Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Just drove my first xB manual . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just drove my first xB manual . . .

Liked it better than the automatic. I like to feel as if I have some degree of control over the vehicle. My observations:

The clutch feels like a hydrolic in/out box! There didn't seem to be much user control of the clutch other than smoothly letting it out--not a true connected feeling.

It is easy to beat the shift with the clutch being desensitized. One would have to be careful getting familiar with it. I did grind a little coffee twice because of it.

The shift gate felt good. Wonder how much the short throw kit improves that? It's short enough as it is!

The ratios seem rather short-legged. Not so bad going up to third, but fourth and especially fifth need more reach. I did experience the 3500 rpm at 70 mph. It wasn't intrusive but I wonder how this extra 500 rpm effects longevity and economy.

While whistling around some sweepers (the sales girl let me go by myself!) I noticed the top heavyness and had to slow down. How does the stability control activate and does it effect braking on different wheels? Are sway bars best for enthused drivers like myself?

I did notice a dash buzz at 4000 rpm. Also, a popping sound when letting off the throttle (only happened twice while being semi-vigirous). Is the a common fault?

I definitely prefer this over the auto.

Please, gimme some feedback. What do you manual owners think?

PS. Haven't driven the tC but looked it over--still prefer the xB.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same dash vibration, in or around the cluster. i don't sweat it though, i'll be pulling out the cluster to put some gauges to the left of the cluster soon. as for the drive, love it. i test drove an auto and thought it was ok but the manual is by far better. the little 1.5l is pretty peppy with the stick, it surprised me. it's really a fun vehicle to drive.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dash buzz you mentioned has plagued some owners, and it can be fixed if you have the time and tools.

I agree the throws are decent, the TRD short-shifter lessens it about 20%, and there are others that lessen it even more, but also shorten the shifter up to 3". You get used to the clutch over time and control of it gets better.

I've never heard the "popping" noise you mentioned. Not sure what that could be...

The VSC applies the brakes to certain wheels, to slow you down and balance the vehicle.

For your driving, lowering it with springs would be the best gain. You can also get a front strut bar, rear sway bar, and a chassis brace for even better results.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The popping sound came from the drive train after letting off the throttle at high revs in second gear. Seem to come from the left front just ahead of the dash.

Seems like I've read on this forum elsewhere that some guys have had the same thing and took them back in for tranny work--although, this doesn't sound tranny, more popping CVJ or something.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default manual

I didn't even test the automatic - gotta have a manual. I haven't noticed any popping or grinding, but then I drive pretty sanely (translate: boringly ). However, when I need to get up to speed entering a highway, I have no problem in my '05 xB manual. I have noticed high rpms on those rare occaisions that I go 70 mph, and a small dash vibration noise. I just turn the music up a bit!
Old 06-29-2004, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member

There's a TSB for the dash buzzing. I took my xB in for the repair last week. They wound up taking out the whole dash and lined everything with felt. No more buzzing, nice and quiet.