First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Hauling Mountain Bikes Inside an XB

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Originally Posted by tcm_xB
Has anyone tried hauling a mountain bike without removing the front wheel? Maybe laying down? I have a Honda Trail Pilot that I like to ride at the local walk/bike track. I've been using my fathers truck to haul the bike before I got the xB.
I do it all the time. Here's how. Take off the rightmost backseat headrest. Open up the hatch. Pick up the bike so that the frame is horizontal, chain side up, and the front wheel is vertical, like the bike was turning sharp right. Angle it just a bit so the wheel goes in just a bit before the handlebars, and work the bike in so that the front wheel ends up right behind the front passenger seat.

One thing that helps: having a bungee cord running from the right hand brake to, oh, your bike's rack or somesuch. Keeps the front wheel pointing right, makes it much easier to get the bike in and out.

I have a 27" (pretty sure, but maybe 26") hybrid/comfort bike. The xB's front driver seat is maybe one or two notches forward of full back, and the passenger seat is all the way back. I can also put my wife's bike (smaller version of mine) on top of mine: the front wheel ends up just behind the front wheel of my bike, and I have to be careful of the pedals, but it fits.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I just built a fork mount platform For my xb I picked up the mount at performance bike and bolted it to a Shelf I picked up at home depot. The whole thing cost around 15 dollars and works pretty good. I do have a road bike size is 52cm and I had to put it at an angle unless I want my rear wheel sticking out between the front seats. The Drop bars of a road bike and the 700c wheels make it tougher to fit then a mountain bike.
I can post a picture later if anybody wants to see it.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well, I am still standing by the fact that in no form or fashion is there a way to put two mountain bikes in the back of an xB without laying them down on top of each other - which in my book is not a valid solution... roof rack is a requirement...
Old 08-27-2004, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

great post. Thanx for answering a question I had about it that the dealer wouldn't get back to me on. I was concerned about not being able to put my bike in when I take delivery, and hadn't seen a roof rack (nor do I really want to spend the money on one) It's funny. You can't just stuff a bike in anything. My Cannondale goes fine laid down sideways in the back of my 318ti hatchback. But at the previous company I worked for I was suprised to find when I had the company H2 on the weekends- I could not in any way figure out how to get the bike stuffed into it. Just wouldn't fit in that "big" truck- HA! Same goes for the Explorer sport we had. I think I could get it in by reefing the forks just the right way, with them about to tear the fabric out of the front seats. The rear seat folds up against the back of the fronts and wipes any hope for space out. I love functionality of hatchbacks and it's good to see the box still has it for being small. I was amazed that I could get more into a Corrado, a golf, or a 318ti, (and apparantly the XB too) than you actually get into a giant H2, or "utilitarian" Explorer 2 door.