Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Help With Emissions Testing (OBDII Problem)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:25 PM
SL Member

Default Help With Emissions Testing (OBDII Problem)

So my tags are up on my '04 xB this month and I went yesterday to get my emissions test done (I live in AZ btw). Most asking why I waited..well I figured it was a simple OBDII test and it should be smooth sailing. Wrong, lol. They said my OBDII is "Not Ready". I replaced my batter about 3 months ago and I also have an ignition interlock device on my car. They said the battery changing might have caused this to happen.

They compared this scenario to a sleeping computer telling me I just have to shake the mouse around and wake it. Well maybe they didnt realize this is a car; not a pc and I cant just 'shake the mouse around'.

Has anyone else had or seen this problem?! I just took a paycut at work and dont really have extra money to have a mechanic look at my car. I am hoping the dealer might help me out but not sure.

Thank you!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you disconnect the battery the ECM memory is erased. The "memory " contains either fault codes (if there is a problem) or readiness data that shows all the emission components (Evap, Cat, O2 sensors, etc) have been verified as working properly. When they run OBD2 test and it shows that not all of the systems are verified (ready) that's a Fail. It may take few drive cycles after the memory erase for the ECM to set all the monitors to "ready". If the Cat is working really good, the monitor for it will set within 50 miles of driving or so. EVAP may take longer. If the system is not performing very well (old Cat, lazy O2 sensor, etc) the ECM will wait longer before it confirms it as either working or not (and will turn on the Check Engine light). Driving short trips may not set some things as "ready" at all- you may need cruising speed and higher RPM for more than few minutes than during city driving.
Another possibility is improperly installed alarm or interlock that kills battery power to the ECM every time you turn the car off- the memory will be erased every time.
They should have told you specifically what system is "not ready" to get better idea of what to do. But basically just do some freeway driving and keep the gas tank more than half full.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It takes awhile for the car to test everything to "be ready"
Did you drive it more than a few minutes before the test?
If your ECU re-set when you disconnected the battery it may take a few start-stop ( on off cycles from cold to operating temp) to be ready. Had a Van that needed 50 on-off cycles to be ready, not sure on the scions , mine usually said it was ready after warming to 184 ( operating temp) and driving 5 miles.

I also have an 04 , hope I don't run into problems , and I live in the Republic of California , the real good smog state.