First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How Much Snow

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How Much Snow

Ok, OK I know it is July but I was wondering if anyone has been in snow with the xB? If so how much. It does seem to sit low compared to other cars. Up here in Michigan this is something we have to deal with. Well at least not for a few more months
Old 07-19-2004, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i drove our demo xB last winter during our one big snow storm. it actually handled pretty well. it even had 18" wheels on it. with the traction control and stabilty control it is very good in the snow. you shouldn't have a problem with it. it is not much lower to the ground than most cars. don't worry about snow...
Old 07-19-2004, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My current car has the same size tires as the xB. If I decide to buy an xB, I will use snow tires as I have been doing with my current car. You can get the stock size snow tire online for about $45-$50 each, and s&h is around $20 -- around $200 in all. I believe I ordered from www.tirerack.com. I see the ads in car magazines every month, though they won't start featuring snow tires for a few months yet. I wonder if they sell them year round?

Even if you don't like the idea of spending the $200, just remember that when you're using snow tires which help A LOT, you won't be wearing down your stock tires.

You can pay for snow tires and drive in winter conditions with security and confidence, or you can have a rough time during rough winter conditions with the stock tires... and have to replace them much sooner.

I'm sure the traction and stability control on the xB is helpful, but that type of tire (at least in my experience with my car) SUCKS dealing with ice/snow.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

What I was planning on doing was putting the stockers back on for the winter months that way your good rims don't get all salted up plus . already have em might as well get some miles out of em. Might need some different hubcaps though I'm hearing the stock one come off easily
Old 07-19-2004, 09:15 PM
obz
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro b
What I was planning on doing was putting the stockers back on for the winter months that way your good rims don't get all salted up plus . already have em might as well get some miles out of em. Might need some different hubcaps though I'm hearing the stock one come off easily
That's what I'm planning on doing too. I drove mine around this last year in the snow and it handled fine... better than I expected. I probably wouldn't recommend driving around on 17's or bigger during snow. I was in my Father-in-laws BMW 728i rolling on 20's and lost traction and ended up into a poll. Not great snow tires. :oops:
Old 07-20-2004, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone lower theirs?

I am thinking of dropping it a inch (h-techs) or so to get a better ride.

Don't want to end up with a snow plow on the front.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jethro b
I agree with you as far as taking ure good rims off and putting the stock wheels. As far as the hubs u really dont have to get new ones they really dont come off unless you want to take them off...U know what I mean??

I got my car the first week in March and drove in atleast two "Storms" The package of the ABS, TRAC and Stability work well in snow but as always u gotta be careful.

My 2 cents! :D
Old 07-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Banned
SL Member

Handled well in the snow and sleet. Like what people have said, dont rely on theelectronics (VSC, TracCTRL). Of note, according to the owners manual, when you are stuck in snow or mud, turn OFF the Traction Control.

However, before winter comes around this year, I will be replacing the stock goodyears. The tires are wearing out too fast. Bad Goodyear Eagle LS reviews on Tirerack. With 10K miles right now, even during the rain, the Ealge LS has issues.

BTW, when driving through the slush/salt/snow, I saw a lot of big SUVs on the side of the road
Old 09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

AK Rice Box. I've had mine in the snow ONCE. The ABS is better than I had on the Safari, and FWD with trac control is going to be pretty stable. Congrats on your purchase, and stay safe in the M.E.!
Old 09-15-2004, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clearance isn't really all that bad if your car is stock. It looks low because of the skirts, but the lowest part of the car is still underneath. If you drive on plowed streets or packed snow you should be fine.

However, if you hit a drift or drop into a hole under the snow, you'll be out several hundred dollars for those fragile skirts! Don't drive like the Olde Days in a VW bug, slidin' over the drifts on the belly pan!

George
Old 09-15-2004, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The "minimum" ground clearance on the xB is 6.1 inches which is slightly better than a car and only 3/4 inch less than the Toyota RAV 4.
The ground effects have about 8" of clearance, which is comparable to that of most cars rocker panels and lower bumper skirts.