First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Help''...Still have knock/ping running 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Default Re: I just called another dealer.....

Originally Posted by Taknitez
I called another dealer. The service guy there said that it is "not" the knock sensor since my "check engine" light is not "on". He said as long as it is not on, then the knock sensor is performing as it should and they will not replace it.

He did tell me to try another brand of good gasoline such as Exxon or Mobil...etc....since it could be the type of "detergents" that BP may be using.

Does this sound right to you all as to what he said and what he thought about the gas and knock sensor??
He must be a very good mechanic if he can diagnose your car over the phone. Suppose your CEL is not working. Have you checked for any error codes yet?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:32 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Default Re: I just called another dealer.....

Originally Posted by Taknitez
He did tell me to try another brand of good gasoline such as Exxon or Mobil...etc....since it could be the type of "detergents" that BP may be using.
i still wouldn't use those gas companies... look up top tier gas.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

anyway... if you're still under warranty.. i would definitely have it looked at thoroughly
Old 08-29-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was under the impression that we were not supposed to run 93 octane. maybe i heard wrong
Old 08-29-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

^^No, you heard right. 87 is all we ever need!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default thanks

Well after a major computer screw up on my part......

Please forgive me for the posts......

1. hi
2. hi
3. for the 93 Octane Ping Post.

I meant to just reply to this one. I contacted "Troy-Scion Administrator" to help me out with that dumb as. screw up......

anyway....

As you can see from the other posts, my tech guy is gonna do everything and check everything possible on it, under it, beside it...etc. He is gonna hook it up to the computers as well . He knows I am upset and is gonna do everything he can.

Thanks for all of the advice , keep it coming and thanks for the gasoline tips''!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro_b
...87 is all we ever need!
Yes, the engine was made to run on a minumum of 87 octane, and there is no need to use higher octane - unless you want a little more power under full throttle.

References:

1. The 2005 xB was advertised by Scion to make:
108 hp 6000 rpm
105 ft-lb 4200 rpm

2. The 2006 xB was advertised to make:
103 hp 6000 rpm
101 ft-lb 4200 rpm

3. The Owners Manual, Section 2, Page 114 says:
OCTANE RATING
Select Octane Rating 87... or higher.
Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating or research octane number lower than (87 octane) stated above will cause persistent heavy knocking. If it is severe, this will lead to engine damage.

4. Tech Literature:
DIAGNOSTICS - SFI SYST
DTC P0325 - KNOCK SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT - CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
Knock sensor is fitted on the cylinder block to detect the engine knocking. This sensor contains a piezoelectric element which generates a voltage when it becomes deformed, which occurs when the cylinder block vibrates due to knocking. If engine knocking occurs, the ignition timing is delayed to suppress it.

Items:

1. There was no change to the 2006 engine to cause the reduced power and torque.
2. 87 octane is the minimum that the engine will run on without knocking.
3. The engine has a knock sensor that retards the ignition to stop knocking.
4. Retarding the ignition reduces power.
5. The knock sensor cannot retard the ignition enough to prevent knocking on octane below 87.
6. The octane language in the 2005 and 2006 Owners Manuals is the same.
7. The words "or higher" after 87 octane are significant.

Statements (without a source):

8. Scion tested the 2005 engine on premium gas.
9. For 2006 Scion was told to either (a) retest the engine on the 87 octane gas recommended in the Owners Manual, or (b) explain that the engine would run on a minimum of 87 octane but made more power on premium. Scion chose to stay with the present language in the manual, and so had to de-rate the engine to 103 HP using 87 octane.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42

9. For 2006 Scion was told to either (a) retest the engine on the 87 octane gas recommended in the Owners Manual, or (b) explain that the engine would run on a minimum of 87 octane but made more power on premium. Scion chose to stay with the present language in the manual, and so had to de-rate the engine to 103 HP using 87 octane.
I doubt that you will find a source, since I don't believe you're correct. As was widely reported at the time, the change in the xB's HP ratings (and those of many other cars from a number of manufacturers) was due to a tightening of the SAE standards.

See this thread and others for discussion: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...422214#1422214

RichC
Old 08-30-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by kevets
out of curiosity... why run 93 octane?
It avoids the knock sensor's retarding ignition when knocking is sensed under heavy load on 87 octane. The 2005 xB was rated at 108 hp and higher torque because tested on premium, vs the 2006 at 103 hp on 87.
nope. it's cause of new sae standards. tis the reason all 06 toyota's have less power than their 05 counterparts. even in motors requiring premium both before and after.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

this knocking/ping you are hearing is the way these crappy lil 1.5's sound it isn't ping or knock , if it was youd be having massive problems by now. maybe if you drive with a heavier foot. accel more rapidly. then you won't even know about the crappy sounds this motor makes.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
I doubt that you will find a source, since I don't believe you're correct. As was widely reported at the time, the change in the xB's HP ratings (and those of many other cars from a number of manufacturers) was due to a tightening of the SAE standards....
Yes, the standards (rules) were tightened so that for 2006 Scion could no longer recommend regular in the Owners Manual and then test the car on premium to get 108 HP. The new rules said to rate the HP on the fuel mentioned in the manual.
I have not seen an original source, just this:
Originally Posted by Tomas
... What the SAE is requiring now is that the engines be run with all their normal loads attached and with the tuning, FUEL, and lubricants recommended in the manual.... This is ZERO changes to the engine, only changes in the rules they have been tested under for years… (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/pos...uote&p=1066693)
Old 09-01-2006, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
... The 2005 xB was rated at 108 hp and higher torque because tested on premium, vs the 2006 at 103 hp on 87.
nope. it's cause of new sae standards. tis the reason all 06 toyota's have less power than their 05 counterparts. even in motors requiring premium both before and after.
They have less power because the new SAE standards said HP ratings had to use the same fuel as recommended in the manual.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

