Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Max payload capacity 920?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 01:20 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

Default Max payload capacity 920?????

I test drove the XB again. The second time I was happier with the ride and the car. The dealer siad the second time was the trick. I want it for the economy. I have decide if I can drive a small box. I am not used to it. I also am concerned with the engine. The Max payload of the car was rated to be 920 lbs. Does anyone have any info on hauling around a full car and how the care drove???

BTW I also rode the TC. The TC was not so impressive. It was clearly peppy and it had a sports car feel to it. I found the A/C was weak, the rear visibility was not that good, it looked like a lot of other cars out there, the gas mileage was not that impressive for a car of its size and engine, and the brakes were not that tight. Also, the auto gear shifter was like a thin stick. I decided to nix the car. It does not meet my needs.

DrG
Old 07-01-2004, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Max payload capacity 920?????

Originally Posted by DrG
I test drove the XB again. The second time I was happier with the ride and the car. The dealer siad the second time was the trick. I want it for the economy. I have decide if I can drive a small box. I am not used to it. I also am concerned with the engine. The Max payload of the car was rated to be 920 lbs. Does anyone have any info on hauling around a full car and how the care drove???

BTW I also rode the TC. The TC was not so impressive. It was clearly peppy and it had a sports car feel to it. I found the A/C was weak, the rear visibility was not that good, it looked like a lot of other cars out there, the gas mileage was not that impressive for a car of its size and engine, and the brakes were not that tight. Also, the auto gear shifter was like a thin stick. I decided to nix the car. It does not meet my needs.

DrG

xB's are not made to tow anything at all just to haul people and things inside
Old 07-01-2004, 03:57 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

I realize that the car is not going to tow anything. I am concerned about having four people in the car and it not having any power. I want to know if I have my wofe and two kids in the car it will be able to move on a highway and have some kind of pep left.

DrG
Old 07-01-2004, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I moved my brother out of college in my box. We loaded it up with ~600lbs of stuff along with the two of us. It drove fine, except merging was kinda scary.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by DrG
I realize that the car is not going to tow anything. I am concerned about having four people in the car and it not having any power. I want to know if I have my wofe and two kids in the car it will be able to move on a highway and have some kind of pep left.

DrG
Yes, you can be up to 70 miles per hour by the end of most ramps.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have had 6 people in my car and believe me it drives just fine. We were going to Six Flags (NJ) and I was coming from NY...It usually takes a regular driver (Doing 70-75) about an 1 1/2...It took me about 1 hour doing 90-95 and I was hauling 6 people with the A/C on for kickers and It worked just fine. BTW I don't have a CAI but if I did it would have been even better...you can really feel the difference between a car with CAI and one without it....

Just my 2 cents....
Old 07-01-2004, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by ikhonlord
I have had 6 people in my car and believe me it drives just fine.
6 PEOPLE Must have been real tight squeeze..
Old 07-01-2004, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Fr8mvr
Originally Posted by ikhonlord
I have had 6 people in my car and believe me it drives just fine.
6 PEOPLE Must have been real tight squeeze..
LOL...Tell me about it...the funniest thing was when someone that pulled next to me asked me how many inches I had lowered my car.... :D :D

The seating arrangement was as follows:

Front - Me Driving.. :D Big Guy! and My girl next to me

Back - My Best friend (140lbs), his girl (95lbs - She was laying on top of everybody), another friend (160), my GF sister (90lbs)....So yeah...It was interesting... :D
Old 07-01-2004, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It runs just fine with tht weight in it.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i drove from kenshi's auto in hanford to stockton with a b16a2 and a b18c engine in the back...along with a passenger and me....no problems....cruise set at 80mph on 99

just the motors were around 800lbs....
Old 07-02-2004, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xB has a bumpy ride; that's the only thing that I hate from xB.
as for tC, I'm really dissapointed with the car.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I did some research and found the majority of other cars in the xB class have very simmilar payload limits, so its not just the xB.

