Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

New fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just purchase some gas cans and place them in the back. Bigger gas tank, oh brother.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a professional driver.. my biggest concern with installing a larger fuel tank on a toaaster is the increased exposure to fire in the event of a crash,, It would seem to me that the space surounding the existing tank is used as a "crush zone"..if one was to eleminate this by using a larger tank.. the resulting exposure to puncture/fire is a major concern.
as a side note. the Peterbuilt carries 300+ gal. has gone as much as 1800 mile between fills.(6.5 mpg)
285 gal fillup x $3.26 per gal..= $929.10 every other day...ouchies
Old 05-15-2006, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree that Safety could be a big concern with a bigger tank don't know that there is room for an extra tank.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ready to be flamed..

Ok then...

A fuel cell in the cargo area with a solenoid drop valve. Run the OEM tank empty...drop in the reserve fuel .....

Fuel cells are less likely to rupture in an accident.

This is called thinking INSIDE the box.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally believe the capacity of the factory tank on the xB might be "marginal" for the vehicle, but I probably wouldn't consider more than a 20-30% increase to be reasonable. The xB isn't designed as a 'long-haul' vehicle, but as an 'Urban Utility Vehicle' - an around-town general-purpose wheeled box, a "Metro Marauder."

I've jacked up the fuel capacity of some of my vehicles - one of my Toyota Land Cruisers had a 57 gallon capacity. Thing is, the extra capacity was required for extended off-road travel where there weren't gas stations every few miles...

Running 'round town I'm seldom more than a mile from a refill, and scooting along the metro area freeways it's usually no more than maybe ten miles between options.

On trips there is sometimes a 40 mile gap, but even then, that's within range of the "Hey! Stupid! Add fuel" light. :D

In those areas where it might be 100 miles to the next fuel stop, intelligent drivers (all of us, at least, right?) plan ahead and make sure they have the fuel load required.

I can see those who consistantly put on 200 miles or more a day (0.001% maybe?) might want a larger capacity, rather than 'wasting' 5 minutes a day refueling, but those on long trips should really be stopping at least every 300 miles just to get out and do one lap around the car, if nothing else.

I'll stick with my tiny tank.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

supertanks.com makes tanks for diesel trucks- I doubt they would be hot on the idea of engineering a tank for a tiny xB. Diesel fuel also behaves differently, which is why it's possible for them to add a bolt on tank.

Also, is $875 for a tank really worth it? You could probably save that much in gas by choosing your fillup station wisely.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz
Something as simple as a gas tank could void your brake warranty. Again, you are increasing the overall weight of the vehicle which will impact certain systems, like your brakes. I saw the dealer tell a friend of mine that his brake rotors were not defective because they were wearing every 20K miles, the result was that the combined weight of him and his wife were the contributing factor to the failure of the part.

Combined they weighed close to 900lbs, and therefore were blamed for the excess wear and no warranty for you .. Cruel, but true in there case.
This is just dealer BS. What car would have a cargo weight of less then 900lbs. Only way I could see some crap like this working is on a motorcycle or some tiny sports cars, (but being fat myself, no 2 people with a combined weight of 900 are riding in either one together).. I mean even the xB/XA are rated to haul more then that.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dunno about the xB, but manufacturers will often sell vehicles with different tank capacities in different countries. Australian and South African vehicles are often outfitted with larger tanks, to reflect the larger distances between gas stations.

As to figuring out if that's true for an xB and how to actually get one, you're on your own.

I wouldn't put an aux tank anywhere behind the rear axle because of the exploding Pinto scenario... and you could probably have a new oversized tank fabbed locally to fill the available space, but it'd be expensive, and would introduce fuel system warranty issues.

As has been pointed out, the actual tank capacity is 11.9 gal, giving a realistic hwy range of 350 miles between fillups...
Old 05-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uh, Spider, here is a quote from your Owner's Manual...
Vehicle capacity weight (occupants+cargo): 375 (825) kg(lb.)
Here's a recent thread...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=112221

(Still, though, that's nearly half a ton capacity, which is a lot for a tiny car. Many others have even less capacity...

Honda Element - 675 pounds
Honda Insight - 365 pounds

(I picked those two because when I first saw them I was amazed. The capacity of the Element does NOT match it's "supposed" SUV ruggedness and size, and the 4 passenger insight definately needs lightweights... My ex biz partner would almost max out an Insight all by himself - 6'7", 330 pounds.)

The rated maximum load capacity is something few people even bother to check on.

With the Honda Insight (a hybrid) the batteries weigh so much that there is little load capacity left - essentially one person and their luggage is all that "4 passenger" car can carry...

(UPDATE: I just checked the load capacity of the 5 passenger Toyota Prius (hybrid) and it's maximum load capacity is also 365 pounds, just like the Honda Insight. One more reason I think the hybrids are a poor joke with a bunch of "economy" numbers that do not make real-world sense.)