... The 2005 xB was rated at 108 hp and higher torque because tested on premium, vs the 2006 at 103 hp on 87.
They have less power because the new SAE standards said HP ratings had to use the same fuel as recommended in the manual.
then why would the 4.0 toyota v6 go down in horsepower as well? old tests used 92 or 91 whatever premium , and the manual explicitly says premium only. so their numbers should not have gone down. but they did.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I think they just changed the method of measuring the HP ratings.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I asked Scion Customer Experience if the 2006 reduced HP was due to different gas or something else, and here is the answer. Guess I will go back to regular gas

Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006
To: <...@insightbb.com>
Subject: Scion xB horsepower and torque [Incident: 060901-000071]
... The difference in the xB's horsepower rating from 2005 to 2006 is reflective of revised testing standards for horsepower set forth by the SAE. The engine design, engineering, and fuel used remains unchanged. The difference is due to the fact that previous testing for horsepower from engines did not include the parasitic drag associated with the operation of a power steering pump. The SAE revised their testing standards to test with a power steering pump operating with the engine.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

that's what i've been trying to say.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

that's what i've been trying to say.
Me too me thinks
Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

More to come...

We now know that the xB was downrated to 103 HP due to the power steering pump. Scion's answer about the 5 hp loss being caused by the power steering pump did not really answer the question of whether the knock sensor operates more often on 87 octane, and whether that further reduces power.

I have asked Scion if there is any advantage to premium if it avoids the knock sensor. When the knock sensor retards ignition timing, that reduces power.

If:
1. You have a manual transmission, which the engine management cannot downshift when it senses a knock.
2. You are using 87 octane, below which the manual says the engine management cannot prevent knocking when knocking occurs.
3. You are accelerating with full throttle a mid-range rpm, which is a condition what would cause knocking.

My question to Scion was based on the above scenario:
Compared to 87 octane gas, does premium gas avoid knocking, avoid the knock sensor's retarding the ignition advance, and thereby avoid some reduction of whatever power might be available?

Some thoughts:
1. With 87 octane gas, if the knock sensor is working, you will never hear knocking. The piezoelectric element of the sensor retards the ignition the instant it picks up the particular vibration frequency that it is looking for in the engine block.
2. Only Scion would know how much power is lost when the knock sensor comes on. It could be that the power lost is insignificant. People have said they cannot feel any more power from premium gas. Some have even said they feel less power.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to screw up your xB.....use 93 octane.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

More to come...

We now know that the xB was downrated to 103 HP due to the power steering pump. Scion's answer about the 5 hp loss being caused by the power steering pump did not really answer the question of whether the knock sensor operates more often on 87 octane, and whether that further reduces power.

I have asked Scion if there is any advantage to premium if it avoids the knock sensor. When the knock sensor retards ignition timing, that reduces power.

If:
1. You have a manual transmission, which the engine management cannot downshift when it senses a knock.
2. You are using 87 octane, below which the manual says the engine management cannot prevent knocking when knocking occurs.
3. You are accelerating with full throttle a mid-range rpm, which is a condition what would cause knocking.

My question to Scion was based on the above scenario:
Compared to 87 octane gas, does premium gas avoid knocking, avoid the knock sensor's retarding the ignition advance, and thereby avoid some reduction of whatever power might be available?

Some thoughts:
1. With 87 octane gas, if the knock sensor is working, you will never hear knocking. The piezoelectric element of the sensor retards the ignition the instant it picks up the particular vibration frequency that it is looking for in the engine block.
2. Only Scion would know how much power is lost when the knock sensor comes on. It could be that the power lost is insignificant. People have said they cannot feel any more power from premium gas. Some have even said they feel less power.
power steering pump?

ummm no....

04 xb's were rated at 108 hp and they have the same ps pumps as my 05 which was rated at 106 or 108 i don't exactly remember , and the same pumps as the 06's which are rated at 103.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member

power steering pump?

ummm no....

04 xb's were rated at 108 hp and they have the same ps pumps as my 05 which was rated at 106 or 108 i don't exactly remember , and the same pumps as the 06's which are rated at 103.
The difference is due to the fact that previous testing for horsepower from engines did not include the parasitic drag associated with the operation of a power steering pump. The SAE revised their testing standards to test with a power steering pump operating with the engine.
This, to me, sounds like the power steering pump was not hooked up for previous HP tests. Maybe the pumps are identical, but it seems it was not belted up according to the source.

Hopefully the OP gets his knocking situation ironed out. This HP argument does nothing to help him.

Originally Posted by chazm
If you want to screw up your xB.....use 93 octane.
Why is this, exactly?

Quick Reply: Help''...Still have knock/ping running 93 octane