Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Nice!
"I wanna hear it rumble!"
Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use pliers for silencers and works like a charm.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

what do you mean pliers? I hooked a coat hanger inside the silencer, and pulled until I was blue in the face, and it still didn't budge. I then got a buddy I work with that just got back from Iraq, had him pull on it too. Nothing, except he bent my exhaust a little toward the left. Does anyone make a tool to remove silencers? It's seems like it would almost be like a steering wheel puller.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

WOW all this when all you need is to remove the three little bolts around the tip and the tip and silencer should come out
Old 04-11-2008, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Nope. Trust me, three bolts came out, no silencer fell out. I swear I pulled like crazy on it, but it's super tough. There is gotta be some one who's done this that knows what the hell's going on.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

You gotta pull it when the exhaust is cold too. Otherwise, the heat causes the metal to expand a bit making the silencer really stick in there.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

dang it is weird cause i never had any issues when i would remove it other than striping the L-wrench
Old 04-11-2008, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Okay....I thought about the temperature, and the metal expanding, but I live in Vail, CO. It's around 32deg. today. So I don't think it could get that warm unless I drive it for a while. and...what's and L-wrench? I heard that apex-i makes a silencer puller for their exhaust systems, does GReddy?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

You would be surprised at how quickly an exhaust tip heats up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Greddy Ti-C Exhaust Review