Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How fast is this box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member

Default How fast is this box?

Hey all im just checking how fast an xb with 6,000 in mods to engine just wondering if i should buy one?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what engine mods are you talking about. we wouldnt be able to tell you anything without knowing that.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member

Same old stuff headers, air intake, possibly turbo, exhaust, i would get new suspension, brakes hwo fast would a car with all this go an xb that is?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if its turbo, then i guess it would go faster than a stock xb since ur prolly talking about 130 to 140 or so hp compared to the stock 108 hp. but with most of all the other stuff (excluding turbo) they only provide minimal hp which is pretty much the stock hp being freed up. it will just be quicker to go as fast as the stocks seeing that these are not race cars.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hello,
i think you might be able to go maybe 200 mph.hehehe!!
Old 11-03-2004, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by lonewolfxb
hello,
Yeah, if you park it in the belly of a C-17 Globemaster.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$6K will get you a lot. The blitz supercharger is $3k, you could do that, an exhaust, header, and intake for a little over $4k in parts. I don't know much about engines, but I imagine you could do a swap for that much. It's not going to be a racecar ever, but you could make it get out of its own way.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

it's a xB, the vehicle is not built for speed, I understand modding and tuning it out, but the car will never ever be listed and or catagorized as a fast automobile...

6,000.00 would be better placed in fabrication and sound....,in my eyes anyways..
Old 11-04-2004, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I was you I'd just spend the $1200 on intake, headers, and exhaust, then just make the car look/sound cool. That's just me.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

And realisiticly, where would you use a car with a ton of power legally anyway? THe only practicality I can see with it would be better acceleration times which could help merging onto a crowded highway easier. Unless you take it to a drag strip, driving it more than 90mph on a highway is kinda foolish and very dangerous. In my opinion.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by the_saint
Originally Posted by lonewolfxb
hello,
Yeah, if you park it in the belly of a C-17 Globemaster.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by NHGrafx
where would you use a car with a ton of power legally anyway?
power... hehe... yeah... 140hp... FREAKIN' BLAZING HORSEPOWER....

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY, come see the nitro xB on display.... SUNDAY.... BE THERE!!
Old 11-04-2004, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by mgithens

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY, come see the nitro xB on display.... SUNDAY.... BE THERE!!
Yeah, it's got a hemi.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Max2k
$6K will get you a lot. The blitz supercharger is $3k, you could do that, an exhaust, header, and intake for a little over $4k in parts.
the superchargers/turbos almost alway have their own intakes...

Now that was too funny

te biggest obsticle for top speed in our boxes is the gearing.
my 5spd does
4K at 80 mph, it doesn't leave a ton of room in the tach for much over 130. (if i know the gear ratios i could tell you the mechanical top end)
Old 11-04-2004, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
Originally Posted by Max2k
$6K will get you a lot. The blitz supercharger is $3k, you could do that, an exhaust, header, and intake for a little over $4k in parts.
the superchargers/turbos almost alway have their own intakes...

Now that was too funny

te biggest obsticle for top speed in our boxes is the gearing.
my 5spd does
4K at 80 mph, it doesn't leave a ton of room in the tach for much over 130. (if i know the gear ratios i could tell you the mechanical top end)
actually you already have the numbers... if redline is 6000, then top speed is 120... because 4000 = 80mph... but that is theoretical, because your car maxes out top speed when the horsepower being produced is equal to the drag... so it doesn't matter what rpm, because horsepower is a unit of work, and drag is the opposite... if we only have 50hp, then our top speed would be about 70... and it wouldn't matter if you have 4spd or 6spd tranny... gear reduction DOES NOT increase horsepower to the ground... it changes tourque which is why 1st is so much "quicker" than 5th...
Old 11-04-2004, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the question **as i read it**

if you had 6000 and could work the motor for more HP
what would the top end be.

the answer is about 125-130 mph (due to gearing limitations, red line in top gear)

now the real question is how fast can you reach top speed??
Old 11-04-2004, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the question **as i read it**

if you had 6000 and could work the motor for more HP
what would the top end be.

the answer is about 125-130 mph (due to gearing limitations, red line in top gear)

now the real question is how fast can you reach top speed??
ding ding ding u got it right
Old 11-04-2004, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well, besides the motor work, you'll need to find a better way to plant that power.
being a light car has some disadvantages...
Old 11-04-2004, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well, besides the motor work, you'll need to find a better way to plant that power.
being a light car has some disadvantages...
ah, now we have a contradiction... why do you need to weigh more??

top fuel dragsters weigh about what our car weighs... but they are over 6000hp... they can do 0-60 in under 1 second... how?? easy... it is called traction... and dont' believe that a stupid wing gives downforce at 20mph... it is because the tires are literally glued to the groun...

your exactly backwards on this one, you want to weigh less.. for performance it is usually measured in lbs per hp... so a 4000 lb Diablo with 600hp, is about on par with a 2000lb car with 300hp... but actually you could probably even get away with less on the lighter car... check out the new Lotus.. 2100lbs and 190hp.... and that thing is a rocket...

the reason that you think this way is because "in the days of yore", you could only get high horsepower in big engines which were typically available in large cars... but this isn't even close to true now... An EVO or WRX STi will whoop any production car from the 50s or 60s...

weight doesn't give you more traction, it gives you more inertia... so my point is that it is a trade off, and not "better"... if anything you want balanced weight, you need to look at things like center of gravity or front to back weight ratios... in a car like ours you might could benefit from having as much as 70% of the weight up front...

science time... take a weight, hang it on a string... accelerate smoothly in your car... the angle of the string is the sum of the accelerations of your car... at 0mph your acceleration is 32ft/sec/sec DOWN... (there is a nick name for it... "gravity")... okay, so say you can accelerate so hard that the string/weight swings up to 45 degrees, this means that the car is seeing equal acceleration from the earth and the car... there are maybe 3 cars on the planet that can pull this off from the factory... point being is that the weight is pointing in the reaction force direction that your car's center of gravity... you want this angle from the center of gravity to point to the driving wheels... so this is why rear wheel drive cars have it so easy on the drag strip... but under light acceleration this pendulum doesn't swing very much so for a normal front drive car, you will have better traction... so this is why people prefer FWD on ice... and RWD do better at the track...
Old 11-04-2004, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mgithens
ah, now we have a contradiction... why do you need to weigh more??

top fuel dragsters weigh about what our car weighs... but they are over 6000hp... they can do 0-60 in under 1 second... how?? easy... it is called traction... and dont' believe that a stupid wing gives downforce at 20mph... it is because the tires are literally glued to the groun...

your exactly backwards on this one, you want to weigh less.. for performance it is usually measured in lbs per hp... so a 4000 lb Diablo with 600hp, is about on par with a 2000lb car with 300hp... but actually you could probably even get away with less on the lighter car... check out the new Lotus.. 2100lbs and 190hp.... and that thing is a rocket...
nope did not get this one wrong... just did not clearify myself...
finding a better way to plant the power to me means RWD or AWD

and the disadvantage of the light car is in conjunction with FWD. the transfer of weight during aceleration off the front wheels will let them break free easier...

and the dragster has the drive wheels at the very end of its wheelbase. and its wheelbase is somewhere near 225 inches (scion xB 98.4) which helps leverage the wheight transfer.

Quick Reply: How fast is this box?