I think the xB's looks is what is decieving. It looks like a small compact SUV so one would think it could carry more than 920lbs.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, 900-1000 capacity is standard for cars in that class, and most of those cars have similar power. The xB gearing gives you good accel, so a normal load will be fine. I've taken some coworkers to lunch a couple times, and total we're at least 900 pounds, no problems. Don't expect to race it, but don't fear it won't go either.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had four 200+ pounders in the car with no complants, either about space or performance.

George
Old 07-02-2004, 09:19 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

I hope you guys are right. Because I just ordered mine. I was lucky and I went in when they unloaded a few cars. The dealer told me that because he had good sales last month Scion allocated hima few unexpected cars. So, I will have THE XB in Thunder cloud metallic in a few days. All I added was the Cold Air Intake, The Strut Bar, a pin stripe , and an alarm with remote start( a frill). I did not put on a rear spoiler or any mats. I figure I will get mats later and I did not need the spoiler. The car, with tax , came out to be 18,100.

DrG
Old 07-03-2004, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DrG
...All I added was the Cold Air Intake, The Strut Bar, a pin stripe , and an alarm with remote start( a frill). I did not put on a rear spoiler or any mats. I figure I will get mats later and I did not need the spoiler. The car, with tax , came out to be 18,100.

DrG
Congrats on your TCM. I narrowed down my choices to either TCM or PW, and went with PW. I don't want to rain on your parade, but $18100 seems like a lot for the xB plus the few accessories you listed. I'm figuring the dealer charged you close to $2K for those accessories, and labor to install them? That's about what I paid for my 2005 PW, but my "accessories" also included 18" wheel/tire package, DC Sports STB, floor mats, door sill protectors, fog lights, and the labor to install.

Also, the xB is by no means any kind of speed demon. Yes it has plenty of room for 4 large adults, but you have to realize it only has a 1.5 liter engine with 100 or so hp and torque. It's perfect for me, my wife, and two kids, and their school bags and swim bags. Not much room for anything else, but the xB has a style all its own.

A guy came up to me at the gas station today, telling me his wife really wanted an xB. I told him the base price with a 5-speed was just over $14K, and there were all kinds of accessories she could order. I opened the doors and rear hatch so he could check it out, and he was surprised at how large it was on the inside. He asked about the rear tail lights, and I told him they were stock. He has a Tahoe with 22" wheels, and liked the look of mine with the 18s and TRD springs. He was amazed that I had 18s on there, he thought they were 16s! When I told him I've been averaging in the low 30's for mpg over the first 1000 miles, he was pretty much sold. I'm sure he and his wife will be visiting some Scion dealers this weekend!
Old 07-03-2004, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that 920 pounds is nearly a half-ton. There are some full-size pickups that are rated at a only a half-ton, and the driver is part of that load!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want to say that the Element ( the SUV everyone seems to compare the xB to) has a payload of less than 600 lbs...

So dont feel bad about 920 lbs.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Banned
SL Member

Im surprised you got in on a xB with such little notice. It looks to me that there is a waiting list in most parts of the country to get your hands on an xB now a days. I know my dealership never has any on the lot anymore, and i pass along there once a week. It used to be that he had at least 2, but not any more. Extra allocation is goooood. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:08 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

I thought that 18,K was a lot too. But that includes taxes of 1,451.10( 8.75%). The dealer charged 225 for the strut, 565 for the CAI and 650 for the alarm and remote starter. I relaize it was a bit costly, but I am not going to modify it any further and I don't want to hear that any problem was due to after market installs. Plus, I have no time to play with the XB. I need it on the road with little down time.

As for availability. I live on Long Island. I have only seen one XB on the road -ever. When I talked about the XB to my friends they did not know what it was. Then again, I am 53 and my friends all drive luxury cars. They all think I am losing it or I have financial problems. Neither is the case. I just think the XB is practical and different enough to stand out as not being just another econo-box. I also want to give it to my daughter whe she starts to drive next year. The dealer has about 6 XA's just siiting there. He also just go 3 three TC's. I figure, I will be the first one on the block- or my neighborhood.

DrG