First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

more windshield rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default more windshield rant

Ok for all who said it was my driving and not the windshield on the xB here is alittle more prof. My wifes xB with only 750 miles on it now has a rock chip.I have not been driving her car and she works from home so she doesnt drive as much as I do.Mostly shorter trips.But there it is..

I think the windshields on the xB suck A$$.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think its so much the windshield... its more the design of the car... obviously if you were driving a sedan or smaller call the windshield is angled which helps both with the flow of air over the car which will deflect debris and rocks right over the top with minimal impact... the xb however is nearly vertical so the aerodynamics of it doesnt allow the air to flow over as smoothly with will increase the chances of harder impacts... and on top of all this the xb is an economy car... they have cut a few corners and im sure the windshield is the best one they could have used... my windshield is cracked completly across and i was pulled over a few weeks ago and i need to replace it... im gonna to upgrade it with ppg glass or fuyoa or something like that... theres a post around somewhere...

and your driving probably has little to do with it... i have maybe 6 dings and stars in my windshied... one was casue by a toyota corolla that was driving at least 100 feet in front of me...
Old 06-18-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

dollar5 is right on my opinion but the glass does seem to be softer if you can't describe glass as soft. I need a second windshield now. I have a chip that became a crack and today while I was washing the car it ran about another 10 inches. Most of the chips I had on my first windshield and the one I have now came from cars/trucks going in the opposite direction. A couple came from trucks on the interstate. I don't follow too close. There's nothing I can do when they are passing in the other lane and kick something up.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Of course the design of the car lends itself to a cracked windshield, driving style or not. It's practically 90 degrees. I've never been to Japan but i would imagine over there they don't have as many big trucks or as much road debris. I heard that they have areas of road that are made of some foam rubber stuff that is sectioned to be removed and replaced in minutes if it is damaged. Why can't we learn from other's expample? Like i said in the previous rant i have been lucky so far but i think about it everytime get on the highway. Nothing you can do. $h!t happens.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's the soft glass. the design will always lean towards getting chips BUT i know that my aftermarket safelite windsheild is much more chip resilient than stock was.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Bsbox
Of course the design of the car lends itself to a cracked windshield, driving style or not. It's practically 90 degrees. I've never been to Japan but i would imagine over there they don't have as many big trucks or as much road debris. I heard that they have areas of road that are made of some foam rubber stuff that is sectioned to be removed and replaced in minutes if it is damaged. Why can't we learn from other's expample? Like i said in the previous rant i have been lucky so far but i think about it everytime get on the highway. Nothing you can do. $h!t happens.
it is nowhere near 90 degrees. many , many trucks have much more flat windshields than we do it;sd the large , semi flat AND low to the ground.

and foam roads? that'd have to be SOOOO much more expensive to maintain and would most probably have to be replaced much more often.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

soft glass? lol that in itself makes me giggle.

bro, your windshield is FLAT as in barley angled. duh ur gonna get rock chips, if your goin to complain about it then get rid of your box, if you dont like it, next time research a car before you get one.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by honey0bucket

bro, your windshield is FLAT as in barley angled. duh ur gonna get rock chips, if your goin to complain about it then get rid of your box, if you dont like it, next time research a car before you get one.
Or if you dont like my rant then dont read it or reply.A$$
Old 06-19-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Windshield have to meet DOT standards. They arent any softer than any other windshield. Problem is that they are at a greater angle then most which make them more prone to a direct hit rather than a glance.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by RaginCajun
Windshield have to meet DOT standards. They arent any softer than any other windshield. Problem is that they are at a greater angle then most which make them more prone to a direct hit rather than a glance.
just because there is a dot standard doesnt mean that some use better glass than others.

and yes there is soft and hard glass. density vares.

maybe the stock glass is actually harder thus cracks easier.

all i know is i drive the same roads the same speeds and during the same length of time my safelite windshield is faring much MUCH better than the stock one did.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by honey0bucket

barley eh ? is that like beer angles now ? ha ha ha ha ha . giggle yourself. and yes glass can be soft.....

someone can love everything about a car but still complain about a really crappy feature... aka love the box hate the windshield problems. still makes a great car just has a problem. and last I checked people could complain if they wished to.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As I said in one of the 30 or so other xB windshield topics...
The windshield on an xB is a very large, nearly vertical, fairly flat hunk of glass being pushed down the highway at high speeds while just three feet from the ground.

Most other vehicles do NOT have windshields this vertical, this large, and this flat, this close to the ground, and with a very short hood in front of them.

The chances of an xB windshield taking a 'fatal' hit from road debris is higher than any other common vehicle I'm familiar with.

This is NOT something to sue Toyota over - the materials are not at fault.

If you don't like the risks associated with the xB's design, move to another vehicle that has a smaller, or more sloped, or more curved, or higher mounted windshield, or that has a large prow out in front to deflect debris...

So many in the US are too litigatious - unwilling to accept their own risks and are always trying to blame someone else for every problem. Sad

(I'm on my third windshield, but that's because my original would not withstand four large chunks of concrete paving being hurled through it, and the first aftermarket replacement windshield was defective from the factory.)
(I believe some of the aftermarket xB windshield replacements ARE better than the OEM glass - and some are worse. The outer layer of the Fuyao, for example, appears to be pretty tough, and possibly a bit thicker than the original.)

Since this is yet another in a long line of xB windshield topics, though, I'm going to have to lock it. Sorry!

Tom