Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

I feel sorry for the automatic's!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:00 AM

Default I feel sorry for the automatic's!

I feel so sorry for the guys that have auto trans. I've had my manual trans xB for almost a yr and coulnd't be happier. Tonight, my boss bought a brand new xB with an auto trans for the delivery vehicle for work. In short, after a night of deliveries....the auto trans SUCKS.
It feels like someone is pushing the car to start, instead of an engine doing the work. I don't beat on my xB, but I pulled into traffic once of twice, feeling very comfortable with driving my car, and had a moment of panic when I realized I wasn't moving like I had expected.
I know this comment is going to catch some crap. A man trans isn't for everyone, but if I hadn't gotten a manual, I woulnd't have bought the car based on what I experienced.
It's not a need for speed either. It just doesn't feel like it can get out of it's own way, and I can feel the parasitic loss of the automatic drive train in just about every gear. I was very dissapointed. It really compaired to my freind's Geo Metro in driving experience.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep it is a bit sluggish but it does have its advantages over a stir box.
I went from driving a Chrysler LHS to a box and the power difference is significant but the box is much lighter.
0 to about 40 seems peppy but over 40 things bog down considerably. It takes a bit of forethought getting on the x-way.
But I have been stuck in traffic for hours with a clutch wishing I had an auto then again that was a 69 Vette so I was able to grin and bear it!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member

well here we go .........i have an auto, and i love it ! i have driven both tho. the stick may be a little faster on the get go.... but...... when it comes to less hassle in traffic and high revs. the auto has the stick beat all to hell. the auto has a cool button on the shifter that you can down shift with nooooo effort. you come to a hill.... click your moving with flow,and for faster speeds at 80 mph im turning a fairly quiet 3200 rpm in a stick the revs are much higher and hence noiser. but there is one big differance here im 55 yrs old and i dont have to drive like im being chased by the cops! lol slow and easy!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a manual trans. Before i bought the car, i test drove the audo a the dealership, and it just wasnt for me. I felt a lack of power, and peppyness. I know the auto would have its advantages, like heavy traffic driving, but i love my stick
Old 10-14-2006, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: I feel sorry for the automatic's!

Originally Posted by xBen700
I know this comment is going to catch some crap. A man trans isn't for everyone, but if I hadn't gotten a manual, I woulnd't have bought the car based on what I experienced.
I don't feel bad for those with the auto. I think the performance is comparable to other other cars in the price range. The stick makes it feel faster than it actually is because you have to do something.

I too probably wouldn't have gotten an xB if I had wanted an automatic. Only because I got bored driving my last automatic and would want a good manual shift mode.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by horseshoebob
well here we go .........i have an auto, and i love it ! i have driven both tho. the stick may be a little faster on the get go.... but...... when it comes to less hassle in traffic and high revs. the auto has the stick beat all to hell. the auto has a cool button on the shifter that you can down shift with nooooo effort. you come to a hill.... click your moving with flow,and for faster speeds at 80 mph im turning a fairly quiet 3200 rpm in a stick the revs are much higher and hence noiser. but there is one big differance here im 55 yrs old and i dont have to drive like im being chased by the cops! lol slow and easy!

well said!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've owned 8 cars. Only one of them was an automatic--and I totaled it.

I love manual tranny'd cars, there's more connection between the car and driver.

HOWEVER--the ratios in our 5-Speeds could be better. I drive about 50 miles each way to work and home, most of that on the interstate at around 80 MPH. That translates to 4K RPM. It does drone on the ears and the wallet. At that speed I can't get better than 31 MPG Hwy.

Now, would I rather have an auto? No. Do I feel sorry for Autos? No.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB automatic transmission is about the best there is, and does many things better than the manual transmission. Freedom from shifting in stop and go traffic jams, instant downshifts with the button, lower rpms at cruising speed, quieter cruising, better mileage, and the intelligence to learn the shift points that suit how hard you drive.

That last item might be the most important for me. Countless times I had rented a cheap 4-cyl automatic car and flogged the rubber band engine and transmission. Flooring it for power, waiting for the delayed jerky downshift, hearing the engine scream, then a second later backing off the throttle when the need for power ended, and feeling the transmission jerk again as it upshifted on deceleration. Over and over again in aggresssive traffic driving.

But I didn't even give the xB automatic a chance. I got the manual. I love the instant response to full throttle, the fast acceleration (9.6 sec 0-60), the complete control over shifting, the muted resonance of the exhaust as the engine bites into each gearchange, the effortless clutch and the smooth shifter.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont feel sorry for my Auto... I got plenty of power to get out of my own way and a manuals too...
Old 10-14-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stick here and loving it!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heh, if speed is the issue, then yeah of course, automatics are not as well equipped. if driver-car connection is the issue, then yes, automatics aren't quite there. however, when it comes to cruising and just moping around town, autos have it over the manuals by a long shot.

i personally haven't learned manual yet, though i've been into the whole car/automobile industry/culture whatever since i was 13. my friend drove my auto xB for a little bit the other day, and he was surprised at just how smooth it was. he drives the last gen VR4 GTO. so yeah, i'm quite happy with my auto.

but i would love to try out the manuals sometime.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I've never had any appreciation for an auto with a 4 cyl engine other than a newer Camry I drove once. All the cars I've had experience with don't have much acceleration and they sound like they are dying to do the little they can. Sure they are better in stop and go traffic and the gearing is better for high speeds and economy but the doggedness of them is just too much for me. I'd rather do the extra work in traffic and lose a few MPG to have the extra acceleration. It's something I like to call comfort power. I'm comfortable that I can get enough power out of it to handle most driving situations without risk to my life. Plus it's so much more fun in spirited driving.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

I love my auto !
Old 10-14-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Love my auto. It does what I need it to and it hardly complains.

I also have a civic which is a manual....
Old 10-14-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get both the auto will shift manually just fine. besides if i want to have a shifty experiance i'll just hope onto my bike
Old 10-15-2006, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Drive on California freeways then come talk to me. I love my auto. Less I have to worry about whule driving.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by bBlover
Drive on California freeways then come talk to me. I love my auto. Less I have to worry about whule driving.
Been on Cali freeways in a manual and it was FUN! (when things were moving)
Old 10-15-2006, 12:33 PM

I agree there are good points to autos, but for the most part they're all convenience in an xB. If it where say, a BMW M6....then an auto would be glorious to help control the power, but in a car that makes barely over 100 hp I could do without the parasitic loss of an automatic drive train.
And unless you have arthritic knees I can't see traffic being so over-bearing. I broke my foot and had a cast for 2 months and I still managed to bang the gears on my old Mustang.
I don't mean to trash people for no reason, everyone has thier different needs in a car. However, I was personally almost embarrassed because my co-workers where driving it and thought mine was just like it.
The gearing is nice and tight, but 5th could use a few more teeth. I just throw my "tunable exhaust" baffle in on long trips and I hardly notice the exhaust over the sweet sounds of rock and roll......
Old 10-15-2006, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an auto with a Greddy Axleback and that sluggishness at takeoff is gone for me.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an auto. ( ;o;)

It doesn't matter though. My "fun" car is a 5 speed. This box is is for gas saving & people moving purposes. ( ^_^) <3

Quick Reply: I feel sorry for the automatic's!