First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Help''...Still have knock/ping running 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default UPDATE ON MY PINGING

Well, first off, thanks to all who replied.

Your never gonna believe this......

On a hunch, I did not go back to my usual BP gas station(s)! As my tank got lower on 93 BP, I took that other techs advice and of some of you on here and went to one of the "TopTier Fuel Stations". I went to a Shell Gas Station near my house....

Filled up with "87" octane and well........It is "FIXED" or so it seems.

The pinging has just about left and even with the a/c on! On my second tank of Shell 87 and I cant hear a thing.

WHATS UP WITH BP FUEL??.......My car pings with two different gas stations of 93 BP, but is ok with regular 87 Shell???

I dont know after all of this if I can ever fill up with BP again. And trust me everyone, I was the "BP KING"! Not now. Remember , "two" different gas stations on complete opposite sides of town made my car ping and with 93 even. Then I go hit some old Shell station (funny how they have "Quality Fuels" written on their pumps) and get their regular 87 and my problem slowly fades away.

Thoughts anyone???
Old 09-06-2006, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

why would you buy bp gas in the first place? lol .

but the two bp stations you go to probably get teh same fuel soooo the reason they both suck is that.

try chevron much better than shell and worth the few pennies more. and still probably cheaper than bp 93 , hell probably even cheaper than bp 89
Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... We now know (from Scion Customer Experience) that the xB was downrated to 103 HP due to the power steering pump. Scion's answer about the 5 hp loss being caused by the power steering pump did not really answer the question of whether the knock sensor operates more often on 87 octane, and whether that further reduces power. I have asked Scion if there is any advantage to premium if it avoids the knock sensor....
Here is Scion Customer Experience's answer on that last gas question:
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:09:12 -0700 (PDT)
To: <...@insightbb.com>
Subject: Scion xB horsepower and torque [Incident: 060901-000071]
"… The vehicle is engineered and tested using 87 octane fuel. We recommend that fuel for optimum performance, reliability, and fuel economy on the vehicle. The vehicle does make the same power at maximum throttle position on 87 octane as it would on higher octane fuel."

Also, here is a paste from the 2006 Tacoma Owners Manual showing that if high octane will improve performance, the manual will say so:
(2TR-FE is the 2.7L I-4 and 1GR-FE is the 4.0L V-6)
OCTANE RATING
2TR-FE engine - Select Octane Rating 87 or higher.
1GR-FE engine - Select Octane Rating 87 or higher. For improved vehicle performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 or higher.

So that's it. Our xB manual just says 87 or higher, with no benefit from the "higher".
Old 09-07-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB_Gunnz
...This, to me, sounds like the power steering pump was not hooked up for previous HP tests. Maybe the pumps are identical, but it seems it was not belted up according to the source....
Yes, the 2005 SAE standards allowed the engine to be rated without the pump, while the 2006 standards required that engine be rated as it would be driven, with the pump connected.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For Taknitez (Original post): Yes the BP gas is different because it comes to the US from Venezuela and is not English Brentwood crude. For laymembers that means it's higher in sulphur content, and thus does not provide the 'refined' nature that those of us who are using Chevron gas are used to. (more pollution and byproducts as well).

For vintage42: as recently as '05, GM got away with disconnecting the DRL setup to minimize alternator drag for MPG estimates. My understanding is your depiction of the rules change is accurate.
For all of you!: ARCO and BP are the same gas and distribution company.
I changed my stereo to read 'carpe diem'. That's Latin for 'Sieze the day'. If I had room, it would also say 'caveat emptor'. That's 'Buyer Beware'.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1anonymous1
...For vintage42: as recently as '05, GM got away with disconnecting the DRL setup to minimize alternator drag for MPG estimates. My understanding is your depiction of the rules change is accurate....
GM did not get away with anything in the sense of bending the rules; they just followed the 2005 SAE rules for all vehicles. And it was not really my depiction; it was Scion who actually explained that the SAE rules changed in 2006.
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006
To: <...@insightbb.com>
Subject: Scion xB horsepower and torque [Incident: 060901-000071]
... The difference in the xB's horsepower rating from 2005 to 2006 is reflective of revised testing standards for horsepower set forth by the SAE. The engine design, engineering, and fuel used remains unchanged. The difference is due to the fact that previous testing for horsepower from engines did not include the parasitic drag associated with the operation of a power steering pump. The SAE revised their testing standards to test with a power steering pump operating with the engine.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1anonymous1
... BP gas is different because it comes to the US from Venezuela and is not English Brentwood crude. For laymembers that means it's higher in sulphur content, and thus does not provide the 'refined' nature that those of us who are using Chevron gas are used to....
Yes, Venezuelan oil is not light (low viscosity) sweet (low sulfur) crude. It has more viscosity and sulfur than light sweet. It takes special ships to handle it (stronger pumps and perhaps some heating), and it takes more refining to remove the sulfur. However, the resulting gasoline, whether sold by BP or Citgo, meets the same standards as any other brand and is not inferior or "less refined".